• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Howard Did Not Want To Play With D'antoni Or Kobe

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly i think the Lakers would have been better served meeting Howard's demands and rebuilding around him. They could be a title contender in less time.

But the absolute public nightmare of amnestying Kobe would have hurt the franchise. Firing D'Antonio wouldnt be a big deal if the hire was Phil Jackson. Laker's best move IMHO, would have been firing the coach and telling howard they will muzzle kobe (i dont believe anyone can do this). but resign him. let kobe play another year. then not resign him. bring in other free agents build around howard.

but that's me.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KOBE - 2004

I will not resign with the Lakers unless you ship Shaq and Phil out.
I am unhappy with both and want to be the man.
Neither Shaq nor Phil is bending to my needs.

DWIGHT 2013

I will not resign with the Lakers unless you ship Kobe and D'Antoni out.
I am unhappy with both and want to be the man.
Neither Kobe nor Mike is bending to my needs.

interesting spin in 2013 on the exact same thing as 2005.

These two situations are so different it's not even funny. Dwight hasn't been an integral part of 3 championships. Kobe outed Phil and Phil hated him yet he still came back for 2 more championships, D'Antoni will never coach Howard again. Kobe was the best player in the game, Dwight is only the top Center and an average top Center at that. Dwight will never win more championships than Kobe.

I doubt Howard has a problem with Kobe's work ethic like Kobe did with Shaq.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly i think the Lakers would have been better served meeting Howard's demands and rebuilding around him. They could be a title contender in less time.

But the absolute public nightmare of amnestying Kobe would have hurt the franchise. Firing D'Antonio wouldnt be a big deal if the hire was Phil Jackson. Laker's best move IMHO, would have been firing the coach and telling howard they will muzzle kobe (i dont believe anyone can do this). but resign him. let kobe play another year. then not resign him. bring in other free agents build around howard.

but that's me.

And that is why you're a moron flauge. I'm guessing you didn't see Dwight play last year. His days of being a big-time star in this league are over. His game several years ago, before back problems, was built on pure athleticism. Now that Dwight has had major back surgery and is approaching his late 20's, he is at best a good player, who is a liability in close games due to his awful ft shooting.

However, Flague says "Duh, I think the Lakers would've been better served meeting Howards demands and rebuilding around this No-skill, athletically washed up, non-competitor. Duh. Duh"

Just go back to sleep Flague. You're a fucking idiot....Duh. Duh. Duh.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carmelo never "forced his way."

He was in the last year of his contract and told Denver he was not going to sign an extension before he became a free agent next summer. If he did sign one, it was going to be a sign and trade with him being traded to the Knicks.

As I recall, he had become a huge distraction.
Then, heading into the all star break, he said he wasn't meeting with teams etc... and that he would be playing for Denver after the all star break. In other words. He lied.

Don't get me wrong, Denver became a better team the day he left, but he definitely manipulated the system to get every nickel he could from the Knicks by using his FA leverage with Denver.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is why you're a moron flauge. I'm guessing you didn't see Dwight play last year. His days of being a big-time star in this league are over. His game several years ago, before back problems, was built on pure athleticism. Now that Dwight has had major back surgery and is approaching his late 20's, he is at best a good player, who is a liability in close games due to his awful ft shooting.

However, Flague says "Duh, I think the Lakers would've been better served meeting Howards demands and rebuilding around this No-skill, athletically washed up, non-competitor. Duh. Duh"

Flague wasn't the one hanging giant banners all over L.A. begging him to stay, was he?

You guys made every excuse in the world, defended everything that happened with Howard last year UNTIL he gave the Lakers the giant middle finger.

Oh yeah, that is after listening to all you Laker fans say he would never leave!

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't ask it won't happen. Clearly he wanted to win basketball games and find out how invested the Lakers were in him. Every one says Dwight wasn't a Laker but were the Lakers really about Dwight?

