• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I have honestly never been so dialed in on the Pacers in over a decade...

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his entire point in mentioning the Raptors is that they AREN'T a juggernaut.

The tell me, why the hell would you even bring it up??? The point is, the Raptors aren't so dominant that the Pacers couldn't possibly beat them within the next three years.

Apparently according to the dynamite logic of this board, any team that finishes first in a conference in a given season is a superpower that the Pacers "can't ever beat". Listing the Raptors as a team "the Pacers will never be able to beat" is just flat-out lazy. I guess the 2015 Hawks and 2011 Bulls were superpowers as well. We ARE better than both those franchises as we speak.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tell me, why the hell would you even bring it up??? The point is, the Raptors aren't so dominant that the Pacers couldn't possibly beat them within the next three years.

Apparently according to the dynamite logic of this board, any team that finishes first in a conference in a given season is a superpower that the Pacers "can't ever beat". Listing the Raptors as a team "the Pacers will never be able to beat" is just flat-out lazy. I guess the 2015 Hawks and 2011 Bulls were superpowers as well. We ARE better than both those franchises as we speak.

No, that isn't it at all.

The Raptors have a 0% of winning a championship this season. 0%.

If beating the Raptors and advancing a round or two in the East playoffs is your ultimate goal, then have fun with that!

The Raps almost certainly will undergo a total rebuild and be terrible before the Pacers will. But, that does not mean the Pacers will ever be truly relevant in a sense that they are legit contenders.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that isn't it at all.

The Raptors have a 0% of winning a championship this season. 0%.

If beating the Raptors and advancing a round or two in the East playoffs is your ultimate goal, then have fun with that!

The Raps almost certainly will undergo a total rebuild and be terrible before the Pacers will. But, that does not mean the Pacers will ever be truly relevant in a sense that they are legit contenders.

This

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pacers are quite the team, they'll give any team they face in the playoffs a tough ride come playoff time.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pacers are quite the team, they'll give any team they face in the playoffs a tough ride come playoff time.

No man, they suck...It's the exercise everyone's been practicing around here, didn't you know? :doh:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where the fuck did I say Toronto was a super team, you illiterate simp?

If you looked at the premise of my statement, it's that the Pacers aren't a good team in general and have no way of attracting prime free agents. Oladipo and Turner aren't getting guys like Kawhi, Boogie, etc. through that door. You have to have a GM like the Thunder do with Presti to make up for the fact that you're not a desirable location. On top of that, the Pacers are an average team and will be stuck in mediocrity.

Also, DeRozan's a good player. Your pointless pandering trying to convince everyone else that he isn't is very transparent.
I have statement that is somewhat of a question:

The Pacers are actually better in the standings then the Lakers right now and yet I think the Lakers have a better chance of attracting the prime free agents this summer where they had no chance at all two years ago.

My reason for this is that two years ago - the Lakers had a loser as president of basketball operations and simply had no reputation in knowing how to build a team. Subsequently - I think the Pacers in comparison might be in the position now - they simply haven't demonstrated to players that they are serious about building a contender and know how to do it. Subsequently - I would give Magic Johnson a huge edge over teams like the Pacers.

Would you agree with that or am I wrong?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have statement that is somewhat of a question:

The Pacers are actually better in the standings then the Lakers right now and yet I think the Lakers have a better chance of attracting the prime free agents this summer where they had no chance at all two years ago.

My reason for this is that two years ago - the Lakers had a loser as president of basketball operations and simply had no reputation in knowing how to build a team. Subsequently - I think the Pacers in comparison might be in the position now - they simply haven't demonstrated to players that they are serious about building a contender and know how to do it. Subsequently - I would give Magic Johnson a huge edge over teams like the Pacers.

Would you agree with that or am I wrong?

The Lakers probably have the edge in terms of attracting free agents simply because of their cap situation and the fact that one of our game's all-time greats (Magic Johnson) is their team president.

