• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hasn't Tennessee tried to hire Gruden twice?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And failed both times? And made two bargin bin hires? But this time it will happen? Don't let logic get in the way, carry on...

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not realistically sure who they could hire at this point. There doesn't seem to be many options among the G5 candidates, but they've gone that way the last 2 times and it's failed pretty miserably. Can they pull off getting an up and comer at a current G5 school? Do they try and get an NFL assistant? Do they try and get somebody out of the booth(that isn't Gruden)? Ken Niumatalolo is a fantastic coach, but would Tennessee be willing to run the triple option? I don't see why more power programs don't go that route, especially when you're in a recruiting hot bed and can get good defensive players. Paul Johnson has been really good at Ga Tech and they certainly don't recruit near the level Tennessee has the potential too.

Niumatalolo would be a fantastic hire at Nebraska IMO.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never understood the infatuation with hiring Gruden, I didn't understand it 6 years ago when his name starts being dropped for every major CFB opening and I don't understand it now when he's been out of coaching for 10 years.

The only benefit to him getting a coaching job is it would get him off MNF and I don't need to hear about the Banana Y Split.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not realistically sure who they could hire at this point. There doesn't seem to be many options among the G5 candidates, but they've gone that way the last 2 times and it's failed pretty miserably. Can they pull off getting an up and comer at a current G5 school? Do they try and get an NFL assistant? Do they try and get somebody out of the booth(that isn't Gruden)? Ken Niumatalolo is a fantastic coach, but would Tennessee be willing to run the triple option? I don't see why more power programs don't go that route, especially when you're in a recruiting hot bed and can get good defensive players. Paul Johnson has been really good at Ga Tech and they certainly don't recruit near the level Tennessee has the potential too.

Niumatalolo would be a fantastic hire at Nebraska IMO.
Is he originally from VA? I was under the impression that was why he left BYU

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never understood the infatuation with hiring Gruden, I didn't understand it 6 years ago when his name starts being dropped for every major CFB opening and I don't understand it now when he's been out of coaching for 10 years.

The only benefit to him getting a coaching job is it would get him off MNF and I don't need to hear about the Banana Y Split.
Personally, I don't see him coaching again but if he did, its the NFL or bust.

That being said I admit that I don't have a dog in the race, but at this point what does TN have to lose? Don't go for a name..find a young coach at a lower tier school and let him reinvent the program.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TN has the potential to be a great program. Great fanbase, great facilities, and there is certainly plenty of talent to go 'round in the areas they recruit. Butch shot his wad pretty quick and its only going to go down from here.

A friend of mine (A UT grad) pointed out something interesting a few weeks ago. The Vols have always had a phenomenal track program which also attracted speed athletes. The track program isn't what it used to be either. Could there be a correlation? Possibly. But that aside, Butch isn't your guy

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhhh shit! Yes you are right

Even he would be a fantastic hire. But not sure he'd leave UVA after two years. He's got them going in the right direction, might have a chance to win the ACC Coastal. Not saying they will but schedule sets up nicely for them.

Last edited:

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just go Les Miles, time for the splashy hire.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even he would be a fantastic hire. But not sure he'd leave UVA after two years. He's got them going in the right direction, might have a chance to win the ACC Coastal. Not saying they will but schedule sets up nicely for them.
No chance they come close to winning the Coastal. As far as their schedule goes, they could easily lose all their remaining games. Also, Broco has really struggled to recruit - which won't fly at any program serious about football.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance they come close to winning the Coastal. As far as their schedule goes, they could easily lose all their remaining games. Also, Broco has really struggled to recruit - which won't fly at any program serious about football.

It wouldn't surprise if they went 4-0 in their next 4 games. They play 3 of the 4 worst teams in the league and get Ga. Tech at home(which will admittedly be a tough game)

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't surprise if they went 4-0 in their next 4 games. They play 3 of the 4 worst teams in the league and get Ga. Tech at home(which will admittedly be a tough game)

That's pretty kind. They've won games, but not convincingly. I think they have easily 4, probably 5 losses left on their schedule.

Admittedly much better than I would have expected though. I was expecting a 2-3 win season

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And failed both times? And made two bargin bin hires? But this time it will happen? Don't let logic get in the way, carry on...

He ain't walking through that door.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty kind. They've won games, but not convincingly. I think they have easily 4, probably 5 losses left on their schedule.

Admittedly much better than I would have expected though. I was expecting a 2-3 win season

Winning at Boise State the way they did was impressive. I know it's not a vintage Boise State team, but they should have beaten Wazzu and did beat San Diego State on the road. My guess would be that they go 2-2 in the next 4, but even then they'd be sitting at 7-3 and be a good surprise. But like I said it wouldn't surprise me to see them go 4-0, if BC can win at L'ville UVA certainly can, and if Ga. Tech can lose to Tennessee they can certainly lose to UVA on the road.

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TN has the potential to be a great program. Great fanbase, great facilities, and there is certainly plenty of talent to go 'round in the areas they recruit. Butch shot his wad pretty quick and its only going to go down from here.

A friend of mine (A UT grad) pointed out something interesting a few weeks ago. The Vols have always had a phenomenal track program which also attracted speed athletes. The track program isn't what it used to be either. Could there be a correlation? Possibly. But that aside, Butch isn't your guy

Keep in mind that during the Derek Dooley era at UT, his best win (arguably) was against Butch Jones and the Bearcats.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But next to none in state, and they talent they have they can't keep home.