• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

have the redskins botched the COusins deal

WHose fault is it Kirk Cousins is not signed

• THe redskins Front office

Votes: 28 96.6%
  • Kirk Cousins

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing him would be botching it for me though. They have botched up the best time to trade him however. Seems like a very strange situation at this point. Lacks direction.

2 biggest games of his life, lost AT home to the Packers

Lost AT home to a Giants team playing for absolutely nothing, resting half their team

Red Flags on Cousins shine very bright

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Cousins looks like a very good QB, now thats not calling him elite but he is easily a quality starter in this league. Even the top draft pick isn't a sure NFL starter, cousins is.

I guess that's just my thing. When I watch I see a guy who has a strong OL and receivers that really expand the field for him; with a quality scheme to boot. Cousins is probably the most polarizing QB in the league. Lot of film people either detest him or defend him religiously. I probably side more with the Cian (yes, yes, he's an asshole I know) side of things when it comes to Cousins, but not as hostile.

2 biggest games of his life, lost AT home to the Packers

Lost AT home to a Giants team playing for absolutely nothing, resting half their team

Red Flags on Cousins shine very bright

This might be a hot take, but I get the impression Cousins has the emptiest stats in the league at QB. His actual talent and ability are inflated quite a bit, imo. Fool's gold type deal. Certainly a starter but he'll be in his mid 30's by the time the Skins have a legit SB roster most likely. That's a tough tough sell for me when the Skins are just ok with Cousins right now.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The front office. Cousin's good and Washington should have him locked up long term.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be a hot take, but I get the impression Cousins has the emptiest stats in the league at QB. His actual talent and ability are inflated quite a bit, imo. Fool's gold type deal. Certainly a starter but he'll be in his mid 30's by the time the Skins have a legit SB roster most likely. That's a tough tough sell for me when the Skins are just ok with Cousins right now.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I just think he's another example of a QB that gets elevated by the fact that the position all around is just not very good right now

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, I just think he's another example of a QB that gets elevated by the fact that the position all around is just not very good right now

If a team is simply planning to get to the next level by obtaining the next Brady or Rodgers they might be waiting a long, long time (maybe forever). The Redskins track record for QBs during the Snyder era other than Cousins is horrible. Cousins certainly has flaws, but several of these are correctable - we will see. The problem is that if they move on from on who will be the replacement? That is very problematic. You don't need to be the best at the position - just someone that is good enough - at least to have a shot.

People need to understand that getting this huge contract doesn't mean that you are the best QB at the time or even in the top 10. It is simply a matter of the going rate & timing. What appears to be a top contract now will be middle of the pack in a few years. Just extend him already - it is a risk worth taking since the alternative is not that great.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one person not being added to the mix is Gruden.

I mean he was semi praised for what he did with Dalton in Cinny, it's kind of shocking they haven't drafted a young guy. Granted they have other needs and weren't in a high draft spot over the years, but still no attempt.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how much money they have to spend on filling their roster.
He is a good qb. Snyder seems to fuck a lot of shit up too.

I guess I don't know the answer.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry Redskins fans. If you draft Luke Falk in the 2018 draft you'll be in the Super Bowl in 2019

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team is simply planning to get to the next level by obtaining the next Brady or Rodgers they might be waiting a long, long time (maybe forever). The Redskins track record for QBs during the Snyder era other than Cousins is horrible. Cousins certainly has flaws, but several of these are correctable - we will see. The problem is that if they move on from on who will be the replacement? That is very problematic. You don't need to be the best at the position - just someone that is good enough - at least to have a shot.

People need to understand that getting this huge contract doesn't mean that you are the best QB at the time or even in the top 10. It is simply a matter of the going rate & timing. What appears to be a top contract now will be middle of the pack in a few years. Just extend him already - it is a risk worth taking since the alternative is not that great.

I agree. If I'm a GM for the Redskins I sign Cousin to a contract and trust myself to fix the defense. You can literally wait a decade for a QB that is " good enough" see the Browns for proof. If the Redskins had signed him from the beginning the contract would of been so much more reasonable costwise. Like you said counting on landing the next Brady or Rodgers is slim, realistically teams got to find a QB that can produce in their offensive scheme and Cousin has. I don't think he's some great talent, but the scheme fits him well, be happy you got that.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny paid Albert Haynesworth $100 mil but he won't pay a QB.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get as many picks as possible and draft a QB. The roster isn't good enough yet for Cousins to be a useful buy on his prospective deal. I think you just get by for the next few years until you find a QB that can get where you want to go in relation to the rest of the roster. If the Skins had the defense to go with the offense maybe I'd feel differently about signing Cousins, but it's not there.
I'm sorry but that is crazy. Get by for the next FEW YEARS??? That is an eternity. It may work that way in KC but in the NFC East you don't have the luxury of striving to just "get by" for 3 or 4 years. Heck, knowing Snyder's impatience he may go all in this year even though he's holding shit cards...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Front office obviously. They lacked faith and wanted to hedge their bet on Cousin. Looks kind of asinine now, but they weren't alone in doubting him, plenty still doubt Cousins. Yet they got no backup plan.:L What a cluster fuck.
That right there sums it up IMO. Don't commit to Cousins, but don't get anything else in place either? They deserve it if he has another decent year and then leaves them with their QB position in shambles. On the bright side it will give the Skins fans a chance to tell us about the next Greatest QB to ever snap on a chin strap and then another one again the following year...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but that is crazy. Get by for the next FEW YEARS??? That is an eternity. It may work that way in KC but in the NFC East you don't have the luxury of striving to just "get by" for 3 or 4 years. Heck, knowing Snyder's impatience he may go all in this year even though he's holding shit cards...

Just get by for the next few years? That is crazy. Nobody has that luxury in the NFL. I get he wants to see a end to these cray cray QB contracts, but just not going to happen.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite simply... the front office screwed it up by not signing him sooner but in their defense Kirk Cousins isn't exactly Aaron Rodgers or Brady and I'm truly tired of of it all so whatever happens it is what is at this point.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just get by for the next few years? That is crazy. Nobody has that luxury in the NFL. I get he wants to see a end to these cray cray QB contracts, but just not going to happen.

Wouldn't have been an issue if they signed KC a couple of years ago.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they made an immediate decision and signed him, he'd be cuttable if it happened to be the case that he is incapable of elevating an offense, which I very strongly suspect. This would allow for much greater degree of liquid cap room to retain core players. By waiting as long as they have, they're going to get the worst of both worlds no matter what now.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they made an immediate decision and signed him, he'd be cuttable if it happened to be the case that he is incapable of elevating an offense, which I very strongly suspect. This would allow for much greater degree of liquid cap room to retain core players. By waiting as long as they have, they're going to get the worst of both worlds no matter what now.

Good point. If they felt all along he wasn't their QB of the future, they should have drafted his replacement.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. That contract would seem reasonable now, especially considering his production. The Redskins front office were trying to win on the contract battle. In other words trying to hold the line on QBs that are productive, but not elite. Wow did they screw that up in so many ways. They end up paying him more then what he was asking for ( if rumors of numbers are correct or at least close), they don't bother with a plan B. If they don't sign him now to a long term contract, has to go down as one of the biggest fails by a front office ever.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. That contract would seem reasonable now, especially considering his production. The Redskins front office were trying to win on the contract battle. In other words trying to hold the line on QBs that are productive, but not elite. Wow did they screw that up in so many ways. They end up paying him more then what he was asking for ( if rumors of numbers are correct or at least close), they don't bother with a plan B. If they don't sign him now to a long term contract, has to go down as one of the biggest fails by a front office ever.

I think that ship has sailed.