That said, the Pacers are focused on winning both now and in the future. Not one or the other. We're not about to pawn off a young asset like Larry Nance Jr. just so we could get a leg up in free agency.

Nonetheless, I still would like to see our team have some balls and make a concerted effort at a meeting with LeBron James regardless of how miniscule our chances of landing him may be. It isn't as if there's going to be any other free agent in this year's class that's going to make a substantial difference to our team.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers probably have the edge in terms of attracting free agents simply because of their cap situation and the fact that one of our game's all-time greats (Magic Johnson) is their team president.

That said, the Pacers are focused on winning both now and in the future. Not one or the other. We're not about to pawn off a young asset like Larry Nance Jr. just so we could get a leg up in free agency.

Nonetheless, I still would like to see our team have some balls and make a concerted effort at a meeting with LeBron James regardless of how miniscule our chances of landing him may be. It isn't as if there's going to be any other free agent in this year's class that's going to make a substantial difference to our team.
This is Lance's fourth year in the NBA and he is averaging 8 ppg and 6 rebounds. In his first year he averaged 5 points and 5 rebounds. He is a solid role player at the best and about as good as he ever will be. For the price I thought he was worth bringing off the bench, but the Lakers have some nice rookies to fill that - they needed to thin down the roster so that the rookies gets some playing time.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly - this Lakers team could reboot with Lopez at the center and KCP as the guard and will be good enough next year to make the playoffs any way. It's not critical for them to get an elite player this summer

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly - this Lakers team could reboot with Lopez at the center and KCP as the guard and will be good enough next year to make the playoffs any way. It's not critical for them to get an elite player this summer

Uh.......No it wouldn't.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that is Indy's philosophy...they will never win a championship. The best way for a small market team to be a true contender is a combination of draft and FA's.

Through the draft, they can add young assets. Hopefully at least one of them becomes a star and the rest become NBA players with value. They can then trade a couple of the young assets for a difference maker, or preferably, use the fact that they have a young star with good young players around him to attract a difference maker in FA.

Building a championship team strictly through the draft is virtually impossible.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is Indy's philosophy...they will never win a championship. The best way for a small market team to be a true contender is a combination of draft and FA's.

Through the draft, they can add young assets. Hopefully at least one of them becomes a star and the rest become NBA players with value. They can then trade a couple of the young assets for a difference maker, or preferably, use the fact that they have a young star with good young players around him to attract a difference maker in FA.

Building a championship team strictly through the draft is virtually impossible.

Warriors did it (2015). Gotta draft really well (Draymond 2nd round), get lucky (Steph available at 7th), and be smart about signing for and trading for role players (Bogut, Iggy)

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors did it (2015). Gotta draft really well (Draymond 2nd round), get lucky (Steph available at 7th), and be smart about signing for and trading for role players (Bogut, Iggy)

That's just it though, the Warriors didn't do it. They are the closest I've seen to doing it that way, but they still didn't do it entirely through the draft. If you're fortunate enough to get what the Warriors got, you still need to get some solid vets via FA or trade to solidify the roster and help the young guys along.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just it though, the Warriors didn't do it. They are the closest I've seen to doing it that way, but they still didn't do it entirely through the draft. If you're fortunate enough to get what the Warriors got, you still need to get some solid vets via FA or trade to solidify the roster and help the young guys along.
Not to mention that northern California is still California, not Indiana.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough I thought you meant you can't do it getting all your star players through the draft. I agree no one can win if they never make a trade or sign a free agent at all. The Ws did prove you can win by drafting all your stars though. If Indiana bottoms out, drafts smart, and gets lucky, they can win without signing a big time FA

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough I thought you meant you can't do it getting all your star players through the draft. I agree no one can win if they never make a trade or sign a free agent at all. The Ws did prove you can win by drafting all your stars though. If Indiana bottoms out, drafts smart, and gets lucky, they can win without signing a big time FA

Yeah, that's why I say they are the closest I've seen. They did all of the "heavy lifting" through the draft, then filled in essential role players via trade and FA.