• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How does Lovie Smith still have a job this morning?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn embarrassing. At least they will have a top 3 pick in the draft. Chances are that they might have their choice of the top QB if the Carr plays well the rest of the season & the Jaguars continue being the Jaguars.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is performing exactly how we Bear fans thought he would.

Give him a few years and things will turn around.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco looked as if he was playing Tecmo Bowl in that first quarter and poor Lovie had a front row seat.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question.

He's a HC, not a miracle worker......It's his first yr with a team that he has to build, he has shown some improvement, and has put some good talent on that team.
Give the guy a chance to do his job....
Not often a HC walks into a winning team on the brink of a SB like Chuckie did, or walk into a team with an offensive genius at qb like Dungy did.....
Lovie is a good coach, it's the players that have to perform the plan on the field, and given time, he wil get them there......
They just ran into a buzz saw yesterday, my boys were wired tight and ready to explode.....
Go Ravens.......:clap:

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He brought McCown in, made him the starter before OTAs even started, then after watching him flounder for 3 games and injuring himself he stated that when Josh returns, he will be the starter. I've called Lovie Stuck On Stupid since he wouldn't bench a pathetic Wrecks Grossman for a servicable Kyle Orton and he does nothing but justify that label every day of is coaching career.

And like clockwork, Lovie is starting McCown this week. What an idiot.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And like clockwork, Lovie is starting McCown this week. What an idiot.

No expert on the situation in any way, but if the team has too many issues to deal with, why not? And Tampa has too many issues to deal with, it seems to go anywhere this season, or possibly even the next.

I know Andy Reid started Doug Pederson the first year of his tenure in Philadelphia (and let McNabb sit on the bench) - even though everybody knew Doug Pederson was not what you wanted to see as a QB of your team. Worked out pretty well for Andy in the end, I would say...

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No expert on the situation in any way, but if the team has too many issues to deal with, why not? And Tampa has too many issues to deal with, it seems to go anywhere this season, or possibly even the next.

I know Andy Reid started Doug Pederson the first year of his tenure in Philadelphia (and let McNabb sit on the bench) - even though everybody knew Doug Pederson was not what you wanted to see as a QB of your team. Worked out pretty well for Andy in the end, I would say...

Because Josh McCown is horrible. His play the first 3 weeks has made Glennon's play look promising. There is no reason to bench the kid at this point in favor of a guy who can do no better, but will likely do worse.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Josh McCown is horrible. His play the first 3 weeks has made Glennon's play look promising. There is no reason to bench the kid at this point in favor of a guy who can do no better, but will likely do worse.

That was the same thing that could be said about Pederson vs McNabb back in the day - everybody clamoured for McNabb to be sent in. I was not there for the Bobby Hoying days, but IIRC it was to referred to as being (close to) that bad. Throwing Glennon in into this mess for no good reason can pretty much only make matters worse... assuming you see Glennon as somebody to be used somewhere next season. Likewise if you want to install a system on offense McCown is familiar with, and Glennon and the rest of the team not yet.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the same thing that could be said about Pederson vs McNabb back in the day - everybody clamoured for McNabb to be sent in. I was not there for the Bobby Hoying days, but IIRC it was to referred to as being (close to) that bad. Throwing Glennon in into this mess for no good reason can pretty much only make matters worse... assuming you see Glennon as somebody to be used somewhere next season. Likewise if you want to install a system on offense McCown is familiar with, and Glennon and the rest of the team not yet.

Here's the problem I have with the new regime in TB...McCown hadn't really earned a starting job in the NFL...he just happened to be available and he knew the OFC system. Yeah, it probably was looked at as the quick fix to put a stop gap QB in there...it didn't work...and McCown was part of the reason...Glennon is the more talented QB with more upside, but he doesn't know the system quite as well...he hasn't worked either.

To go back to McCown imo is a panic move by a 1st yr HC and I really didn't expect that from Lovie.

You know that McCown is not the answer...the prudent move imo was to play Glennon the rest of the way and see if there's enough improvement to justify keeping him for next year or drafting a QB high.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the problem I have with the new regime in TB...McCown hadn't really earned a starting job in the NFL...he just happened to be available and he knew the OFC system. Yeah, it probably was looked at as the quick fix to put a stop gap QB in there...it didn't work...and McCown was part of the reason...Glennon is the more talented QB with more upside, but he doesn't know the system quite as well...he hasn't worked either.

To go back to McCown imo is a panic move by a 1st yr HC and I really didn't expect that from Lovie.

