• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Gold Medal Game (Womens) Canada vs USA (shocker I know)

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of...but it was sort of defamatory. I understand the emotional side of it, but I'm never a fan of putting down your opponent, especially following a huge win. Obviously there were extenuating circumstances in that game with the officiating, but sort of a big accusation. Didn't hurt anyone, but far from sportsmanship.

How do you know it wasn't true? And as for putting down your opponent after a huge win, didn't an American tell one of the Canadians to 'dedicate that to your dead father' after the win in 98? I'm not a fan of trash talking but once it starts there's no turning back. I'm sure there are stories from both sides but the animosity wa real - although less so this year.

As for the game, I could only listen on radio, but what great drama. Too bad the refs played a part. That slashing call was brutal, but the Knight penalty was definitely a penalty - just not cross checking. She clearly clips Wickenheiser's skate with her own foot from behind. You can't just ignore that as incidental contact when someone has a potential breakaway. But yeah, gaffs from the refs, could have handed the game to either team. In fact they were about an inch away from handing it to the Americans at the end of regulation.

Great game though. I'd say I hope that tomorrow's game is equally as dramatic, but I'd be lying. I want a 9-1 drubbing with an Ovechtick from Crosby. Kunitz and Orpik with the other goals :)

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recorded the game. Never really gave Women's Olympic hockey much of a chance before when it comes to watching.

I watched the first period and couldn't convince myself to keep watching. Too slow and minor love taps getting called for checking.

Congrats Canada

I agree. Whenever I watch women's hockey I am always surprised that the skill level is as poor as it is. Its a slow sloppy game. I don't want to feel this way, but every time I watch a game I feel the same way.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Whenever I watch women's hockey I am always surprised that the skill level is as poor as it is. Its a slow sloppy game. I don't want to feel this way, but every time I watch a game I feel the same way.

The speed and strength are lacking, but I'm actually quite surprised by the skill level the ladies put on display.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The speed and strength are lacking, but I'm actually quite surprised by the skill level the ladies put on display.

The skill was pretty good; about the only thing they were missing were drop passes, deflection attempts, and somebody doing some really low percentage deke that worked out anyway (which doesn't work because of the no hitting format, by the way).

And I'm of the opinion that given a baseline level of proficiency (which these two teams more than met), a competitive game is enjoyable even if it's not the best in the world.

Do folks not watch college sports because "it's not as good as the pros?" Probably, but that's their loss.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know it wasn't true? And as for putting down your opponent after a huge win, didn't an American tell one of the Canadians to 'dedicate that to your dead father' after the win in 98? I'm not a fan of trash talking but once it starts there's no turning back. I'm sure there are stories from both sides but the animosity wa real - although less so this year.

As for the game, I could only listen on radio, but what great drama. Too bad the refs played a part. That slashing call was brutal, but the Knight penalty was definitely a penalty - just not cross checking. She clearly clips Wickenheiser's skate with her own foot from behind. You can't just ignore that as incidental contact when someone has a potential breakaway. But yeah, gaffs from the refs, could have handed the game to either team. In fact they were about an inch away from handing it to the Americans at the end of regulation.

Great game though. I'd say I hope that tomorrow's game is equally as dramatic, but I'd be lying. I want a 9-1 drubbing with an Ovechtick from Crosby. Kunitz and Orpik with the other goals :)

Everything I've read about the incident (from both American and Canadian sources) has said it was untrue.

Did the Americans really walk on the Canadian flag in 2002?

In one of the most memorable post-game interviews in international hockey history, the CBC pulled Wickenheiser off the ice moments after the Canadians slipped past the U.S. — and the highly questionable officiating from a U.S.-based referee — to win the gold medal at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

“The Americans had our flag on their floor in the dressing room,” she said, spitting fire into the microphone. “And now I want to know if they want us to sign it.”

Did they, though?

“It’s still one of the most common questions that we get asked, because it was such a captivating story,” Botterill said with a smile. “We had conversations within our team, and then also with the Americans.” The answer? “A couple of them said, ‘No: We promise we would never disrespect you in that manner,’” she said. “And then, later, it was found out it was a story that was fabricated for incentive.”

