• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

have the redskins botched the COusins deal

WHose fault is it Kirk Cousins is not signed

• THe redskins Front office

Votes: 28 96.6%
  • Kirk Cousins

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants to play in San Francisco.

Given the rt deal I am sure the Cousins is fine w/staying w/the Redskins. He has a decent team, a familiar situation, an area that he has embraced & a coach that has stuck by him. The issue is getting a deal that he feels is worth it (to him - doesn't matter what others think).

We will see if the Redskins can meet him on that deal by Mon. It sounds grim rt now, but you never know & a lot of these deals are often settled at the last minute.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see if the Redskins can meet him on that deal by Mon. It sounds grim rt now, but you never know & a lot of these deals are often settled at the last minute.
I agree there could be an 11th hour deal, but the question is how much Cousins is hurt by the lack of confidence shown after not one but two good seasons. That's a tall order to forgive and forget when Washington has been lacking solid QB play for years now.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree there could be an 11th hour deal, but the question is how much Cousins is hurt by the lack of confidence shown after not one but two good seasons. That's a tall order to forgive and forget when Washington has been lacking solid QB play for years now.

Just saw an interview w/ Cousins & he doesn't sound like someone who is looking to go elsewhere (never know about his sincerity). In this case I think that it just comes down to the money. If the Skins given him a good offer by Mon there is hope & all will be forgotten if a deal is made. However - given their track record - I certainly would not be shocked if they continue to basically lowball him & try to postpone everything till next offseason (stupid IMO unless Cousins is asking for an insane amt).

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The transition tag doesn't run at 35 mil. It runs about 27-28 mil and allows other teams to offer KC a contract while giving the Redskins the opportunity to match it.
OK, the transition tag = 28.78M. It would just mean he plays one more year in DC. In the end Washington will end up paying Cousins, a QB they don't believe in, over 72M for three years of service.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He wants to play in San Francisco.

giphy.gif

:exploding:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whad'up Harold. Lookin' forward to 2023 when the Niners are ready to kick some Seahawk ass! :tsk: :(

Most 49er fans think it's a foregone conclusion that Kirk will be a 49er next year. :mad2: And nothing fills me with more rage.

No backup plan is better than settling for a "meh" QB who's JUST good enough to sneak you into the playoffs & lose IMO. It's better to just keep replacing the QB w/ the spray & hope technique than sticking with a guy who almost guarantees you're not going to win a SB.

I'm super negative on the 49ers, as you can tell. I think Lynch is an amateur and Shannahan is a choke artist. And I think their plan is dog s**t. In fact, I think the 49ers will rue the day they passed on Trubisky. I REALLY hope 49er fans are wrong and Kirk ends up somewhere else, but I'm not betting on it.

giphy.gif

Hey NinerSickness, long time since I seen you posting here ( I know you been active on the PF ) . I don't think Cousin is great. When he was in college I watched a lot of film on him and he had game manager written all over him. Still he's risen above that, if only by a bit. Credit the system. It fits him well. He can hit short and intermediate passes well, weak on long passes. However he does seem to make good reads usually and thus he has been better then I expected. You'd have go back a long ways to find a Redskin starter that was actually better then Cousins. Think the future looks brighter for Cousins if he remains a Redskins. Knows the system, the players and coaches, has a track record. If he goes to the 49ers IDK if it works out for anyone. Not Cousins ( accept for the contract), 49ers or Redskins. Time will tell how this goes, Cousins could still end up on the Redskins.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey NinerSickness, long time since I seen you posting here ( I know you been active on the PF ) . I don't think Cousin is great. When he was in college I watched a lot of film on him and he had game manager written all over him. Still he's risen above that, if only by a bit. Credit the system. It fits him well. He can hit short and intermediate passes well, weak on long passes. However he does seem to make good reads usually and thus he has been better then I expected. You'd have go back a long ways to find a Redskin starter that was actually better then Cousins. Think the future looks brighter for Cousins if he remains a Redskins. Knows the system, the players and coaches, has a track record. If he goes to the 49ers IDK if it works out for anyone. Not Cousins ( accept for the contract), 49ers or Redskins. Time will tell how this goes, Cousins could still end up on the Redskins.

List of Washington Redskins starting quarterbacks - Wikipedia

Fair assessment. As a Skins fan I would give Cousins higher marks, but I don't disagree that much with your evaluation. The thing is that he is likely good enough to take the Skins relatively far if he is surrounded by enough talent (which may not be true now but certainly could be in a year or two).

See the link above (which I posted in a similar thread on the Redskins board). It shows all of the starting QBs in Redskins history. For the last 20+ years it is a pretty frightening list. Save for Cousins last few years & the odd standout year (RG3 & B Johnson 1 year) these QBs are pretty awful. Cousins may not be considered elite, but (unlike the guys on this list) he is going to put up decent numbers, be accurate, stay healthy (knock on wood) & not alienate the locker room nor run his mouth with the media.

His biggest flaw at this time is playing well in big games. IMO that is correctable. Will it be fixed to a major degree? Who knows - only time will tell. I also agree that Cousins going to the 49ers may not work out in the same manner. Many assume that this is a perfect fit due to Shanahan, but that is no guarantee. I just hope that the Redskins have enough sense to lock up Cousins by Mon (but I have no real faith in that flawed FO).

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-14_15-49-33.png
    upload_2017-7-14_15-49-33.png
    930 bytes · Views: 2

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I think you hit it on the head. He's not a bad QB at all. And that's the worst thing about him. If you want your team to be like the Alex-Smith-led Chiefs in terms of your chances of winning a Super Bowl, go get a QB like Kirk Cousins. :doh:

PLEEEEEEEEASE come to a long-term deal, Washington. :hope:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you hit it on the head. He's not a bad QB at all. And that's the worst thing about him. If you want your team to be like the Alex-Smith-led Chiefs in terms of your chances of winning a Super Bowl, go get a QB like Kirk Cousins. :doh:

Think he's better then Smith. Mostly think he trust himself more then Smith does and that makes a difference.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd take Cousins over Smith too. But I'm 98% sure both will retire with zero SB rings.
If kaep came that close to a sb then smith or cousins has more than a 2% chance. You of all people should know this dude

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If kaep came that close to a sb then smith or cousins has more than a 2% chance. You of all people should know this dude

Kaepernick came close despite his play, not because of it. If the Niners has friggn' Brian Hoyer at QB, they probably would've won that year. :( The point is that Kaepernick still blew it.

If you put together a defense like the 2002 Buccs or the 2000 Ravens, he could win a SB. But those kinds of defenses don't come around very often. Hence the 2%.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick came close despite his play, not because of it. If the Niners has friggn' Brian Hoyer at QB, they probably would've won that year. :( The point is that Kaepernick still blew it.

If you put together a defense like the 2002 Buccs or the 2000 Ravens, he could win a SB. But those kinds of defenses don't come around very often. Hence the 2%.
If they'd have kept smith they'd probably won

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A source with knowledge of the situation told Profootballtalk.com that "internal disagreement exists" within the Redskins' organization "regarding (Kirk) Cousins' actual value."

"Internal disagreement" has existed in Washington's front office regarding Cousins' value for several years, and the leaks are coming out now with just days left before the deadline for teams to sign franchise-tagged players long term. Per Bleacher Report's Jason Cole, ex-Redskins GM Scot McCloughan "wanted to give Cousins a contract extension before 2015," but the "front office declined." The "front office" was/is Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen, who have messed this up from the get go and appear to be in no rush for a resolution.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niner has been as anti-Smith (and Kaep) as anyone on this board in my time here. Is what it is. Not too a big leap that he wouldn't like Cousins. I don't either really, but I'll give him credit for him being mostly consistent with his QB takes.

Last edited:

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do we know if KIrk can win a Super Bowl? He has never had anything close to the defenses representing KC or SF.

Alex Smith has never led an offense nearly as good as Washingtons.

The comparisons in your statement are wildly ignorant.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to be KC's agent. If Wash didn't blow us both and give up the heavens, we would walk and the next contract KC signs would possibly be the highest in history.
A great position to play power ball.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
How do we know if KIrk can win a Super Bowl? He has never had anything close to the defenses representing KC or SF.

Alex Smith has never led an offense nearly as good as Washingtons.

The comparisons in your statement are wildly ignorant.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good or even great offenses can exist incidental to the QB.

Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, and I'd argue Kirk Cousins will all be, and are, excellent examples of this.

Chiefs offense wDVOA with Smith as primary starter

2016: 10th
2015: 3rd
2014: 11th
2013: 10th

Bengals with Dalton as primary starter:

2016: 14th
2015: 7th
2014: 21st
2013: 13th
2012: 17th
2011: 14th

Bears with Cutler as primary starter:

2016: 20th
2015: 9th
2014: 19th
2013: 6th
2012: 24th
2011: 31st
2010: 25th
2009: 28th

Notice this isn't sustained in an above average fashion outside of the Chiefs. Andy Reid effect maybe or Alex Smith is just better than Cutler and Dalton; likely a combination. Sidenote: Cutler has been part of some truly terrible offenses (largely his fault) good lord. Cousins you'll see below is certainly interesting. Not buying in on Cousins, but I do have to acknowledge he's not at Andy Dalton/Cutler level blah. Just have to point it out it doesn't have to be because of Cousins the offense is good per se.

Skins so far with Cousins

2016: 3rd
2015: 13th

SF with Harbaugh era Smith just for shits and giggles:

2012: 7th (Kaep inserted here; hate using QB DVOA, but Smith was ranked 9th- Kaep 3rd just as a weak reference point)
2011: 16th

Smith missed a ton of games prior to 2011 to the point where it's just garbage all around.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would ever vote Cousins was at fault? He is playing the game perfectly and maximizing his value and he has earned that right. So now, once again, I turn to my team's joke of a management team. They will somehow become the first team in history to let a top 10 QB walk. And then they will proceed to 5-11. And so it goes in Washington.