• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hasn't Tennessee tried to hire Gruden twice?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were going to go that route, I'd go after Chip Kelly
Chip would go to a top teir program, Tennessee is far from that. History yes, but has been on a crash and burn spiral. They attempt to outkick their coverage constantly with the hiring process, swing and miss, and look for anyone with a pulse to sign on the dotted line... hence both of their last two HC hires.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go after Scott Satterfield of App State. Boone and Knoxville aren't that far away, and App State is always a good G5 team, hell they took Tennessee to OT just last season and are likely looking at 3 straight 10+ win seasons.

Gruden ain't coming, Chip Kelly ain't coming. Les Miles wouldn't be a bad hire for them if they want to go retread.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go after Scott Satterfield of App State. Boone and Knoxville aren't that far away, and App State is always a good G5 team, hell they took Tennessee to OT just last season and are likely looking at 3 straight 10+ win seasons.

Gruden ain't coming, Chip Kelly ain't coming. Les Miles wouldn't be a bad hire for them if they want to go retread.
Wait? Retard or retread?

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait? Retard or retread?
Screenshot_146.png

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait? Retard or retread?

Retread. Say what you want about Les, maybe he couldn't beat Saban, Hugh Freeze is the only coach that could more than once after Bama got rolling, but he has a national championship and a history of finding ways to win where Butch has a history of finding ways to lose.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I forgot about Bobby Petrino. He can win at Tennessee, maybe not the conference as long as Saban is there, but if he can win at Arkansas, he can win at Tennessee. Only thing is, Urban Meyer jabs aside, he is the biggest scumbag still coaching football.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retread. Say what you want about Les, maybe he couldn't beat Saban, Hugh Freeze is the only coach that could more than once after Bama got rolling, but he has a national championship and a history of finding ways to win where Butch has a history of finding ways to lose.
Ok retard it is...you never said NO

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden makes ~ $5 Million a year to broadcast. No way he is going back into coaching.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip would go to a top teir program, Tennessee is far from that. History yes, but has been on a crash and burn spiral. They attempt to outkick their coverage constantly with the hiring process, swing and miss, and look for anyone with a pulse to sign on the dotted line... hence both of their last two HC hires.

I think Chip Kelley would take the job. In fact he was interested back when we hired Lane Kiffin. However, I am not sure he would be a great fit in Knoxville.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Chip Kelley would take the job. In fact he was interested back when we hired Lane Kiffin. However, I am not sure he would be a great fit in Knoxville.
I find it funny a ton of people say they don't think he would be a good fit... Like everyone says the same thing, I agree he wouldn't fit at LSU. Not convinced his style of offense would excell in the SEC. He would still put up tons of numbers but I think people catch on to a gimmick offense quickly in the SEC. Although he could probably win the East since it is hot garbage at the moment other than Georgia.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not realistically sure who they could hire at this point. There doesn't seem to be many options among the G5 candidates, but they've gone that way the last 2 times and it's failed pretty miserably. Can they pull off getting an up and comer at a current G5 school? Do they try and get an NFL assistant? Do they try and get somebody out of the booth(that isn't Gruden)? Ken Niumatalolo is a fantastic coach, but would Tennessee be willing to run the triple option? I don't see why more power programs don't go that route, especially when you're in a recruiting hot bed and can get good defensive players. Paul Johnson has been really good at Ga Tech and they certainly don't recruit near the level Tennessee has the potential too.

Niumatalolo would be a fantastic hire at Nebraska IMO.
Did you just say a Nintendo would be fantastac at Nebraska??

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just say a Nintendo would be fantastac at Nebraska??
Isn't the Nebraska part of the crowd that argues with me to death that the triple option offense can be used to win a nationa title? So why not?

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny a ton of people say they don't think he would be a good fit... Like everyone says the same thing, I agree he wouldn't fit at LSU. Not convinced his style of offense would excell in the SEC. He would still put up tons of numbers but I think people catch on to a gimmick offense quickly in the SEC. Although he could probably win the East since it is hot garbage at the moment other than Georgia.

Ugh, the SEC West isn't much better. Every team except Alabama and Miss State has lost at least one OOC game. At least the SEC East represented the SEC somewhat well OOC: South Carolina > NC State, Tenn > Ga Tech, Georgia > Notre Dame, Vandy > Kansas State.

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were going to go that route, I'd go after Chip Kelly

I find it funny a ton of people say they don't think he would be a good fit... Like everyone says the same thing.

You have to play defense in the SEC, not sure Kelly would understand that, he hasn't anywhere else he's been.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance they come close to winning the Coastal. As far as their schedule goes, they could easily lose all their remaining games. Also, Broco has really struggled to recruit - which won't fly at any program serious about football.
I don't know about "easily". Benkert is looking great at QB over the last month, with at least two of those wins against teams they probably "should" have lost to. Aside from the Indiana game, the defense has also looked solid. I think 3-3 is a fair estimate, with 5-1 the ceiling. I don't see a way they beat VT, but everyone else they have on their schedule is beatable.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden makes ~ $5 Million a year to broadcast. No way he is going back into coaching.

That's why he hasn't so far, but that could be an iffy situation now.

ESPN isn't on solid financial ground and depending on the length of Gruden's
contract they could attempt to lower costs. Somewhere in his mind he has to
be thinking about that.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to play defense in the SEC, not sure Kelly would understand that, he hasn't anywhere else he's been.

Maybe 3 years ago I'd agree with that, but today, not really as long as you're not playing Bama.

"SEC Defense" is dead.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, the SEC West isn't much better. Every team except Alabama and Miss State has lost at least one OOC game. At least the SEC East represented the SEC somewhat well OOC: South Carolina > NC State, Tenn > Ga Tech, Georgia > Notre Dame, Vandy > Kansas State.

SEC east>SEC west this season

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Candle is who they will end up with after talking about a shit ton of other people and failing.

And I really have no idea who Jason Candle is.