Stopped right there...so past titles means future titles? And "knowing how to win" is a laughable concept thrown out by media morons to sell bullshit. You think players work their ass off to get to Dwight or Kobe's level but do not know how to win? LMAO

This does not make sense...but the time stamp says you thought it did :D

Past Titles means the player has the experience and knowledge of how to get more championships. Explain to me what James Harden has again? :laugh3:

Of course it doesn't make sense to you - above your comprehension level:laugh3:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind two facts.

1. A 27 year old superstar in his prime turns down AN EXTRA 30 MILLION to play for the Lakers. That has NEVER happened in the history of the great Lakers franchise. It is an unthinkable blow to the value of the Lakers brand and culture.

2. A brand new executive team is already losing the PR battle with the Lakers fans. They have made a series of silly blunders and idiotic moves in their short term of power. And the cross town rivals have taken advantage however slightly.

Keeping in mind those two facts, remember this whole storyline was released from the LAKERS point of view. They had no choice but to frame the storyline in the fashion it was released.

It is arguably the first smart move the current Laker braintrust has done since taking over.

As long as they can keep Howard as the villain, the fans won't dig too deep into the real issues.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

:laugh3::agree::suds:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind two facts.

1. A 27 year old superstar in his prime turns down AN EXTRA 30 MILLION to play for the Lakers. That has NEVER happened in the history of the great Lakers franchise. It is an unthinkable blow to the value of the Lakers brand and culture.

2. A brand new executive team is already losing the PR battle with the Lakers fans. They have made a series of silly blunders and idiotic moves in their short term of power. And the cross town rivals have taken advantage however slightly.

Keeping in mind those two facts, remember this whole storyline was released from the LAKERS point of view. They had no choice but to frame the storyline in the fashion it was released.

It is arguably the first smart move the current Laker braintrust has done since taking over.

As long as they can keep Howard as the villain, the fans won't dig too deep into the real issues.

What makes you think the executive team is losing the public relations battle with the Lakers fans. So far I have yet to see a Staples center NOT FILLED TO THE CAPACITY. When that starts to happen, then they will be losing, besides that - Howard is the one that made the demands assuming the Real GM is telling the truth. There is an old bible verse - that what you do in the privacy of your bedroom will be broadcast to the world on the top of the buildings. Forgive me for paraphrasing it, but modern english makes more sense in here. If Dwight didn't want to be embarrassed by his demands, then he should have kept his mouth shut

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind two facts.

Real issues? The real issue is that the Lakers are capped out and can't start making any significant moves until next year.

Dwight is not the first superstar to choose to leave the Lakers (Shaq) and he won't be the last.

As Jeannie said in a recent interview, much of what has been seen is the result of the passing of Dr. Buss and those left in charge trying to find their way without his guidance. When you consider that he was also the father of those left in charge and the resultant grieving process, there was bound to be mistakes/missteps.

As a Laker fan, I am good with the moves that have been made for the upcoming season and will reserve judgement until after they get through the upcoming season and see what they do in the free agent group.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real issues? The real issue is that the Lakers are capped out and can't start making any significant moves until next year.

Dwight is not the first superstar to choose to leave the Lakers (Shaq) and he won't be the last.

As Jeannie said in a recent interview, much of what has been seen is the result of the passing of Dr. Buss and those left in charge trying to find their way without his guidance. When you consider that he was also the father of those left in charge and the resultant grieving process, there was bound to be mistakes/missteps.

As a Laker fan, I am good with the moves that have been made for the upcoming season and will reserve judgement until after they get through the upcoming season and see what they do in the free agent group.

I too have expressed this belief, but now that I'm rethinking it, if he really wanted to insure the success of the Lakers and the pride of his father then why did he hire D'Antoni over Phil without giving Phil a chance to answer? He got selfish with his need to make his own mark on the franchise. Hopefully Jeanie sends him on his way if he doesn't learn.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too have expressed this belief, but now that I'm rethinking it, if he really wanted to insure the success of the Lakers and the pride of his father then why did he hire D'Antoni over Phil without giving Phil a chance to answer? He got selfish with his need to make his own mark on the franchise. Hopefully Jeanie sends him on his way if he doesn't learn.

