• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Beijing Winter Olympics thread

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article from Time magazine about the sporting culture in Norway...

Ovrebo says that in Norway, organized youth sports teams cannot keep score until they are 13. “We want to leave the kids alone,” says Ovrebo. “We want them to play. We want them to develop, and be focused on social skills. They learn a lot from sports. They learn a lot from playing. They learn a lot from not being anxious. They learn a lot from not being counted. They learn a lot from not being judged. And they feel better. And they tend to stay on for longer.”

Norway has other sports development quirks. Trainers don’t tell athletes how much they weigh. “It’s very dangerous,” says Ovrebo. “They can develop eating disorders.” Olympic athletes don’t receive prize money or bonuses from their federations. “We think prize money turns people into something they shouldn’t be,” says Ovrebo.

Norway also wants high-character performers on its teams. “No jerks,” says Ovrebo.

"Participation trophies make losers"

Population of Norway is roughly that of Wisconsin. Or a third of NYC.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a feeling a lot of people are going to start second-guessing getting their shot

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a feeling a lot of people are going to start second-guessing getting their shot
hamilton-throw.gif

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hilarious how some people think it's a sign of being a strong man by ignoring rules put in place by a private business that chooses to follow current health guidelines. Also hilarious how quickly people choose to use the phrase fascist state. Ski hills have the right to revoke your privilege of skiing for a variety of reasons, most likely because the person is being an asshat.
Didn't they claim he had an exemption? And sure, the private business can run their business anyway they want, I'm sure they are allowed to ban blacks as well, right? Who put the idea in that businesses mind that it was important enough to require masks? They did it with no encouragement from the Government, right? No fear mongering goes on up in Canada?

And no, I don't quickly use the term Fascist state. But all you have to do is watch the news to see that Trudeau is Fascist wannabe Dictator.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LET'S GO FIN-LAND

*clap*clap*clapclapclap^

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a first for me in stating.

Lets go Finland.
I am hoping that the Finnish coach wins and feels so happy that he agrees to come to the States and coaches the Jackets.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this really the last event of the Olympics?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ironic part is that he's clearly smart enough to wear a helmet to protect the most important part of his body while at the same time not smart enough to wear something that allows him to partake in the activity. The resort spells out what happened pretty clearly below:

FL_mL_SXEAQUIE6
So I didn't know that the place posted publicly that there would not any medical exceptions allowed, that changes my view some, I responded too strongly. I see we're being asked to avoid this discussion, so I'll just conclude by saying, my guess is it's a case of accumulated frustration. This guy may be just generally stupid, that's possible, but this accumulated frustration is manifesting all over, with rising violent crimes and protests turned violent, depression is way up, same with suicides and alcohol abuse and domestic abuse and drug use, and incidents like this one, on planes, in airports, in restaurants and grocery stores, and just out and about. An army of Karen's going around verbally and sometimes physically assaulting others, etc.. So my guess is this guy just chose to vent his frustration at a really dumb and undefendable time. I jumped to defend him too quickly, sorry about that, it's probably my frustration coming across as well? And not so much because I felt he specifically deserved to be defended, but in general, in principle, imo we need to move on with our lives and leave this sh1t in the past or there will be many more incidents like this one, some on much larger scales, like what is going on with the Trucker Convoy/Protest.

Let's get back to living normal lives and only arguing about sports. Wouldn't that be nice?

So why is everyone cheering for Finland? I did cheer for the Finnish Women's team in the Bronze Medal game, because of one of it's players. I'll guess because unless you are Russian, you'd have no reason to cheer for them?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I didn't know that the place posted publicly that there would not any medical exceptions allowed, that changes my view some, I responded too strongly. I see we're being asked to avoid this discussion, so I'll just conclude by saying, my guess is it's a case of accumulated frustration. This guy may be just generally stupid, that's possible, but this accumulated frustration is manifesting all over, with rising violent crimes and protests turned violent, depression is way up, same with suicides and alcohol abuse and domestic abuse and drug use, and incidents like this one, on planes, in airports, in restaurants and grocery stores, and just out and about. An army of Karen's going around verbally and sometimes physically assaulting others, etc.. So my guess is this guy just chose to vent his frustration at a really dumb and undefendable time. I jumped to defend him too quickly, sorry about that, it's probably my frustration coming across as well? And not so much because I felt he specifically deserved to be defended, but in general, in principle, imo we need to move on with our lives and leave this sh1t in the past or there will be many more incidents like this one, some on much larger scales, like what is going on with the Trucker Convoy/Protest.

Let's get back to living normal lives and only arguing about sports. Wouldn't that be nice?

So why is everyone cheering for Finland? I did cheer for the Finnish Women's team in the Bronze Medal game, because of one of it's players.

Figured this was appropriate for the hockey forum.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why is everyone cheering for Finland? I did cheer for the Finnish Women's team in the Bronze Medal game, because of one of it's players. I'll guess because unless you are Russian, you'd have no reason to cheer for them?
Not Russia.

Russia or its iterations have won 13 Hockey medals, 9 of them gold.

As the announcers stated, with my edit, "very impressive [doping]"

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Canada, Minnesota is like a Mini Me version of Canada in many ways, lol. #1, we love our hockey! It's freezing cold much of the year. We have Minnesota Nice, and I've heard Canadiens are one of the nicest and most law abiding countries out there.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Russia.

Russia or its iterations have won 13 Hockey medals, 9 of them gold.

As the announcers stated, with my edit, "very impressive [doping]"
Only things I like about Russia is it's Vodka and it's women!

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m all in on Russia. Due to gambling responsibilities lol

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really like others stated. Cheering for a team other than Russia and seeing a team (Finland) win their first Gold in Hockey.