• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2017 Season

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected more, but not really concerned in general. Kind of like the Arizona game last year. Sometimes you just have to take a win when you travel to weird places.

Positives are, secondary looks like they can be everything we hoped for, and the defense in general will be the same defense we've loved the last couple years, will do their part to keep every game winnable. Not concerned about the drives they allowed. And as much shit as I talk about the rugby punts, this new guy is off to a great start.

Concerns is really the offense in general, but not really... meaning it's concerning, but I'm not worried at this point. Pettis is a beast, Browning is still Browning, Gaskin and Coleman and still Gaskin and Coleman. The o-line was already my concern, they were one link I saw as keeping them really competing with Bama. I'm sure they'll get their shit together relative to Friday, but are they gonna be able to run with top teams' defensive fronts? I know they're now a more experienced group, and they put on some lbs, so hopefully we get to find out. And then the obvious, we know the one guy missing from the offense, and he was huge, probably gonna need to find someone who can get up field in his spot, if nothing else to open thing up for Pettis and co.

One more thing, I can't help but have in the back of my mind, Smith is on his own again... Hopefully Tedford's presence last year wasn't the difference.

Again, all that said, those concerns aren't too concerning for me yet. First game in a far away land, we heard a lot about all their graduate transfers and new coordinators making it pretty much impossible to plan for them, I'm sure that didn't help and contributed to the slow start.

Good to have football back.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing, I can't help but have in the back of my mind, Smith is on his own again... Hopefully Tedford's presence last year wasn't the difference.
That really was my biggest concern coming out of this game. I just know it's quite cliche to always jump on the OC so I'm not banging any drums on it, but it really was striking the lack of creativity considering all the weapons they have and the lack of adjustments to what the defense was doing. They looked like they had a game plan and were sticking to it at all costs.

Petersen and Browning both had some fairly strong comments about the lack of offensive production in this game. Without Tedford I don't know if Smith can use his weapons to their fullest. We won't really see anything more on that front until the Colorado game. That's a defense on the road you will NEED to make adjustments to.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really was my biggest concern coming out of this game. I just know it's quite cliche to always jump on the OC so I'm not banging any drums on it, but it really was striking the lack of creativity considering all the weapons they have and the lack of adjustments to what the defense was doing. They looked like they had a game plan and were sticking to it at all costs.

Petersen and Browning both had some fairly strong comments about the lack of offensive production in this game. Without Tedford I don't know if Smith can use his weapons to their fullest. We won't really see anything more on that front until the Colorado game. That's a defense on the road you will NEED to make adjustments to.
The thought of the offense regressing back to a 2015 vibe with the weapons they have is terrifying. All we can do is wait and see. I'm just trying to keep it out of my mind.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game on Friday night and it was a great sight to see how many Huskies fans came out to support the team. It was awesome!!!

My concern is that o-line needs to get much much better cause the run game was horrid in the first half but descent in the second half, Jake getting blown up by the Rutgers defender who was completely untouched plus it seemed like they were back there harrassing him more times then not and Rutgers short crossing pass patterns seemed to be clicking for them as well until the D picked one off in the second half. Also need to find a kicker who can booted to the end zone on kickoffs. It was a tough victory for the Dawgs and the score doesn't show how well Rutgers played. I'll give props to those Rutgers kids, they came out and took it to the 8th ranked team in the country so those kids have nothing to be ashamed about. Glad UW got the victory and hopefully they can get this o-line ready and focused for Montana.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take away's from week one:

Defense grew as the night progressed. I'm not worried this unit will be the reason the Dawgs will be in every game they play this year. That young secondary took a step forward, I think they will be just fine this season. As for the front seven, vanilla play calling. I believe they didn't want their exotic blitzes on tape and they went out and went man on man as much as possible.

Offense, Gaskin had 7 carries! I think that was also designed, I believe it was game plan they wanted to show other things on the offense, and they did that. Coleman needs to understand that teams are going to stack 7 in the box to take away the run, so his north and south running style needs to find the crease quicker in that zone blocking and hit the hole harder and faster. O-line can use a nice butt chewing, that's a veteran line that made some crappy calls at the line of scrimmage. I think there is still a disconnect with Jake and his wide outs, I think that surgery cost him time with throwing more to these younger wide outs. I do believe that a old era of a TE being a major part of UW football is officially back. With 7 stacked in the box and the secondary worried about the speed on the outside with the wide outs, that will free up the seam routes to the TE's....

Over all it's like I tell my team everyday, "it's a process, watch the tape and learn from the mistakes, I would rather have a perfect game in a championship game rather then week one!"

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 2: Montana

Looking for a good ole fashion beat down at home for the Dawgs. Defense should be racking up the turnovers and sacks. Offense I'm sure will be throwing the ball a little more, ( never fails a lesser opponent comes in they target the passing game)...

Anyone going to this one?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 2: Montana

Looking for a good ole fashion beat down at home for the Dawgs. Defense should be racking up the turnovers and sacks. Offense I'm sure will be throwing the ball a little more, ( never fails a lesser opponent comes in they target the passing game)...

Anyone going to this one?
Of course I'll be there. And I plan on being pretty plastered before going in.