While I don't agree with the hiring of D'Antoni over Phil, I understand it based on what has been said that he wants to accomplish.

It's been said that Short Buss wants the team to resemble the Showtime era Lakers!! From that perspective, D'Antoni would be the coach to hire. No one is ever going to mistake the Triangle for Showtime!!

Having said that, the team the Lakers had was better suited to the Triangle than to Showtime and Phil has the championship pedigree and should have been the hire. There's only one "plan" that I could think of as to why things were done this way. That would be to run a slower version of D'Antoni's offense last season and this coming season (and hopefully squeeze out another title) before re-building the team after next season!!

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quite frankly when I saw the article, I was neither surprised nor upset; but just glad the guy is gone. He chose to play with a younger James Harden who is not as good as Kobe Bryant, because of youth and that to some degree is understandable. A 34 year old who has been team captain as long as Kobe has, is not going to play second to Dwight and Dwight wants to be the man, so now let's just step back and see what the man can do. Personally I think he would have been better off in Orlando

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I recall, he had become a huge distraction.
Then, heading into the all star break, he said he wasn't meeting with teams etc... and that he would be playing for Denver after the all star break. In other words. He lied.

Don't get me wrong, Denver became a better team the day he left, but he definitely manipulated the system to get every nickel he could from the Knicks by using his FA leverage with Denver.
Not at all. On December 10th it was reported that he would not sign the 65mil extension with Denver unless it was a sign and trade with the Knicks.

How could he "meet with teams" while under contract?

Why would he say he would be playing for Denver after the all-star break when the trade deadline hadn't even past yet?

How did he get more money from the Knicks when he signed for the exact same amount that Denver was offering him?

check the facts, brah

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. On December 10th it was reported that he would not sign the 65mil extension with Denver unless it was a sign and trade with the Knicks.

How could he "meet with teams" while under contract?

Why would he say he would be playing for Denver after the all-star break when the trade deadline hadn't even past yet?

How did he get more money from the Knicks when he signed for the exact same amount that Denver was offering him?

check the facts, brah

OK.
While my memory my not be perfect on the subject, it wasn't that far off.
With a quick google, I found this:

Posted: Friday February 18, 2011 2:56PM ; Updated: Monday February 21, 2011 5:26PM

michael_rosenberg.jpg

Michael Rosenberg>INSIDE THE NBA
More ColumnsEmail Michael Rosenberg

Carmelo's Job Hunt headlines this weekend's farce-filled activities

Story Highlights
Carmelo is reportedly set to meet with officials from the Nets, Knicks

Conducting job interviews with others teams in the middle of the season is a joke

The CBA prohibits this, but the league, teams never enforce it on its superstars

carmelo-rosenberg.jpg
According to various reports, Carmelo Anthony will meet with officials from the Nets and Knicks over All-Star weekend.

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

Latest Coverage to NBA All-Star weekend! We hope you enjoy all our great events -- the Celebrity Game, the Rookie Challenge, the Three-point Shootout, the Dunk Contest and, of course, the Carmelo Anthony Job Hunt, Presented By Kinko's.
According to various reports, Anthony, the Nuggets' star, will meet with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov while he is in Los Angeles. Anthony might also meet with Knicks owner Jim Dolan at some point. (Hint to Carmelo: If you want Dolan to trade for you, tell him your middle name is "Isiah.")​

