• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How good will the Warriors be next season?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that we can project that Klay will be back and close to what he was at this point. It's just wait and see really. Two full seasons lost. It could take a good deal of time for him to get back close to his former level of play.

If nothing else, the Warriors added a few young pieces and got their role players some great experience to build upon. They're already approx $25M over the cap without retaining or S&T Oubre, so not a lot of flexibilty (not that they should need it if Klay comes back strong). More of a question about the luxury tax repeating I guess.
If they can get a cheaper player for oubre, they should do it.

they can’t pay him, but they need some semblance of useful depth on the bench

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are healthy, they won't be the favorites to win the title...but they will be in the convo.

Depends.

Assuming they get that Minny pick, they will have 2 highly valuable assets to pair in a potential trade.

They could be able to land another difference maker.

And they should if Kerr is going to not allow the kids enough PT to develop.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends.

Assuming they get that Minny pick, they will have 2 highly valuable assets to pair in a potential trade.

They could be able to land another difference maker.

And they should if Kerr is going to not allow the kids enough PT to develop.

That would certainly help, but I think Klay being healthy and playing at "Klay level" would be enough to get them in the convo because he will make Draymond and Wiggins both better.

What you suggest could elevate them to favorite status.

Reactions: DJ

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would certainly help, but I think Klay being healthy and playing at "Klay level" would be enough to get them in the convo because he will make Draymond and Wiggins both better.

No doubt.

I was saying depends because they could easily be favorites going into the playoffs next year. Could go either way really depending on their off season and the health of Klay and Curry.

Of course, that also depends on what the Nets do in the playoffs and if any other contenders make improvements.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask me again in August

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WCF contender. Maybe even title caliber depending on Klay and Wisemans improvement

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can get a cheaper player for oubre, they should do it.

they can’t pay him, but they need some semblance of useful depth on the bench

Warriors luxury tax bill for this coming season is estimated at $110M.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors luxury tax bill for this coming season is estimated at $110M.

exacrly. If they turn oubre into a cheaper, even if worse bench player, it’s better then losing him for nothing.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exacrly. If they turn oubre into a cheaper, even if worse bench player, it’s better then losing him for nothing.

Is Oubre's salary included in that luxury tax number though? He's not under contract; it would be a S&T.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can anyone expect Klay to come back as himself? A large part of his value was his solid (elite?) D. And now he is coming off 2 missed season due to 2 catastrophic leg injuries. No way in hell is he coming back as the same Klay. His offense may be somewhat comparable, but he will not be able to contribute at the same level on the other side of the court.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can anyone expect Klay to come back as himself? A large part of his value was his solid (elite?) D. And now he is coming off 2 missed season due to 2 catastrophic leg injuries. No way in hell is he coming back as the same Klay. His offense may be somewhat comparable, but he will not be able to contribute at the same level on the other side of the court.
When did you change your handle Nolan?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did you change your handle Nolan?
Dem is fightin’ words...

I am just a realist. 2 missed years with 2 MAJOR leg injuries added to an aging, hard-worked body. I believe his shooting should come back, so he will still be an asset. He just won’t be the same 2-way player he was before. And he was what, 2nd-team all defense? Losing that will hurt.

but again, his offense should be almost the same. He was never a lane-driver anyway, so he should be fine.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dem is fightin’ words...

I am just a realist. 2 missed years with 2 MAJOR leg injuries added to an aging, hard-worked body. I believe his shooting should come back, so he will still be an asset. He just won’t be the same 2-way player he was before. And he was what, 2nd-team all defense? Losing that will hurt.

but again, his offense should be almost the same. He was never a lane-driver anyway, so he should be fine.
Obviously we don't know yet. It's certainly possible he will be diminished on defense, but you are not even allowing the possibility that he'll be pretty close to himself, like Durant is. Let's see what happens, neither of us is suggesting something impossible.

The reason they sit out so long is to be totally healed. Healed is healed, and as Curry is showing, Klay ain't that old.

So again, you can choose to see it half full or half empty. I think he'll be pretty much the old Klay. This team has always been more than the sum of its parts. Him back makes everyone better. Wiggins as the 3rd option is better than Wiggins as the 2nd. Now Dray is really not needed to score. Wiseman and the #4 pick are assets. They'll be in the mix next year (but obviously not favored like the KD teams or the 73 win team). Look how far Phoenix came adding one key player...

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,406.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that we can project that Klay will be back and close to what he was at this point. It's just wait and see really. Two full seasons lost. It could take a good deal of time for him to get back close to his former level of play.

If nothing else, the Warriors added a few young pieces and got their role players some great experience to build upon. They're already approx $25M over the cap without retaining or S&T Oubre, so not a lot of flexibilty (not that they should need it if Klay comes back strong). More of a question about the luxury tax repeating I guess.
Oubre is gone.....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,406.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We don't need to think about that....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,406.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it to DJ to stir interesting and thought provoking NBA talk on tHoop.