• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Have you LOL'd at washington today?

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOL'd again today!

I starting my LOLing after I heard on the radio everyone saying their CFP chances are most likely done. what a BEAUTIFUL day in the Pacific Northwest!
Droider? That you?

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be sure not to miss out on Nov. 4th's game when Oregon gets their shit pushed in.
2d4857f759edfa4a71abbd65ba25ef01.gif

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers was brought in because it turns the BTN on every cable package in New York, New Jersey, and D.C. into in network pricing which doubles the cost. This added 8 million more TV packages at an increased revenue of .56 each. On top of that when the BTN is now doing cable deals and commercials it has more power than it did before because of the increased number of TVs. Just like all these stupid night games, this has little to do with football and everything to do with money. No fan actually wanted Rutgers.
This is a very naive sports fan opinion. Conferences don't invite teams to join because they think they're good at football, they invite them because they think it will generate revenue in one way or another. This is just like those people who were freaking out about the Pac 12 not inviting Boise St. Sure, Boise was good in football, but they provided little else. This is why it never went anywhere.
I can't speak for D.C. But I was born in NY and have spent the majority of my life here. When it comes to NY and fans of NY sports teams. The only thing that matters to their fans is winning. If a team isn't winning the majority don't care. No one is spending money on Rutgers. The only time I think I've ever heard Rutgers mentioned around NY/NJ was during the Ray Rice era. If that's why Rutgers was brought into the B1G to sell TV packages. I would say that's a bad business plan imo

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for D.C. But I was born in NY and have spent the majority of my life here. When it comes to NY and fans of NY sports teams. The only thing that matters to their fans is winning. If a team isn't winning the majority don't care. No one is spending money on Rutgers. The only time I think I've ever heard Rutgers mentioned around NY/NJ was during the Ray Rice era. If that's why Rutgers was brought into the B1G to sell TV packages. I would say that's a bad business plan imo
It doesn't matter if there people of New York actually watch the games. They are still paying .56 more per month to have a cable plan with the BTN on it. Heck my basic 100+ channels contains BTN on it. So you are talking about 8 million people paying an extra .56 a month and don't even notice it. That's nearly $4.5 million a month and nearly $54 million a year in increased revenue based solely upon changing New York and New Jersey into in market vs out of market. Not including future negotiations.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't matter if there people of New York actually watch the games. They are still paying .56 more per month to have a cable plan with the BTN on it. Heck my basic 100+ channels contains BTN on it. So you are talking about 8 million people paying an extra .56 a month and don't even notice it. That's nearly $4.5 million a month and nearly $54 million a year in increased revenue based solely upon changing New York and New Jersey into in market vs out of market. Not including future negotiations.
Beat me to it. This is your answer.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if Rutgers was what they are now when they joined the big 10 you still think that deal would have happened? I get the tv deal, but on top of that Rutgers was showing some life after they had some very good years with Shiano for the first time in ever.

The B1G thought they were adding an average team with a little potential at the time, just like Washington thought they were scheduling what should be an average B1G team at the time.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if Rutgers was what they are now when they joined the big 10 you still think that deal would have happened? I get the tv deal, but on top of that Rutgers was showing some life after they had some very good years with Shiano for the first time of ever.

The B1G thought they were adding an average team with a little potential at the time, just like Washington thought they were scheduling what should be an average B1G team at the time.
For the minimum increase in revenues of $54 million a year based solely upon TV packages, yes I think it happens. No other attainable team would come close to bringing in that kind of money.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible revenue went up due to other variables.But if it did it's not due to Rutgers.Rutgers doesn't have enough pull in this market to sell TV packages. Not in this market anyway.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if Rutgers was what they are now when they joined the big 10 you still think that deal would have happened? I get the tv deal, but on top of that Rutgers was showing some life after they had some very good years with Shiano for the first time in ever.

Again, this was not a football or a sports move, this was purely a money grab.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the minimum increase in revenues of $54 million a year based solely upon TV packages, yes I think it happens. No other attainable team would come close to bringing in that kind of money.
Well, I'm not gonna pretend to know what kind of money a good team in another market would bring in vs a shitty team in a big media market. But you have to figure along with the tv deal, which wouldn't be nothing, while surely still nothing like the ny market, successful teams generate revenue in other ways.

