• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I guess there is all kinds of controversy over the Cam Newton concussion testing

whiskey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,001.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lsd5gwlv8rbxzkqnyny4.gif

perhaps one of those hits is NOT leading with the helmet, and #54 is the textbook definition of launching.

I hate Cam Newton with the fiery heat of 1000 burning suns, but this is headhunting 101, and to say "we should let them play 2 hand touch" is just silly. This was headhunting, and it should have been flagged in all but MAYBE one of those plays.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After last night, officials can no longer call helmet to helmet fouls. If they do, the guys who get the calls against them could bring legal action against the officials and the NFL.

Roger the dodger won't even come close to addressing the issue.

I hope Siemien takes a couple to the noggin next week. Then we'll see how passe' the Bronco fans are about H to H.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The level of hyperbole about these hits to the head is reaching absurd levels. I realize this was the first game of the season and we've all been jonesing for some football but some of you are acting like this is the first time a QB has been hit in the head a few times.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares.

No One cares when it happens to a WR on a crappy team. But the Medias Golden Boy!?!?!? OUTRAGE!!!!

A perfect example off the top of my head. In 2012 the Bucs were playing at the Giants. Bucs up and about to run for a First down inside the 40 of the Giants. Some Defender grabs Martins face mask and literally pulls it to stop the first down run. No Flag, not one mention from the Media. ON THE VERY NEXT DRIVE. A 3rd down pass to Vincent Jackson, the defender launches himself at VJ, when he makes contact NOT ONE PART OF HIS BODY is touching the ground, contract is made on VJ lower head. NO FLAG, not one peep from the Media.

These 2 plays help the Giants comeback to win.

Yet the Media throws a tantrum when it happens to their boy....

Who Cares, If you cannot enforce rules fairly, screw the rules.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The level of hyperbole about these hits to the head is reaching absurd levels. I realize this was the first game of the season and we've all been jonesing for some football but some of you are acting like this is the first time a QB has been hit in the head a few times.

How many times have you seen hit like those on a QB go uncalled in the last year or two? Conversely, how many times have you seen ticky tack calls where a defender's hand brushes the QB's head get flagged?

Like many others have said, I got no skin in this game, but to try to defend those no calls is absurd.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times have you seen hit like those on a QB go uncalled in the last year or two? Conversely, how many times have you seen ticky tack calls where a defender's hand brushes the QB's head get flagged?

Like many others have said, I got no skin in this game, but to try to defend those no calls is absurd.

The Von Miller hit wasn't called but you routinely see that call missed because he was the 2nd tackler. The hit when Newton was running is almost never called. Stewart's hit was called but negated by the grounding call.

I'm not defending the no calls. Except the one where Newton was running. I just think this is some shocking event.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big QBs just don't get those calls. Roethlisberger never has. Flacco never has.

Can anyone deny that Brady would have drawn flags on every single one of those hits on Cam???
I saw a flag where he intentionally grounded it so WTF are you talking about?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares.

No One cares when it happens to a WR on a crappy team. But the Medias Golden Boy!?!?!? OUTRAGE!!!!

A perfect example off the top of my head. In 2012 the Bucs were playing at the Giants. Bucs up and about to run for a First down inside the 40 of the Giants. Some Defender grabs Martins face mask and literally pulls it to stop the first down run. No Flag, not one mention from the Media. ON THE VERY NEXT DRIVE. A 3rd down pass to Vincent Jackson, the defender launches himself at VJ, when he makes contact NOT ONE PART OF HIS BODY is touching the ground, contract is made on VJ lower head. NO FLAG, not one peep from the Media.

These 2 plays help the Giants comeback to win.

Yet the Media throws a tantrum when it happens to their boy....

Who Cares, If you cannot enforce rules fairly, screw the rules.
This had far more to do with having more than one glaring example and being the only game played than any of that nonsense. It's a story all over the sports news cycle because it's the only damned game that's been played in the NFL and there really isn't much else to talk about yet. If this had been on a random Sunday with 13 other games going on it would have been a fraction of the story it was today. Even with the number of events in one game to the same player.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned this already in the game thread, but no way any body was going to take him out of the game at that point. Not the league, not his team, not the officials...because no one wants to be the wet blanket, even though they're all mouthing off about player safety.

This is a violent game. The risks are clear. BUT, if the league goes all out on concussions, then that amounts to admitting culpability for hundreds of players' medical conditions. That, in turn, opens them up to hundreds of lawsuits and lots of lost revenue.

they're trying to walk the thinnest of lines here
I'm not a fan of the concussion protocol. But with a doctor/official in the booth who's supposed to be there to make the cautionary calls why didn't he? Apparently most of the posters here saw pretty clearly he was dazed. Goodell needs to fine that doctor if he and the NFL are serious about player safety. That would set the stage for future issues like this. NFL either take it seriously along with PED/Illegal substances testing or STFU about safety and integrity of the shield.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have ejected the whole team and their kinfolk from this country if Brady got hit like that....
Kraft would sue the league, Rock would start a Brady's Life Matters movement and NW, well he'd just talk about tgann, cause it's all he knows....
:dhd:
Still missing your side kick hun? What a shame. I really hope the Ratbirds can win more than 5 games this year? Because it's pitiful watching you and the other so called Bmore fans so far off your games. I give Bazooka Blow 6 wins this year. So be happy things are looking up in the riot capital.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who thinks Cam's, "I don't remember the end..." bit is just an excuse? We all know how much he loves to discuss losing big games. The guy got pummeled all night long but given the head injury controversies the NFL is already dealing with, I don't buy this notion trained medical officials put Cam back onto the field with a legit concussion.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still missing your side kick hun? What a shame. I really hope the Ratbirds can win more than 5 games this year? Because it's pitiful watching you and the other so called Bmore fans so far off your games. I give Bazooka Blow 6 wins this year. So be happy things are looking up in the riot capital.

:violin:You need to be concerned about how BB is gonna find a new way to cheat, or they may only win 3 games this yr....
:spy::photo: