• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huggy calls his boys out...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 80% of the defense problem really is the lack of a physical presence in the middle. I have never seen a player the size of Devon Williams get his shot blocked as many times in one season as him. On the defense end, he is not quick and he isn't a real quick leaper or leaper at all for that matter. If Holden would have been eligible, he would have led this team in rebounding and would have scored 15 points a game. We would be talking about the NCAA's right now if Holden would have been here. And that is straight from the horses mouth from people that know.

While I know the people who are feeding you this info, and I am not doubting their assessment of his game... we have all been told that every single kid who has been forced to sit out a year... has been the next great Mountaineer.

Murray was dominating the squad in practice...

Staten was dominating the squad in practice...

Gansey was dominating the squad in practice...

That being said, I believe the addition of both Holton and Macon will be huge for WVU next year!

I believe Williams is playing hurt...

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read everyones comments IMHO I don't care how young the team is. Duke, Syracuse, UConn, Kansas and the Kentucky's of the world seem to figure out how to play with young players...I have said it before..Huggins makes over 2 million per season...this program should easily be winning 20 games a year and never missing the NCAA's with his coaching resume...its time for him to be let go.....
Who are all 5 star guys that are NBA starters the following year. Please tell me this, how many NBA starters has WVU put in the league over the last 50 years? WVU is not Kentucky or Syracuse. UConn starts 4 SRs starting btw. We don't even have one on the team.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read everyones comments IMHO I don't care how young the team is. Duke, Syracuse, UConn, Kansas and the Kentucky's of the world seem to figure out how to play with young players...I have said it before..Huggins makes over 2 million per season...this program should easily be winning 20 games a year and never missing the NCAA's with his coaching resume...its time for him to be let go.....
Give him one more year and imho if we are looking similar to last year and now this year then I don't think he will need to be fired, I think he hangs em up.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. let him go. Then what? You think the great Messiah is gonna roll in with a hay truck full of 5 star recruits? I don't think so. Lets face it, WV will never get the elite in college basketball and because of that you won't get a Marquee Coach either. Belien was a diamond in the rough but as you saw--he bolted for Michigan as soon as he had success. Belien was special and still is. The odds of repeating that are low in IMO. You better be happy with what you got for now and be patient. Hard to recruit here and when you send out the likes of Martin/Harrison to a kids home--it is harder. I will say it again, the recruiting overall has sucked in Huggs tenure. I blame a lot of that on the asst. coaches because they are ones out on the road looking at the talent. They obviously have misjudged a few. Then again, maybe that's all you can get. Who knows?

I am not sure about the Messiah...but certainly someone that has more fire in his belly to recruit and coach than Huggy has at the moment...You don't need a ton of five star recruits...but you do need talent and you need to know how to relate to them....and I am not buying no one wants to come to Morgantown crap...if they can get kids to go to Creighton, Marquette, St Louis, Witchita State, Butler, Arizona and the Gonzaga's of the world...they will come to Wv...it's just silly to think otherwise..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are all 5 star guys that are NBA starters the following year. Please tell me this, how many NBA starters has WVU put in the league over the last 50 years? WVU is not Kentucky or Syracuse. UConn starts 4 SRs starting btw. We don't even have one on the team.

You seem to have missed my point.............by a mile!.........

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure about the Messiah...but certainly someone that has more fire in his belly to recruit and coach than Huggy has at the moment...You don't need a ton of five star recruits...but you do need talent and you need to know how to relate to them....and I am not buying no one wants to come to Morgantown crap...if they can get kids to go to Creighton, Marquette, St Louis, Witchita State, Butler, Arizona and the Gonzaga's of the world...they will come to Wv...it's just silly to think otherwise..

When we had a coaching change after Catlett, where were those big names? I didn't see Patino, Donovan, Rizzo, Williams, and host of other quality Coaches even being talked about much less beating the door down. As for Creighton, Marquette, St Louis, Witchita State, Butler, Arizona and the Gonzaga, everyone of these programs is better than ours right now and has been for the last 3 years. Again, its tough to recruit here. We all thought Huggs would bring the beef but it hasn't happened. Why is that? My opinion is that alot of it has to do with the asst. Coaches as these are the folks making the initial contact with recruits. I should know as I turned Josh Selby on to one asst. in 2011 and he failed to close the deal. Gave him Selby's mothers cell number. Still couldn't close the deal so the kid goes to Kansas. He was interested because he wanted to stay close to Baltimore. I don't think there is anything wrong with Huggins but the recruiting has issues.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we had a coaching change after Catlett, where were those big names? I didn't see Patino, Donovan, Rizzo, Williams, and host of other quality Coaches even being talked about much less beating the door down. As for Creighton, Marquette, St Louis, Witchita State, Butler, Arizona and the Gonzaga, everyone of these programs is better than ours right now and has been for the last 3 years. Again, its tough to recruit here. We all thought Huggs would bring the beef but it hasn't happened. Why is that? My opinion is that alot of it has to do with the asst. Coaches as these are the folks making the initial contact with recruits. I should know as I turned Josh Selby on to one asst. in 2011 and he failed to close the deal. Gave him Selby's mothers cell number. Still couldn't close the deal so the kid goes to Kansas. He was interested because he wanted to stay close to Baltimore. I don't think there is anything wrong with Huggins but the recruiting has issues.

Need to go back and check what was going on with the program when Catlett left...just google Jonathon Hargett...couple that with the fact that EDDIE PASTILONG refused to pony up a competitive salary for a next level coach...

You don't think its tough to recuit kids to Creighton, Marquette, St Louis, Witchita State, Butler, Arizona and Gonzaga, :wtf2:

I don't disagree he needs to shake up his staff, but he is likes his crony's...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huggy has gone after the 5-star recruit. Last year, he and his staff went after Wiggins very hard. The previous year, they went after a kid who ended up at Michigan State very hard.

So, it is not like the staff isn't trying to get big-time recruits...

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to have missed my point.............by a mile!.........
No... You rattle off a handful of programs that win with freshman. Freshman who are one and done players. I think Hugs could win with Calicheat's roster. Unless you're so delusional that you think WVU should be filling its roster with such players. WVU is not a power. Never has been, never will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No... You rattle off a handful of programs that win with freshman. Freshman who are one and done players. I think Hugs could win with Calicheat's roster. Unless you're so delusional that you think WVU should be filling its roster with such players. WVU is not a power. Never has been, never will be.

I must be delusional then....to think Manhattan nowhere Kansas is a better spot to play basketball.....

MANHATTAN, Kan. Kansas State men’s basketball coach Bob Huggins announced the signing of four high school seniors to National Letters of Intent on the first day of the fall signing period on Wednesday.
The four-man recruiting class, which is considered by several analysts as one of the nation’s best classes, includes consensus No. 1 recruit Michael Beasley (Notre Dame ( Mass.) Prep/Washington, D.C.), Fred Brown (Dwyer High/West Palm Beach, Fla.), Jacob Pullen (Proviso East/Maywood, Ill.) and Dominique Sutton (The Patterson School/Durham, N.C.).
“We are excited to announce the addition of Mike, Fred, Jacob and Dominique to our basketball program,” said Huggins. “With the loss of so many seniors, especially on the perimeter, we were looking to fill a lot of needs with this class. We had to get more athletic and this is an extremely athletic class. These four individuals will be great additions to the foundation we have already put in place.”

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must be delusional then....to think Manhattan nowhere Kansas is a better spot to play basketball.....

MANHATTAN, Kan. Kansas State men’s basketball coach Bob Huggins announced the signing of four high school seniors to National Letters of Intent on the first day of the fall signing period on Wednesday.
The four-man recruiting class, which is considered by several analysts as one of the nation’s best classes, includes consensus No. 1 recruit Michael Beasley (Notre Dame ( Mass.) Prep/Washington, D.C.), Fred Brown (Dwyer High/West Palm Beach, Fla.), Jacob Pullen (Proviso East/Maywood, Ill.) and Dominique Sutton (The Patterson School/Durham, N.C.).
“We are excited to announce the addition of Mike, Fred, Jacob and Dominique to our basketball program,” said Huggins. “With the loss of so many seniors, especially on the perimeter, we were looking to fill a lot of needs with this class. We had to get more athletic and this is an extremely athletic class. These four individuals will be great additions to the foundation we have already put in place.”

Which Huggins himself said only happened because he had the year off and was 100% recruiting. And yes, you are delusional to think WVU should be getting recruits like that.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which Huggins himself said only happened because he had the year off and was 100% recruiting. And yes, you are delusional to think WVU should be getting recruits like that.

Do you want me to go back and pull every recruiting class at Cinncy?...I know Cinncy , just like Manhattan is a better enviroment to play basketball...:laugh3:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huggins has a tough sell at WVU. We don't play in NY anymore which was a recruiting hotbed. West VA does not produce many Div 1 caliber players. Travel for BBall is a nighmare. Also, kids have changed over the years with internet, media, etc. From what I see, Huggs has lost the ability to relate to these kids and to be able to motivate them consistently. Very hard sell to get a Wiggins or any big recruit to come here.

That being said, Huggs is a hall of fame coach, took us to the final four and has done very well for WVU until these past two years. What I see are signs that Huggs is frustrated with his players, new rules and somewhat burned out as a coach. If this keeps up, I see Huggs leaving on his own terms within the next couple of years.

If he does not do well next year, my bet is that he retires from coaching.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disregard. I checked myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DIEHARD has hit the nail many times… and, he is right. WVU's assistant coaches are the recruiters… not Huggs. Huggs is allowed to close the deal. But, he is not the one establishing contact… courting the recruit… and selling WVU's basketball program.

The idea that Morgantown is a hard place to recruit to… is total BS. Huggy said as much when he first took the job. Kids from NYC get recruited to midwestern cities like Manhattan and Lawrence, Kansas. Kids from Philadelphia and Baltimore get recruited to Syracuse, NY.

Huggs and his staff made some terrible decisions and had some extraordinary circumstances affect multiple recruiting classes. He is accountable.

But, I agree with DIEHARD… I think it is time for some shake up among the assistant coaches. They are responsible for most of the mess we have seen the past few years.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huggins has a tough sell at WVU. We don't play in NY anymore which was a recruiting hotbed. West VA does not produce many Div 1 caliber players. Travel for BBall is a nighmare. Also, kids have changed over the years with internet, media, etc. From what I see, Huggs has lost the ability to relate to these kids and to be able to motivate them consistently. Very hard sell to get a Wiggins or any big recruit to come here.

That being said, Huggs is a hall of fame coach, took us to the final four and has done very well for WVU until these past two years. What I see are signs that Huggs is frustrated with his players, new rules and somewhat burned out as a coach. If this keeps up, I see Huggs leaving on his own terms within the next couple of years.

If he does not do well next year, my bet is that he retires from coaching.

This is not entirely true....See Huntington Prep......

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm giving him next season. If we are having a similar year I think he hangs em up, no need to fire him. The rule changes havnt done him and the style he likes to play any favors either btw.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I made it over to Motown today. Left at 7am and rolled into Boston Beanery for 1 tallboy IPA, 6 wings and bowl Lobster Bisque. I was now ready to head up the street and see the Mountaineers. Got my usual hookup and fairly decent seats behind the bench (not as close as I would have liked). Watched a fairly entertaining game and saw WV play some defense today. We actually match up extremely well against TCU especially in the size department. But the surprise of the day was Conner coming off the bench and burying 3 3's in the first half. This kid is a WV product from Shady Springs and he made the most of his opportunity with Henderson out. Looks like another fan favorite if he keeps that up. Otherwise saw some old friends and sprinted back home to VA by 7;30pm. Man am I tired.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know the fans are losing interest when die hard stops posting his breakdown after every game.