• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How I would format an 8-team playoff schedule

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the NCAA should hold a 16 team playoff where the 11 conference winners get an automatic bid and there are five at large teams.

That way EVERY team has a path to the title. As it stands right now, at least 66% of the teams cannot win a national championship regardless of what they do, and that feels wrong to me

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair, like teams that don't win their conference or even division can get hot and win it all.....oh wait :think:

:lol: @ Auburn beating both rivals only to watch them end up in the NCG against each other.

Bad-Luck-Brian.jpg

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This argument will go on forever, the fans of the "elite" NAME teams will always be against a REAL playoff, as they would have to actually play the teams without a name who say say are unworthy. Ask Auburn how unworthy UCF was last year..........

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the NCAA should hold a 16 team playoff where the 11 conference winners get an automatic bid and there are five at large teams. That way EVERY team has a path to the title. As it stands right now, at least 66% of the teams cannot win a national championship regardless of what they do, and that feels wrong to me
Only 10 conferences now, which is perfect for my playoff idea. Power 5 conference winners with 3 at-larges in their own playoff and Other 5 conference winners with 3 at-larges in their own playoff. Nobody wants to see Alabama vs Toledo in a playoff game. No, they don't. Alabama vs Ohio St? Hell yes. Toledo vs FAU? Hell yes.

Power 5--ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12, SEC
Other 5--American, C-USA, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 10 conferences now, which is perfect for my playoff idea. Power 5 conference winners with 3 at-larges in their own playoff and Other 5 conference winners with 3 at-larges in their own playoff. Nobody wants to see Alabama vs Toledo in a playoff game. No, they don't. Alabama vs Ohio St? Hell yes. Toledo vs FAU? Hell yes.

Power 5--ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12, SEC
Other 5--American, C-USA, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt

Yeah, I'm in favor of an 8 team playoff. I wouldn't want to go any bigger than that.

As it stands now, there is always going to be 1 and sometimes 2 P5 conference champions who are left out.

As you pointed out, it would allow for all P5 conference champs and 3 "at large" teams.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think an 8 team playoff happens sooner rather than later, would make for a fairer playoff system too IMO.
You know what isn't going to happen? The major Bowls aren't going to agree to taking a pay cut, diluting their product vale, out of a sense of "fairness."

CFP announces playoff dates through 2025 season

Last month, the College Football Playoff announced agreements on extensions with the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls. With the 2018 season set to commence in earnest this weekend, the CFP has now announced the specific dates for all of its New Year’s Six Bowls as well as the national championship games through the 2025 season.
Nothing is going to change until at least 2026.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what isn't going to happen? The major Bowls aren't going to agree to taking a pay cut, diluting their product vale, out of a sense of "fairness."

CFP announces playoff dates through 2025 season

Nothing is going to change until at least 2026.*
*Provided ESPN and the cable market behind this format doesn't collapse before 2025 which is far from certain.

The money distribution system is a major component of the CFP and is backed by the TV contracts. If/when those go away there will be room for major sweeping changes.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Provided ESPN and the cable market behind this format doesn't collapse before 2025 which is far from certain.

The money distribution system is a major component of the CFP and is backed by the TV contracts. If/when those go away there will be room for major sweeping changes.
Fair point.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They'll renew in 2025 and it's doubtful there will be 8 teams IMO.

Despite the crying, there hasn't been a need for more teams. If there are any tweaks/changes, it will be in the selection process, not the number of teams.

More teams is just people crying for AQ status.

But the P5 conferences all get paid the same regardless of how many teams they get into the playoffs as I understand it. There are individual bowl payout extras, but all the conferences, even G5(they get much less though), get paid like 50 million by the playoffs every year.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll renew in 2025 and it's doubtful there will be 8 teams IMO.

Despite the crying, there hasn't been a need for more teams. If there are any tweaks/changes, it will be in the selection process, not the number of teams.

More teams is just people crying for AQ status.

But the P5 conferences all get paid the same regardless of how many teams they get into the playoffs as I understand it. There are individual bowl payout extras, but all the conferences, even G5(they get much less though), get paid like 50 million by the playoffs every year.
Calm down. You know full well I'm not in favor of expanding anything.

My point was simply it's not a guarantee that the current format survives through 2025 because of the declining networks propping it up. That is IMO the only thing that could create change before the current contract runs out. ESPN is failing and we all know it.

That doesn't mean if ESPN does collapse and the CFP agreement with it, that whatever new comes in will expand to more teams. It would likely be more about a money shift than a format shift. There are millions paid out to even teams/conferences with no teams in the playoffs or bowls and those deals likely have to change if/when ESPN falls. That was all I said.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm down. You know full well I'm not in favor of expanding anything.

My point was simply it's not a guarantee that the current format survives through 2025 because of the declining networks propping it up. That is IMO the only thing that could create change before the current contract runs out. ESPN is failing and we all know it.

That doesn't mean if ESPN does collapse and the CFP agreement with it, that whatever new comes in will expand to more teams. It would likely be more about a money shift than a format shift. There are millions paid out to even teams/conferences with no teams in the playoffs or bowls and those deals likely have to change if/when ESPN falls. That was all I said.

I'm calm.

Just saying what I figure will happen.