You know that McCown is not the answer...the prudent move imo was to play Glennon the rest of the way and see if there's enough improvement to justify keeping him for next year or drafting a QB high.

As said before, I remember Andy Reid do something similar right after having drafted McNabb, bringing in Doug P., who nobody could ever consider a legitimate starter, to start, while trying to get some of his ideas on offense installed, and provide some basic framework for McNabb to step into. Might even (though not completely sure) that as the O-line was a disaster, he allowed Pederson to take the pounding for (most) of the season, and have McNabb get in at the end, and provide him with a functional O-line the next season (IIRC Runyan was brought in that offseason).

I think a legit argument can be made that the Bucs are such a disaster, that there is no way to properly evaluate Glennon at all, because it is impossible to identify whether the issue is Glennon, or the pile of excrement surrounding him on offense.

I think in one of the other threads, it has come up how part of the failure of David Carr can be explained by the mess he was placed in, and that by the time the mess (could) have been cleared. It has also been given by Andy (was even at the time) as to why he started Pederson rather than McNabb in McNabb's first season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As said before, I remember Andy Reid do something similar right after having drafted McNabb, bringing in Doug P., who nobody could ever consider a legitimate starter, to start, while trying to get some of his ideas on offense installed, and provide some basic framework for McNabb to step into. Might even (though not completely sure) that as the O-line was a disaster, he allowed Pederson to take the pounding for (most) of the season, and have McNabb get in at the end, and provide him with a functional O-line the next season (IIRC Runyan was brought in that offseason).

I think a legit argument can be made that the Bucs are such a disaster, that there is no way to properly evaluate Glennon at all, because it is impossible to identify whether the issue is Glennon, or the pile of excrement surrounding him on offense.

I think in one of the other threads, it has come up how part of the failure of David Carr can be explained by the mess he was placed in, and that by the time the mess (could) have been cleared. It has also been given by Andy (was even at the time) as to why he started Pederson rather than McNabb in McNabb's first season.

I get what you're saying about AR in Philly, and maybe that was in play to a degree in Tampa.

Really the same OL from LY adding Mankins I think...imo instead of coming in and evaluating what was there ( a decent front 7, and Vjax really) they immediately installed a journeyman QB that really has never been a starter...never made sense to me. Now that they've made the switch...there's nothing to salvage in terms of the season...why go back to what you know wasn't working? Play it out and get in line for one of these kids from ORE, or FSU in the draft.

2Legit2Quit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
554%20-%20Big_Wiggle%20Norman_Smiley%20autoplay_gif%20dance%20gif%20monday_nitro%20wcw.gif

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying about AR in Philly, and maybe that was in play to a degree in Tampa.

Really the same OL from LY adding Mankins I think...imo instead of coming in and evaluating what was there ( a decent front 7, and Vjax really) they immediately installed a journeyman QB that really has never been a starter...never made sense to me. Now that they've made the switch...there's nothing to salvage in terms of the season...why go back to what you know wasn't working? Play it out and get in line for one of these kids from ORE, or FSU in the draft.

Yeah... seems that Tampa has little to play for other than a draft pick (possibly/probably QB). Maybe going for the 'make it to Mariota' sweepstakes... thing is, they cannot afford too much success along the way, and already risk the Jets taking him of the board... Any other good candidates out there?

2Legit2Quit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mariota71ydtdrun1.gif

#blowyourloadaformariota

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... seems that Tampa has little to play for other than a draft pick (possibly/probably QB). Maybe going for the 'make it to Mariota' sweepstakes... thing is, they cannot afford too much success along the way, and already risk the Jets taking him of the board... Any other good candidates out there?

Thin at the top this draft. My theory on these athletic read option QBs...they are 4 year projects...2 to learn how to be an NFL QB, and 2 to prove themselves. Letting them run the read option as a consistent part of the offense in the NFL only sets them back long term imo.

Mariota is probably 1st off the board, but off field stuff aside, I don't see a whole lot of difference between him and Winston talent wise.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I originally asked this question about a year ago - after the Bucs were destroyed 56-14 by the Falcons in week 3 - and took a lot of shit for it. That's fine, only week 3.

Then I asked again in week 6, when the Bucs were thumped 48-17 by the Ravens. In both games, the Bucs were completely unprepared to play and were entirely lost on their coach.

Fast-forward to yesterday. Perhaps the most embarrassing football display in modern league history. Getting absolutely crushed by an awful football team - the 2nd worst team in the league last year. And again, the team was entirely unprepared to play, and performed as if coachless. Shocking performance, really. And Lovie still has a job today?