• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I have honestly never been so dialed in on the Pacers in over a decade...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO you need multiple superstars.

I think you are setting the bar way too low if current OKC is in that conversation.

Meh, agree to disagree. I think multiple all stars and a solid supporting cast.

End of the day, this is like the GOAT debate. Everyone has their own definition and there is no way to prove that anyone is ultimately wrong.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said upthread, we're arguing over very subjective definitions of 'superteam'. Also, mine is right and yours is wrong. :heh:

Oh yeah, well Montalban says I'm smarter than you.

So I have that going for me.

Which is nice.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
End of the day, this is like the GOAT debate. Everyone has their own definition and there is no way to prove that anyone is ultimately wrong.

Well... You could simply look at the teams who have won titles.

That could ultimately help you see what kind of teams are winning titles. lol

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the '86 Celtics were a superteam? I'm pretty sure I just did.

The Thunder have 2 all star players (1 the reigning MVP) and another 1st ballot HoF'er who is pasty his prime but still a viable player, he's not exactly "broken down". The also have very solid pieces around them...that's a superteam, they just aren't playing like one.

Walton was broken down by then -- nothing like the player from the '70s.
Other teams -- Lakers with Payton/Malone ?
Rockets with Pippen/Barkley ?
Lakers with their big 3 -- plus McAdoo ?
I'm not saying they are Superteams -- just comparables.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walton was broken down by then -- nothing like the player from the '70s.

Not really, at least not that season. He wasn't 70's Bill Walton, but he was actually healthy that year. He played in 80 games and averaged about 20 minutes a game as the Celtics 6th man. He also played in all of their playoff games that season and helped them win the title.

Other teams -- Lakers with Payton/Malone ?

Imo, and I hate to say it, but they are probably the greatest example of a superteam that didn't play like one. At the least, they didn't finish like one.

Rockets with Pippen/Barkley ?
Lakers with their big 3 -- plus McAdoo ?

I'd say so. The Showtime Lakers became arguably the first modern era superteam when they got Magic. The Sixers and Celtics joined them shortly after.

I'd say Olajuwon, Pippen and Barkley makes a superteam as well. They join the Lakers 4 Hall of Famer lineup as another example of a superteam that didn't finish like one.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, at least not that season. He wasn't 70's Bill Walton, but he was actually healthy that year. He played in 80 games and averaged about 20 minutes a game as the Celtics 6th man. He also played in all of their playoff games that season and helped them win the title.

Imo, and I hate to say it, but they are probably the greatest example of a superteam that didn't play like one. At the least, they didn't finish like one.

I'd say so. The Showtime Lakers became arguably the first modern era superteam when they got Magic. The Sixers and Celtics joined them shortly after.

I'd say Olajuwon, Pippen and Barkley makes a superteam as well. They join the Lakers 4 Hall of Famer lineup as another example of a superteam that didn't finish like one.

Lakers with Payton and Malone were a super team, IMO, but not because of Payton and Malone. They were the extra pieces.

Pippen and Barkley were also shells of their former selves by the time they joined Hakeem. Hell, Hakeem was well past his prime too. He dropped off pretty quick after the second championship. They were never a serious threat. Super team in name only. Barkley and Hakeem were both 36 and Pippen was seriously diminished because of back injuries.

That trio would be like if Melo Wade and CP3 teamed up today.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers with Payton and Malone were a super team, IMO, but not because of Payton and Malone. They were the extra pieces.

Pippen and Barkley were also shells of their former selves by the time they joined Hakeem. Hell, Hakeem was well past his prime too. He dropped off pretty quick after the second championship. They were never a serious threat. Super team in name only. Barkley and Hakeem were both 36 and Pippen was seriously diminished because of back injuries.

That trio would be like if Melo Wade and CP3 teamed up today.

Good point about the Rockets. I forgot how old those guys were.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm guessing you are a few years younger than me.

Bill in '86 was nothing like Bill in 1972-1978. I don't think there is a comparable NBA player ever. I'm not saying he was the best ... he was unlike any other player -- ever.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bill in '86 was nothing like Bill in 1972-1978. I don't think there is a comparable NBA player ever. I'm not saying he was the best ... he was unlike any other player -- ever.

Started following the NBA in 1970. Of course, '86 Bill wasn't like Bill from '72-78. Even if he had been completely healthy his whole career, he wouldn't have been the same player. I said in my post that he wasn't '70's Walton.

What he was in '86 was exactly what I said he was. The Celtics 6th man who played 20 minutes per game and helped them win the title that year. In other words, a viable NBA player who was still able to help his team win rather than ride the bench to collect a ring. I remember people being amazed at well he played that season and thinking he had resurrected his career.

Of course his feet fall off again the following season, he played only 10 games and was out of the league.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was indeed, as the Romans say, sui generis There's a whole bunch of guys in NBA history who were truly unique, with no real comparables. I'd include Walton, Shaq, Rodman, Magic, Curry, LeBron

I'm specifically leaving out Jordan, he was the apotheosis of his type, but he did have a type we would see again (Kobe obviously)

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was indeed, as the Romans say, sui generis There's a whole bunch of guys in NBA history who were truly unique, with no real comparables. I'd include Walton, Shaq, Rodman, Magic, Curry, LeBron

I'm specifically leaving out Jordan, he was the apotheosis of his type, but he did have a type we would see again (Kobe obviously)

You are correct about Curry being unique, but not for long. The copy cats are coming!