• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest Female Vocalists

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely agree with Ann Wilson, the best in my book

But some modern girls who can sing...

Adele

Lady Gaga

Jennifer Nettles

oh, and check this chick out (Cristina Ramos)

I love Jennifer Nettles and actually have 2 CDs from when they were a trio. I got to see Sugarland/ Little Big Town in concert when LBT was on their first tour. Stay is one of the best songs/videos in country music in a long time IMHO.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Jennifer Nettles and actually have 2 CDs from when they were a trio. I got to see Sugarland/ Little Big Town in concert when LBT was on their first tour. Stay is one of the best songs/videos in country music in a long time IMHO.

she is amazing.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
she is amazing.

Agreed. Knee surgeries and age have curtailed my traveling but I used to love going to Nashville. We would go to the Opry of course but some of the best music to enjoy was the artists trying to get a break playing the crowd in the front room of Tootsies during the week.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not put much stock into ranking sites or even the professional critics. Musical taste is subjective and I like to think that I am a bit eclectic in my taste. I own some of everything from opera to bluegrass.

Here's another recommendation for you then. Heidi Parviainen was the original lead operatic vocalist for the Finnish symphonic metal band Amberian Dawn 2006-1012. She did four albums with the band and there is some spectacular stuff in there. After she split with the band they re-did a lot of their past songs with the new vocalist (who I thought was nothing special).

Search YouTube for Amberian Dawn and sample some songs. Here are some personal favorites that are a good variety to sample:
  • Passing Bells
  • City of Corruption
  • Face of the Maiden
  • Willow of Tears
  • Arctica
  • Wings Are My Eyes
  • River of Tuoni
  • Field of Serpents
(and a lot more)

Note: Sample from the following albums:
  • River of Tuoni (2008)
  • The Clouds of Northland Thunder (2009)
  • End of Eden (2010)
  • Circus Black (2012)
Re-Evolution (2013) was a remake of those original songs with the new vocalist.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another recommendation for you then. Heidi Parviainen was the original lead operatic vocalist for the Finnish symphonic metal band Amberian Dawn 2006-1012. She did four albums with the band and there is some spectacular stuff in there. After she split with the band they re-did a lot of their past songs with the new vocalist (who I thought was nothing special).

Search YouTube for Amberian Dawn and sample some songs. Here are some personal favorites that are a good variety to sample:
  • Passing Bells
  • City of Corruption
  • Face of the Maiden
  • Willow of Tears
  • Arctica
  • Wings Are My Eyes
  • River of Tuoni
  • Field of Serpents
(and a lot more)

Note: Sample from the following albums:
  • River of Tuoni (2008)
  • The Clouds of Northland Thunder (2009)
  • End of Eden (2010)
  • Circus Black (2012)
Re-Evolution (2013) was a remake of those original songs with the new vocalist.

Thank you so much!!! I am going to be taking a road trip later today but will definitely check it out over the next few days as I try to recover from the trip. The only thing worse that getting old is not.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nina Simone
Sarah Vaughan
Billie Holiday
Aretha Franklin
Ella Fitzgerald
Carole King
Patsy Cline
Janis Joplin
Gladys Knight
Sarah McLachlin
Joni Mitchell
Bonnie Raitt
Etta James
Sade
Emmy Lou Harris
Sandy Denny
Grace Slick
Joan Baez
Amy Winehouse
Debbie Harry
Maria Callas
Tina Turner
Cass Elliot
Aimee Mann
Flora Purim

Last edited:

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nina Simone
Sarah Vaughan
Billie Holiday
Aretha Franklin
Ella Fitzgerald
Carole King
Patsy Cline
Janis Joplin
Gladys Knight
Sarah McLachlin
Joni Mitchell
Bonnie Raitt
Etta James
Sade
Emmy Lou Harris
Sandy Denny
Grace Slick
Joan Baez
Amy Winehouse
Debbie Harry
Maria Callas
Tina Turner
Cass Elliot
Aimee Mann
Flora Purim

Great list. I see four names that I am not familiar with and only two that I don't really care for their music.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ava Cassidy

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Karen Carpenter.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Christ mutherfukks
Here's your answer.
The little lady with a big voice.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aretha Franklin
Ella Fitzgerald
Carole King
Patsy Cline
Janis Joplin
Gladys Knight
Sarah McLachlin
Joni Mitchell
Bonnie Raitt
Etta James
Sade
Emmy Lou Harris
Sandy Denny
Grace Slick
Joan Baez
Amy Winehouse
Debbie Harry
Maria Callas
Tina Turner
Cass Elliot
Aimee Mann
Flora Purim
AND

The four that I did not recognize are Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughn, Sandy Denny(I should be ashamed on this one) and Aimee Mann. With just a quick glance, I am familiar with some of Nina's and Aimee's work but just flat did not make the connection.

The two that I did not care much for was Amy Winehouse and Sade. This is not a knock on either, as they both were really talented. With Sade, she was making it big at a time when I could not follow music or even sports much at all(mid 80s to early/mid 90s) so I just missed the boat. With Amy Winehouse, I do not exactly know why but what of her music I have heard just grab me by the boo boo. Both of them made really good music and I would not change the radio station if their songs came on ... but I would not buy their CDs. Hope that helped.

Yeah..uhm...That does not make her a great singer, that makes her a great songwriter.

I disagree. Melissa Etherege and Joss Stone sang one hell of a tribute to Janis singing Cry Baby and Piece of My Heart and they sang the shit out of it. But it just did not give the feeling that Janis gave. Janice preformed the songs and IMHO there is a huge difference.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND

The four that I did not recognize are Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughn, Sandy Denny(I should be ashamed on this one) and Aimee Mann. With just a quick glance, I am familiar with some of Nina's and Aimee's work but just flat did not make the connection.

The two that I did not care much for was Amy Winehouse and Sade. This is not a knock on either, as they both were really talented. With Sade, she was making it big at a time when I could not follow music or even sports much at all(mid 80s to early/mid 90s) so I just missed the boat. With Amy Winehouse, I do not exactly know why but what of her music I have heard just grab me by the boo boo. Both of them made really good music and I would not change the radio station if their songs came on ... but I would not buy their CDs. Hope that helped.

I disagree. Melissa Etherege and Joss Stone sang one hell of a tribute to Janis singing Cry Baby and Piece of My Heart and they sang the shit out of it. But it just did not give the feeling that Janis gave. Janice preformed the songs and IMHO there is a huge difference.

I'm glad you like Janis, her music really does nothing for me. That does not mean she is not great.
She still gets airtime...almost 50 years later, so there is obviously immense talent there.