But either way the point stands... Rutgers had some appeal other than the market they were in when the conference brought them in, whether you want to give that any credit for their move or not.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible revenue went up due to other variables.But if it did it's not due to Rutgers.Rutgers doesn't have enough pull in this market to sell TV packages. Not in this market anyway.
It's not a matter of people even wanting the BTN. It's people who want to get their ID channel and AMC to watch the Walking Dead and the BTN gets snuck in with the package because it is in market. So now they are spending a buck extra a month that they don't notice because the package is $60 more a month. It has nothing to do with Rutgers but everything to do with making it considered in market rather than out of market.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm not gonna pretend to know what kind of money a good team in another market would bring in vs a shitty team in a big media market. But you have to figure along with the tv deal, which wouldn't be nothing, while surely still nothing like the ny market, successful teams generate revenue in other ways.

But either way the point stands... Rutgers had some appeal other than the market they were in when the conference brought them in, whether you want to give that any credit for their move or not.
What teams do you think the BigTen had available to them? Cincinnati brings literally 0 TVs to in market because Ohio already is in market. Boise State has next to no TVs compared to a potential 8 million from NYC alone.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What teams do you think the BigTen had available to them? Cincinnati brings literally 0 TVs to in market because Ohio already is in market. Boise State has next to no TVs compared to a potential 8 million from NYC alone.
Considering the Big East was going under take your pick. What about Syracuse? Would they not have brought the same, or a similar tv deal?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a matter of people even wanting the BTN. It's people who want to get their ID channel and AMC to watch the Walking Dead and the BTN gets stuck in with the package because it is in market. So now they are spending a buck extra a month that they don't notice because the package is $60 more a month. It has nothing to do with Rutgers but everything to do with making it considered in market rather than out of market.
I get ID and AMC without the BTN network. You'll also see more people here streaming TWD etc on Hulu etc... The only way I may even have BTN would be if it's a part of the PAC network package which is national and has nothing to do with Rutgers.NY fan bases will turn on the beloved Yankees here. If they are having a down year. As well as the Giants, Rangers..... Most people here don't even know who Rutgers is anymore. If they are making any money it's not due to Rutgers.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You
Considering the Big East was going under take your pick. What about Syracuse? Would they not have brought the same tv deal?
they are northern New York and would not be included in the NYC market.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the Big East was going under take your pick. What about Syracuse? Would they not have brought the same, or a similar tv deal?
Syracuse and Army actually have a bigger following here. Syracuse mostly upstate and with basketball. Army football is a tradition. But we get those games free

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this again, the scheduling of Rutgers was a weak ass move by a combo of weak ass leaders at UW that no longer are there. It's really that simple.

Sure, Rutgers was a little better than they are now, but UW was still trying to get past the 6-7 win mark and not looking to schedule real competition in lieu of padding non meaning wins. They didn't have a championship mentality and it showed on and off the field. There was no concern over what that schedule would mean to a playoff committee because they weren't forward thinking enough to imagine they would be this good. And they wouldn't have been had Sark and Woodward stayed as a combo. If Woodward was still here with Petersen there is little doubt they would be working as hard as Cohen is on getting more meat on that table.

Sark had no penis and we are paying the price for it this year and last season.

There is no need to make Rutgers or their selection appear better than it was. Doesn't change things anyway.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a matter of people even wanting the BTN. It's people who want to get their ID channel and AMC to watch the Walking Dead and the BTN gets snuck in with the package because it is in market. So now they are spending a buck extra a month that they don't notice because the package is $60 more a month. It has nothing to do with Rutgers but everything to do with making it considered in market rather than out of market.
I already answered this not sure how your cable company works. But we get both AMC and ID without BTN here. Sports packages are separated by sport

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You

they are northern New York and would not be included in the NYC market.
You sure? Is it a stretch to force the network into that market for an in state team?

Regardless, I feel like you're still missing the point, which was, okay, you win, it was only for the tv deal, not a sports move, I get it, but that didn't change that they still had something more going for them at the time. Even if you hated the move, did anyone expect they'd be the worst P5 team in a few years? They were expected to be average, with some potential.