That's from Canada.com on a profile about Wickenheiser prior to these games.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the US on this one. I can see someone fabricating it to get the girls going. I honestly believe the woman thought it was true. I wonder what Wick would say today if asked if she believed it.

Everything I've read about the incident (from both American and Canadian sources) has said it was untrue.

Did the Americans really walk on the Canadian flag in 2002?

In one of the most memorable post-game interviews in international hockey history, the CBC pulled Wickenheiser off the ice moments after the Canadians slipped past the U.S. — and the highly questionable officiating from a U.S.-based referee — to win the gold medal at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

“The Americans had our flag on their floor in the dressing room,” she said, spitting fire into the microphone. “And now I want to know if they want us to sign it.”

Did they, though?

“It’s still one of the most common questions that we get asked, because it was such a captivating story,” Botterill said with a smile. “We had conversations within our team, and then also with the Americans.” The answer? “A couple of them said, ‘No: We promise we would never disrespect you in that manner,’” she said. “And then, later, it was found out it was a story that was fabricated for incentive.”

That's from Canada.com on a profile about Wickenheiser prior to these games.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys really didn't enjoy watching that game, you crazy. I mean, have it your way, but that was incredible. I thought the drop off in skill from the mens was pretty minimal. Good speed, fairly physical considering the rule differences. The biggest difference is shot speed really. The passing isn't quite as crisp either, but these women aren't afforded the same opportunities as men, and there is a physical difference between what men and women can produce athletically. Women's hockey and soccer are some of my favorite sports to watch in general, not just on the women's side.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the US on this one. I can see someone fabricating it to get the girls going. I honestly believe the woman thought it was true. I wonder what Wick would say today if asked if she believed it.

I mean, my first thought on it would be HOW would they ever know that? Did a Canadian spy infiltrate the US locker room to watch their stomping ritual? It's very possible she believed it, but it just soured me on her. Almost like a sore winner.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, my first thought on it would be HOW would they ever know that? Did a Canadian spy infiltrate the US locker room to watch their stomping ritual? It's very possible she believed it, but it just soured me on her. Almost like a sore winner.

think how sore she would be if that father comment was true as if that happened that is player to player and you have to believe that. as for who saw it? trainer? outside security? some staff member not of the US team. I dont blame her as if she really believed it and I was in her shoes I would be pretty pissed as well, its emotion I wouldnt hold it long as that was a moment in a heartbeat of excitement and it was 12 years ago. man time flies

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think how sore she would be if that father comment was true as if that happened that is player to player and you have to believe that. as for who saw it? trainer? outside security? some staff member not of the US team. I dont blame her as if she really believed it and I was in her shoes I would be pretty pissed as well, its emotion I wouldnt hold it long as that was a moment in a heartbeat of excitement and it was 12 years ago. man time flies

I'm not calling the US spotless throughout this rivalry, no way. Just that I find her unlikable, and that was the start of it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gF7KiFj.jpg

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julie Chu will be the American flag bearer for the closing ceremonies. Teared up a bit on that one. *sigh*

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not calling the US spotless throughout this rivalry, no way. Just that I find her unlikable, and that was the start of it.

I agree with you. Im not a huge fan as well. I respect her tremendously but alot of what has occured between the woman in US and Canada since 98 has been some kind of childish.

Julie Chu will be the American flag bearer for the closing ceremonies. Teared up a bit on that one. *sigh*

what is the story behind this?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kQM6WaN.jpg

A Toronto area high school during yesterday's game.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys really didn't enjoy watching that game, you crazy. I mean, have it your way, but that was incredible. I thought the drop off in skill from the mens was pretty minimal. Good speed, fairly physical considering the rule differences. The biggest difference is shot speed really. The passing isn't quite as crisp either, but these women aren't afforded the same opportunities as men, and there is a physical difference between what men and women can produce athletically. Women's hockey and soccer are some of my favorite sports to watch in general, not just on the women's side.

It's not "bad" hockey, but it's a pretty big dropoff. I mean, they lose more than they win against male midget teams. And those are just regular old local midget teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. Im not a huge fan as well. I respect her tremendously but alot of what has occured between the woman in US and Canada since 98 has been some kind of childish.

what is the story behind this?

As far as I can tell from watching NBC it has something to do with Bounty paper towels :laugh3: