• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's your guide throughout the 2017 CFB season!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened early on (Part 1)

Let's see what's happened so far today (at around 6:51 P.M)

Pittsburgh and Oregon State escaped disaster, but Youngstown State and Portland State still got some dab from their FCS bredrin.
California won a good one at North Carolina, Iowa silenced Wyoming, and Notre Dame looks OK (for now at least) against Temple.

Maryland vs. Texas - Box Score - September 2, 2017 - ESPN As for that game in Austin, just know that the game thread is at 500 posts... and climbing!

(By the way, is there a game thread for Stony Brook vs. South Florida? 'Cause there should!)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened early on (Part 2)

Before you guys bury yourselves in Alabama/FSU, let me give you another update:

Michigan vs. Florida - Game Summary - September 2, 2017 - ESPN First, Michigan gives up 2 interceptions that Florida returned for TD's and they STILL won! I blame Florida's piss-poor run game.

Meanwhile, South Carolina won a thriller over NC State, USF escapes Stony Brook, and UAB returns to football with a win. Oh, and as I speak USC is STILL having trouble with Western Michigan!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sunday's action

Last night, we had a showdown between 2 elite teams: FOX and ABC. Which network will give us the better game? And once the dust settled, the winner was... the fans! BOTH games were great.

West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech - Box Score - September 3, 2017 - ESPN There was a back-and-forth struggle between two bitter rivals in Landover...

Texas A&M vs. UCLA - Box Score - September 3, 2017 - ESPN ...and there was maybe the game-of-the-year as UCLA rallies from 34 points down... Oops, FOX wins the fight, sorry about all that!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 1 Recap

And with Labor Day finally over, it's time for that great segment I do called "What We've Learned This Week!"

What I learned from Week 1 is...

1. Man... I am SO glad I didn't put Florida State in the playoff during preseason!

2. ESPN really needs to keep doing these great games on Labor Day Weekend.
Tennessee vs. Georgia Tech - Box Score - September 4, 2017 - ESPN I mean, look at this incredible game we got in Hotlanta.

3. I found out that Howard University is now being coached by former Virginia coach Mike London. First game in D.C, and he defeats UNLV. Go figure.

4. Unless Kevin Sumlin defeats his next 2 opponents (Nicholls State and UL-Lafayette) by a combined score of 108-0, he'll be hearing about A&M's collapse at UCLA 'till the cows come home.

5. UAB won their opener against Alabama A&M. Good for them!

And finally, Jeff Brohm got his short-handed Purdue team to hang around with a strong Louisville squad. Do I hear a Big 10 title coming to West Lafayette soon?

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 2: Top 10 Games

To be honest with you guys, I wanted to put UL-Monroe vs. Florida State on this next countdown so bad. I mean, with Deondre Francois now gone for the season FSU has to have another QB step up and fast.

But the state of Florida has their own set of problems to face right now, so I'd rather not. Instead, here is...

The Top 10 Games of the 2017 CFB Season (Week 2)

(All times are Eastern)
10. South Carolina @ Missouri [7:00, ESPN2] ("sigh"... Is this going to be another season of "Alabama and everybody else" in the SEC? We'll find out soon enough! Both the Gamecocks and the Tigers begin their SEC campaigns here, and we'll see Jake Bentley take on Drew Lock in a QB duel.
P.S: The over/under on this game is 73. If I were you, I'd bet on the under.)

9. Utah @ BYU [10:15, ESPN2] (Originally, I had Iowa @ Iowa State in the #9 spot. But then I realized that the game in Ames doesn't really have a sense of urgency.
This installment of the "Holy War", however, does. And you can blame BYU getting their @$$ kicked in New Orleans for that. Will the Cougars offense recover and shock the Utes, or will BYU's season be on life support at 1-2?)

8. Boise State @ Washington State [10:30, ESPN] ( :clap: Congrats, Washington State! You finally got rid of your opening-night jitters! Now that that's over, let's see you avenge last year's loss to the Broncos. But if Brett Rypien gets going, that won't be easy to do.)

