• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How important is the 49er game here in Seattle?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard it said by Screaming12th that this game is just for bragging rights. I understand his point, it's only the second game of the year, lots of football to played. Certainly it's doesn't decide the division by any means.

However I think it's a lot more then just bragging rights. Especially for the Seahawks. Losing at home to the 49ers would be a major blow as far as trying to win the division. Also since the 49ers have a tough first game against the Packers for their home opener...who knows perhaps they lose to the Packers. I know they blew the Packers out in the playoffs, but the Packers are a good team and I expect them to come up with some answers for the 49ers.

Any way I think this is a huge game. A must see game.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would say it's more important to the Seahawks because if you lose that game at home you face the real possibility of getting swept since the game @SF isn't exactly in a favorable stretch in the schedule.

Also from the 49ers perspective you're facing a division rival at home in an extremely hostile environment so you really want to win the game but you also don't feel devastated if you lose it.

I expect a series split between the two with each winning their respective home games.

As far as the Packers go it won't be a blow out but I expect the 9ers to handle their business against them. When it comes down to it I just think the 9ers are a poor match up for the Packers. Also with an entire offseason to prepare I like Harbaugh and staff to be better ready than McCarthy and staff.

But the Seahawks have to be careful not to sleep on their first game as well. It's a 10am start on the complete opposite coast against Carolina who they didn't exactly dominate last season. Granted it was early but both teams did better in the 2nd half of the season then the first. Hawks should win but they can't take the game lightly either.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over looking the Panthers, because the 49ers are the next game up does have me worried a bit. However I think the Seahawks as a group want to get off to a good start and will not over look the Panthers.
Also it is time for the Seahawks to show 10am starts will not derail them.

Last year the 49ers were a poor match up for the Packers, but you got to admit there have been some changes for both teams and the 49ers are leaning on rookies in their secondary this year. Going against Rogers....who knows, I expect a better game this year between the two teams.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Only one rookie in secondary at FS.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over looking the Panthers, because the 49ers are the next game up does have me worried a bit. However I think the Seahawks as a group want to get off to a good start and will not over look the Panthers.
Also it is time for the Seahawks to show 10am starts will not derail them.

Last year the 49ers were a poor match up for the Packers, but you got to admit there have been some changes for both teams and the 49ers are leaning on rookies in their secondary this year. Going against Rogers....who knows, I expect a better game this year between the two teams.

The Niners are starting a rookie at FS. The rest of the starting positions are filled by returning players or vets like Boldin. The Pack will have rookies at RB, virtual rookies (due to injury) at DE and OLB, will have to replace Woodson in the secondary (why that guy doesn't have a job is amazing to me!), and will have to play without their best WR over the past 4+ yrs in Jennings. We have continuity while they have quite a few moving parts.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it will be for bragging rights. I think it is more important for Seattle to win this game only because it is at home, but what will be going on in the minds of the 9er faithful if it is another blowout?
I would guess they would not be looking forward to the game at the stick.
Whoever loses the game could finish 13-3 or 14-2 so that is whay I say it is a bragging rights game.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing that game would hurt Seattle more than SF so it's a pretty important game for the home team. It's the second game of the season and now we know we will be without one of our up and rising defensive players for that game.

Given how many really challenging road games Seattle has this season they simply cannot afford to lose any at home. Period.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's important because it's a home game against a division rival. You don't wanna lose any game and certainly not at home, but losing a home game to a division rival, particularly the team you're trying to beat out for the division title, puts you in a position of having to beat them at their place with a lot potentially on the line. It's doable, but you'd rather be in the position where they need to beat you. It's going to be as important as a game in September can be. It's an interesting first month schedule-wise, with quite a few tests. I'm looking forward to it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is more important for the Seahawks then the 49ers, unless the 49ers lose their home opener against the Packers ( My money is on the 49ers).

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the packers beat SF it is still a bigger game for Seattle because in any rivalry in the NFL you know if you play them first on the road even if you lose you have a rematch at home. You never want to lose to a rival, but in a first meeting of the year losing is a much bigger problem for the home team.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point, but can anyone afford to go 0-2 to start the season in the NFC west?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given how strong the NFC west will be no one wants to get off to a slow start, but having that return game to even things up later in the season with Seattle makes it less of a problem for them than us losing it knowing we would have to beat them on the road back just to tie up the year with them. Teams have overcome 0-2 starts.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I see your point, but can anyone afford to go 0-2 to start the season in the NFC west?

They can but it would be an uphill battle. 11-4-1 won the division last year so it's not unreasonable to think 11-5 could win the NFC West because I think you have to factor in how much more competitive the division is going to be.

So you could lose 2 and manage to lose 2 or 3 more the rest of the season and still have a good shot at the division.

With that said I don't see either the 9ers or Seahawks going 0-2 to start. If the 9ers lose to the Packers they are going to be fired up for the Seahawks game and if the Seahawks lose to the Panthers they are going to be fired up for the 9ers. Of course they could both lose their week 1 games but out of all the possibilities that would be the lowest one in my book.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not forget, its not just the 49ers and Seahawks, you got to keep an eye out for the Rams.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can but it would be an uphill battle. 11-4-1 won the division last year so it's not unreasonable to think 11-5 could win the NFC West because I think you have to factor in how much more competitive the division is going to be.

So you could lose 2 and manage to lose 2 or 3 more the rest of the season and still have a good shot at the division.

With that said I don't see either the 9ers or Seahawks going 0-2 to start. If the 9ers lose to the Packers they are going to be fired up for the Seahawks game and if the Seahawks lose to the Panthers they are going to be fired up for the 9ers. Of course they could both lose their week 1 games but out of all the possibilities that would be the lowest one in my book.

Truthfully I don't see either the Seahawks or 49ers losing their first game, but you just never know.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Truthfully I don't see either the Seahawks or 49ers losing their first game, but you just never know.

I don't see it either but both their respective opponents are fully capable of beating them so it wouldn't be a major surprise.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Lets not forget, its not just the 49ers and Seahawks, you got to keep an eye out for the Rams.

The Rams are going to make noise and could play as spoiler like the almost did last year but I can't see that team really taking that big next step with Bradford (who's basically a slightly better version of Alex Smith) at the helm.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams are going to make noise and could play as spoiler like the almost did last year but I can't see that team really taking that big next step with Bradford (who's basically a slightly better version of Alex Smith) at the helm.
I disagree with your opinion of Bradford. I think he could be good. He really hasn't had the best supporting cast and a lot of coaching changes have happened( Yeah I know that does sound a bit like what Smith had happen to him) this year will tell the story..is Bradford good or a dud..we'll see. I think he'll be good, not Wilson, Kaep, good, but good.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All the more reason protecting home field is going to be even more important this year than in recent years. You have 3 strong teams trying to take each other down. You damned well better protect your turf or you might get too far behind both to make it back up.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the more reason protecting home field is going to be even more important this year than in recent years. You have 3 strong teams trying to take each other down. You damned well better protect your turf or you might get too far behind both to make it back up.

True that! Which why this is such a big game. You going to be there or are you watching it from a TV?