And this leads me to one subtle question: HAS THE NBA LOST ITS MIND?
Carmelo Anthony, one of the most recognizable stars in the league, is conducting job interviews with other teams in the middle of the season.
This is not just a farce. It is a league-approved farce. And it is another example of something that drives people inside the NBA crazy: the perception that the league selectively enforces its rules.
Players are not allowed to request trades publicly. Consider: When Nate Robinson played for the Knicks (or, more accurately, when Robinson was NOT playing for the Knicks), his agent, Aaron Goodwin, said he had requested a trade. Robinson was fined $25,000.
When Stephen Jackson played for the Warriors, he told people at a charity event that he was "looking to leave" Golden State. This was not a secret to the Warriors. He said it during the summer, before training camp began. The NBA fined him $25,000.
And when Rudy Fernandez's agent, Andy Miller, publicly said Fernandez would rather play in Europe than for the Trail Blazers, the Spanish guard got slapped with a $25,000 fine.
In all three instances, the NBA issued a statement explaining that the players were fined for "for public statements detrimental to the NBA."
And, of course, owners are not allowed to tamper with other teams' players. Heck, last year, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban had the audacity to say, "Come July 1, yeah, of course, anybody would be interested in LeBron James," which might have been the least controversial statement Cuban has ever made, and the NBA fined him $100,000. He spoke publicly about wanting another team's player. That's a no-no.
Meanwhile, Carmelo Anthony can talk to owners about switching teams, and David Stern just whistles and pretends he doesn't see anything. It's all OK, because Anthony has not publicly said, "I want to be traded."
Presumably, Prokhorov (and potentially Dolan) has the Nuggets' and league's approval to talk to Anthony. And if I chose to meet with Jim Dolan because I wanted to work for him, I'd fine myself. That isn't the point. This entire episode has made a mockery of the Nuggets' season. It has put other important Denver players, most of the Nets' roster and both teams' fan bases in a terrible spot. But, hey, as long as Anthony doesn't publicly say, "I want a trade," then the NBA has no problem with it.
The NBA should look at its collective bargaining agreement. Section 35(e): "Any Player who, directly or indirectly, entices, induces, persuades or attempts to entice, induce, or persuade any Player, Coach, Trainer, General Manager or any other person who is under contract to any other Member of the Association to enter into negotiations for or relating to his services or negotiates or contracts for such services shall, on being charged with such tampering."
That is exactly what is happening here. It's not a secret. And it's a joke. Can somebody really tell me that Cuban's saying that anybody would want to have the best player in the NBA is bad for the league, but Anthony's interviewing for other jobs in the middle of the season is not?
This is the NBA in 2011, where players are required to show absolute loyalty to their employers 100 percent of the time, except when they aren't.
And in a league full of conspiracy theorists, you can be sure folks are taking note: By letting Anthony talk to other owners, the NBA is increasing the chances of having one of its marquee names play in its biggest market. I'm not saying that's why Stern is letting this happen. I'm saying it looks like that is why he is letting this happen.
The NBA never should have let it get to this point. It is a players' league, and it's mostly a say-what-you-want, do-what-you-want league, especially compared to the NFL. I love that about the NBA. But it's also a league that enforces the letter of the law on a Tuesday and the spirit of the law on Thursday and ignores both on Wednesday

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand why so much attention is being given to Carmello Anthony - He is a ballhog, plays no defense and plays like a thug. It makes me sick to my stomach at the thought of the Lakers trying to get him next year

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ask him. Maybe because the words that came our his mouth actually meant nothing?
[UPDATE] According to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News, Timofey Mozgov may be included, but nothing is a done deal yet.

The Nuggets play their next game on Tuesday, Feb. 22 against the Memphis Grizzlies. While 'Melo said during the All-Star Game that he plans on being in a Nuggets uniform on Tuesday, it may no longer be the case.

He didn't care about Denver's offer other than to use it as leverage against NY.
If he just left after the season as a FA, his contract would have been for substantially less.

Anthony also said that he didn't plan to meet with NY/NJ during the all star break which is documented in several articles and was also more total bullshit out of his mouth.

check the facts, brah

Maybe you should do the same?