7. Nebraska @ Oregon [4:30, FOX] (This one is just a simple Big-10 vs. PAC-12 match-up, straight up. But I will say this: If Nebraska's defense plays the same way they did against Arkansas State last week, they're gonna get STOMPED in Eugene. Tre Bryant, think you can help the Huskers out?)

6. TCU @ Arkansas [3:30, CBS] (In Part 2 of this home-and-home series, both TCU and Arkansas are looking to grab something. For Arkansas coach Bret Bielema, it's about getting a big win to boost his resume [and to turn down the heat in Fayetteville]. For TCU, it's about pride and winning momentum for a hard trek through the Big 12.)

5. Georgia @ Notre Dame [7:30, NBC] (We guys here at Sportshoopla have been hyping this game up for months, and now the talking has to stop. That's because Notre Dame [for their head coach] and Georgia [to boost their national profile] is ready to fight.
But Georgia losing their QB Jacob Eason has added a new wrinkle to the proceedings; if Georgia loses this game, we're now kinda expecting it, and if Georgia wins, we'll all be throwing praise Kirby Smart's way. Hmmm...)

4. Pittsburgh @ Penn State [3:30, ABC] (...Yeah, I think this rivalry is back! Especially when you take into account that Pittsburgh beat the Nittany Lions last September, yet the Nittany Lions went on to win the Big 10 title, and then found out that their loss to Pitt costed them a spot in the 4-team playoff. Let's just say Penn State doesn't want that to happen again.
P.S: Vegas has Penn State as a 22-point favorite? :nono: I don't believe you!)

3. Auburn @ Clemson [7:00, ESPN] (All I'll say about this game is that we'll find out what Auburn's QB [Jarrett Stidham] and Clemson's QB [Kelly Bryant] are capable of doing here. Oh, and Clemson? We'll also find out how good that D-line of yours REALLY is.)

2. Stanford @ USC [8:30, FOX] (You'd think that I would cool off on this game after USC's struggles with Western Michigan, right? Well guess what? I think that makes this game MORE interesting; USC should still be powerful enough to stop Stanford, but now there's no margin for error. Comprende, Sam Darnold?
P.S to Stanford's Keller Chryst: I think USC's defense will be a LITTLE harder to crack than Rice's. Call it a hunch.)

1. Oklahoma @ Ohio State [7:30, ABC] (One blowout win against lowly UTEP, and people think that Oklahoma is a Top-5 team?! ...We'll find out if that's the case soon enough in this EPIC encounter. Oh, and Baker Mayfield? If you can beat Ohio State AT Ohio State, THEN I'll put you on my "Heisman Watch" list! 'Kay?)

Best "mid-major" game: Howard @ Kent State (In the words of the great Ric Flair: "Howard... Ya' did it once... Now let's see you try to do it again!" Let's see if a team led by Cam Newton's younger brother can beat another FBS team in Kent State.)
Game with the best chance to be a bust: Nebraska @ Oregon (Yes, the game's on the list. But as I said earlier, if Nebraska's defense doesn't show up it could get VERY ugly in Eugene against a fired-up Oregon squad.)
Honorable mentions for the Top 10: Wake Forest @ Boston College, USF @ UConn, Western Michigan @ Michigan State, Iowa @ Iowa State, and Hawaii @ UCLA.

My prediction segment is next!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 2 predictions

...So I whiffed on my BYU upset pick. Eh, stuff happens. Let's hope I have better luck with my picks for the 2nd week of the season (Excluding FBS vs. FCS games, of course):

Fresno State 6 @ (1)Alabama 45
(5)Oklahoma 34
@ (2)Ohio State 28
(13)Auburn 27 @ (3)Clemson 31
Pittsburgh 21 @ (4)Penn State 28
(14)Stanford 27
@ (6)USC 21
Cincinnati 7 @ (8)Michigan 38
Florida Atlantic 6 @ (9)Wisconsin 40
UL-Monroe 10 @ (10)Florida State 53
(11)Oklahoma State 60
@ South Alabama 24
(15)Georgia 31 @ (24)Notre Dame 24
(17)Louisville 38 @ North Carolina 24
Charlotte 7 @ (19)Kansas State 49
Boise State 42
@ (20)Washington State 38
(21)USF 30 @ UConn 17
(23)TCU 34 @ Arkansas 35

Other big games:
Utah 27
@ BYU 24
Iowa 20 @ Iowa State 30
Nebraska 24 @ Oregon 49
South Carolina 38
@ Missouri 35

...And I'm done! As usual, I'll check back later.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early football action

So what happened in the CFB world so far (as of 6:42 P.M)?