They will attempt to have a balanced offense, even if still pretty vanilla in the play calling to keep their best plays for Colorado. They had too many issues with the run game against Rutgers to not spend a fair amount of this game working on that lines run blocking. I'm sure we will see Browning airing out quite a few throws deep, but that run game will have plenty of chances to make their own mark in this one.

Victor playing will have an impact. They won't be giving up many points.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate FCS week.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My takeaways:

• What's the point of not opening the zone at halftime if you're just gonna put a beer garden 20 feet from it and keep it open all game? Can we just sell beer in the stadium and be done with this nonsense? Jesus...
  • Another punt returned and Pettis has the school record for punt returns, that is neat. He's a fucking man beast.
  • So much for worrying about lack of creativity on offense. Hopefully they keep doing that against not FCS opponents.
  • It's exciting to have a competent punter. Seriously.
  • Montana fans were out in force and impressively loud for the first quarter or so.
  • I hate FCS week.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana has a very good and proud fanbase, unfortunately it's a program that's fallen on hard times. Not like the Huskies had to endure, but for the better part of two decades Montana was a FCS championship contender damn near every year, now they are still decent, but a bottom end playoff team and not a legitimate threat to win a title.

I hate FCS week as well. The entire OOC schedule this year is just dull.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one am glad that "rankings" are still keeping us low and the hype train isn't harping on this young team....

Second, deep down I really hope the "magical season of the Ducks" continues until Nov 4th only to come here and get their dreams shattered again!

Third, SC to me is still over hyped and if they do make the title game I can't wait for the Dawgs to get their revenge on!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall about what you would expect from a game against a lessor talented team tonight.

Can't say enough about Pettis. What, UW scored 6 TD's and Dante was responsible for 4 of them? :noidea: Something like that.

Browning had a decent game, but against a meh team. He has always done great against meh.

Run game was still not there, but it didn't look like they were really trying either. That first time down inside the 10 it looked like they tried to run between the tackles for real twice and didn't get shit out of it, but can't say I saw really any major effort to push the inside run game the rest of the way. A lot more outside stuff. No idea if this is something we should worry about, or them trying different things and not wanting their power game on tape before conference play? Still really head scratching for sure. They have solid rushers and proven linemen.

Thought there were too many missed tackles on the defense and how many possible interceptions did they end up dropping? Sure seemed like a lot.

Sure, some of that is nitpicking, but what else can you do with one of these games?

Just thankful we didn't lose anyone to injury and all those backups got a lot of quality game time and have plays on film for them to work on improving their game.

I'm going to guess UW opens 7-10 point favorites against Colorado. It's a tough draw to get a road game against one of the better teams in the south to open conference play, but it's time to go put it all together and show how ready they are to challenge for the conference title again.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad the OOC schedule is over, what a borefest. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Colorado game somewhat mirrors the Arizona game last year. A road game that they will ultimately win, but it won't be easy with the team possibly making one or two head scratching mistakes, but also being a learning experience that will move them on to better things in conference play. We'll see though.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado may be a tough test, but more because Colorado is a much better team than Arizona was and it's still early in the season. That and the whole playing at altitude thing.

They already had a road game to get that routine down and it was 3 time zones away.

I'm not sure how strong they will look if they can't do something substantial about getting solid play out of their running game and their kicker to me is a huge liability right now. Dude can't kick it past the 10y half the time on kickoffs ffs and missed a damned PAT tonight. :tsk: He's turrble.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I expect coach Pete to earn the paycheck....Tough road game, the running game hopefully hidden on purpose during the OCC schedule......

Run the ball with power
Play solid defense
and special teams cover and let Pettis run wild!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I expect coach Pete to earn the paycheck....Tough road game, the running game hopefully hidden on purpose during the OCC schedule......

Run the ball with power
Play solid defense
and special teams cover and let Pettis run wild!
We rock the punt game on both sides, but our kicker scares the hell out of me. :tsk:

I see Colorado as a bit of a wild card, but not nearly as good as last year. Still a road game at altitude against a team still licking their wounds after you destroyed them in the CCG the prior year is a dangerous game.

They have the tools to go get this game. They sure need to look more sharp than they did last game, particularly on defense with all those dropped interception opportunities and all those bad attempts at tackling.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw that Nebraska thread and poked my head in that board, damn it's depressing. Nebraska is like the 2000s Washington of the 2010s. Riley is their Willingham. Except it's even more pathetic because it's Nebraska.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We rock the punt game on both sides, but our kicker scares the hell out of me. :tsk:

I see Colorado as a bit of a wild card, but not nearly as good as last year. Still a road game at altitude against a team still licking their wounds after you destroyed them in the CCG the prior year is a dangerous game.

They have the tools to go get this game. They sure need to look more sharp than they did last game, particularly on defense with all those dropped interception opportunities and all those bad attempts at tackling.

Meh, a kicker!

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too up on my Colorado knowledge concerning who they lost from last year and all that, I do remember that backup qb (starter now) impressing me though.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw that Nebraska thread and poked my head in that board, damn it's depressing. Nebraska is like the 2000s Washington of the 2010s. Riley is their Willingham. Except it's even more pathetic because it's Nebraska.

Not being a smart ass but if the Corn Holers get their heads out of their asses and swallow a large lump of pride I would go out and get Chipper!

There offense sucks and he would change that fast, and with his NFL connections he could hire a good DC...