Well, TCU returned the favor against Arkansas by beating them 28-7, Temple held off a challenge from Villanova, and New Hampshire is VERY close to upsetting Georgia Southern.

Earlier on, we saw Army use a fake punt to beat Buffalo, Duke pounding Northwestern...

Louisville vs. North Carolina - Box Score - September 9, 2017 - ESPN ...and Lamar Jackson have a spectalular game... again.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 Action

More statements were made during the late-night hours. We saw Southern Cal silence the Stanford offense long enough to win...

Auburn vs. Clemson - Box Score - September 9, 2017 - ESPN ...then we saw Clemson hold Auburn to only 6 points in their victory. Hey Auburn, I thought Jarrett Stidham was supposed to stop that from happening.

Oklahoma vs. Ohio State - Box Score - September 9, 2017 - ESPN And finally, it's sweet redemption for Oklahoma as one year after Ohio State mocked their home turf, Baker Mayfield helped the Sooners mock Ohio State's home turf. Justice.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What else happened?

So what else happened during the late-night hours? There was a lot.

First, Howard falls short against Kent State, but Mike London (to me) is still in the black over there. Oh, and by the way UNLV won AT Idaho. Weird, right?

Then, Eastern Michigan got it's first-EVER win over a "Power 5" school (It was lowly Rutgers, but it still counts)! Notre Dame would run out of time against Georgia, and Bowling Green and Georgia Southern both got crossed off my Christmas card list (against South Dakota and New Hampshire, respectfully).
And New Mexico State defeated New Mexico... again.

Boise State vs. Washington State - Box Score - September 9, 2017 - ESPN And finally, Washington State won a barnburner against Boise State... just like Iowa against Iowa State.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 3- Top 10 Games

:yawn:
Man, I don't know why I'm so sleepy today. Maybe it's because I had a bad night's sleep due to family problems... or maybe it's because there's only 1 "Drop everything" game this week in college football.
...Ah, don't worry about it. I'm still here, and I'm still willing to work, so let's look into...

The Top 10 Games of College Football 2017 (Week 3)

(All times are Eastern)
10. Illinois @ South Florida [7:00 Friday, ESPN] (As I said earlier, it's great that Floridians are trying to get things back to normal in the wake of the hurricane. And for USF, it's good to know that they're willing to have this Friday night game against a Big 10 opponent.
Just be careful, USF: Mikey Dudek looked good last week for the Illinois Fighting Illini.)

9. Oklahoma State @ Pittsburgh [12:00, ESPN] (This game is actually quite simple. For OK State, it's about handling pressure on the road against a team better than South Alabama. For Pittsburgh, it's just about survival.)

8. SMU @ TCU [3:30, ESPNU] (After beating up Arkansas, TCU is an 18-point favorite here. So why is their game at #8? Because it's their showdown with old rival SMU in the "Battle For the Iron Skillet". And also, SMU's QB [Ben Hicks] and top WR [Courtland Sutton] is a combination that could spell "upset".)

7. Ole Miss @ California [10:30, ESPN] (You know, SEC fans, Ole Miss hasn't been playing like they're on probation recently; they've been looking great. And with a win in Berkeley, their little "revenge tour" will be rolling heading into SEC play.
But if Cal upsets the Rebels, imagine the boost THEY'LL get entering PAC-12 play.)

6. Kentucky @ South Carolina [7:30, SEC Network] (Kentucky enters their SEC opener at 2-0, but didn't really look good in either of those wins. So unless they show some form of explosiveness on offense, Jake Bentley and the Gamecocks will be the "dark-horse" contender in the SEC East, not the Wildcats.)

5. Tennessee @ Florida [3:30, CBS] (If you tune in to watch this game, expect 2 things: A lot of tribute pieces to the people helping with hurricane relief, and a Florida Gators team looking to give their city a surge of pride. Stopping Tennessee QB Quinten Dormady will be key for the Gators to make that 2nd thing happen.)

4. Texas @ USC [8:30, FOX] (I'm not gonna talk about that Rose Bowl from way back when. This is about the here and the now. And right now, Colin Cowherd wants to give Sam Darnold the Heisman after USC's win over Stanford. On the other hand, how will the Longhorn offense fare in Los Angeles against the Trojan defense... or will USC be too hungover to stop it?)

3. Kansas State @ Vanderbilt [7:30, ESPNU] (Don't scoff at this game, folks; both K-State and Vandy are well coached, and both looked good in the first 2 weeks of the season. Oh, and pay attention to Vanderbilt's defense; if it muzzles Jesse Ertz and his offense it'll bode well for the 'Dores.)

2. LSU @ Mississippi State [7:00, ESPN] (Don't sleep on this game, either. On the surface, both teams are pretty similar. But how will LSU's offense fare against an SEC defense? And what will happen if Nick Fitzgerald gets going for the Bulldogs?)

1. Clemson @ Louisville [8:00, ABC] (Okay, so Kelly Bryant looked fine against Auburn. But that was at Clemson. How is he gonna fare against Lamar Jackson and a Louisville team that has grand dreams of their own? Don't forget what Louisville did to Florida State last year when College Gameday came to visit.)

Best "mid-major" game: Rice @ Houston [It's Houston's big return to their home stadium, and awaiting them is a old rival that's also coming home. Plus, Rice beat UTEP last week, so they got some positive vibes going as well.)
Game with the best chance to be a bust: Oregon State @ Washington State (Sorry about this, Gary Andersen. But after your team got blown out by Minnesota, I think your team is gonna be a sitting duck for Luke Falk and the Cougars.)
Honorable mentions for the Top 10: Arizona State @ Texas Tech, Notre Dame @ Boston College, Middle Tennessee @ Minnesota, and Stanford @ San Diego State.

My prediction segment is next!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 3 predictions

I looked at my records for the first 3 prediction segments: and here they are:
Week 1 (Thursday and Friday): 12-0
Week 1 (Saturday through Monday): 12-6
Week 2: 13-4

...You know, that doesn't look half bad! Let's see if I can keep up the pace on this week (FBS vs. FCS games are not included):

Colorado State 14 @ (1)Alabama 44
Tulane 9 @ (2)Oklahoma 61
(3)Clemson 21 @ (15)Louisville 28
Texas 31 @ (4)USC 38
Georgia State 3 @ (5)Penn State 40
Fresno State 10 @ (6)Washington 44
Air Force 7 @ (7)Michigan 31
Army 7 @ (8)Ohio State 38
(9)Oklahoma State 45
@ Pittsburgh 17
(10)Wisconsin 24 @ BYU 21
(12)LSU 28 @ Mississippi State 24
(16)Virginia Tech 38 @ East Carolina 14
(18)Kansas State 24 @ Vanderbilt 27
(19)Stanford 35
@ San Diego State 20
SMU 28 @ (20)TCU 50
Oregon State 21 @ (21)Washington State 31
Illinois 14 @ (22)USF 21
(23)Tennessee 27
@ (24)Florida 14
(25)UCLA 30 @ Memphis 21

Other big games:
Baylor 37
@ Duke 24
Middle Tennessee 24 @ Minnesota 27
Kentucky 17 @ South Carolina 23
Cincinnati 14 @ Miami-Ohio 17

...And I'm done! Let's all hope for better days ahead...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened early on (Part 1)

So what's been going on today (as of 6: P.M?)

Well, despite Josh Rosen throwing for 463 yards and 4 TD's, UCLA still got upset by Memphis! Is Jim Mora in trouble? Watch UCLA's next game (against Stanford) to find out!
As for Memphis, I now can't wait for their game with UCF on September 30th. (Thanks to Georgia State, by the way, for making that game possible.)

Elsewhere, Wisconsin put a beatdown on BYU in a win, UAB won AGAIN, and Kansas STILL hasn't won on the road since 2009. And Baylor saved their season by defeating Du-

Baylor vs. Duke - Box Score - September 16, 2017 - ESPN What's that? Duke won against Baylor? ...Well, Baylor's toast in 2017.