• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gme #7- Virginia Tech at Wake Forest

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My first rant of the week: what washingon post articles do to my iPhone :L

When the topic of Wake Forest running back Josh Harris came up Tuesday during his news conference with reporters, Virginia Tech safety Antone Exum barely flinched. Harris, you’ll remember, torched the Hokies for 241 rushing yards, including an 87-yard touchdown run, when Virginia Tech beat Wake Forest, 52-21, a year ago. It was the most yards an opposing running back has ever had against a Virginia Tech defense, and the Hokies haven’t forgotten about it.

“We have it on our mind. That won’t happen again this year,” Exum said.

What Exum may not realize, however, is that Harris’s status is in doubt for Saturday’s game. He suffered a hamstring injury during the third quarter of the Demon Deacons’s 35-30 upset over Florida State after gaining a season-high 136 yards. Coach Jim Grobe said Wednesday during the ACC’s weekly teleconference that Harris practiced on Tuesday, but the hamstring was so tight, “we really couldn’t do much with him.”

“I think our trainer kind of feels like by Saturday he’ll be full speed and ready to go,” Grobe said. “My problem is if he can’t practice, are you gonna be able to play well on Saturday, and that’s the key. .***8201;.***8201;. If you haven’t gotten any practice time, it’s hard to go and play well. We want to get Josh healthy, certainly, but he needs to get some reps if he wants to play Saturday.”

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gayle won't be going to Wake Forest per Beamerball twitter. That stinks.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A poster on TSL is saying JGW is done for the year with something called a Lisfranc sprain. Maybe 46 can fill us in as to what exactly that is.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
A poster on TSL is saying JGW is done for the year with something called a Lisfranc sprain. Maybe 46 can fill us in as to what exactly that is.

Not 46 but i think that is the Joint in the middle of the foot.

EDIT: here ya go.

Lisfranc injuries involve the midfoot area. The Lisfranc joints are between the first metatarsal, second metarsal, medial cuneiform and intermediate cuneiform. The Lisfranc complex involves all of the tarsometatarsal joints. There is also a Lisfranc ligament that runs on the bottom of the medial cuneiform to the second metatarsal base. Lisfranc injuries, to the midfoot, can include sprains, dislocations, fractures (broken bones) or all of the above. Two very serious complications can be seen with Lisfranc injuries: injuries to the dorsalis pedis artery and compartment syndrome. These are both medical emergencies and need surgery right away.

EDIT2: and here is your confirmation

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/recaps/20111013aaa.html

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man this sucks. Some dudes need to step up big now. Going out on a limb and saying McCray has a big game.

I think VT should run the ball, a ton. Shorten the game and keep giving the defense some rest. Gotta keep the Wake offense on the sidelines along with our depleted defense.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man this sucks. Some dudes need to step up big now. Going out on a limb and saying McCray has a big game.

I think VT should run the ball, a ton. Shorten the game and keep giving the defense some rest. Gotta keep the Wake offense on the sidelines along with our depleted defense.
Unless he switches side ZM will still be behind Collins...

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may get to see the other side since the #2 will be the #1 there now and ZM is probably better than the #3. He will get his share of snaps either way. The offense will likely throw any extra help at Collins and that will wear him down. Hopkins will need to be disruptive up the middle along with the linebackers blitzing.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries mount for Virginia Tech’s defense heading into Wake Forest game - Hokies Journal - The Washington Post

Article from yesterday and we have had some updates since but gives you an idea. Interesting facts in there too:

Though the Hurricanes gashed Virginia Tech***8217;s run defense in the second half, Wiles said the 219-pound Wilson actually held up pretty well. It***8217;s all the more impressive after Wilson admitted Tuesday that the stomach virus he played through forced him to make three separate trips to the bathroom to, well, you can put two and two together.

Amazed that our starting DE this week weighs 219. That is smaller than a lot of safeties.

Tweedy's biggest asset is his speed; he said Tuesday he runs a 4.33-second 40-yard-dash

That may be a big help in pass coverage from the Whip position.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps this JGW injury could be another Rivers/Taylor situation in which an injury to an upper classmen paves the way for the younger guy who actually turns out to be better. Maybe Tweedy or Dew will break out. Also, would it really hurt to have a bigger LB at the position? If its not that big of an adjustment, maybe toss out Tyler or Clark for a few snaps.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Perhaps this JGW injury could be another Rivers/Taylor situation in which an injury to an upper classmen paves the way for the younger guy who actually turns out to be better. Maybe Tweedy or Dew will break out. Also, would it really hurt to have a bigger LB at the position? If its not that big of an adjustment, maybe toss out Tyler or Clark for a few snaps.

Whip is expected to play a lot of coverage and those guys just dont have the speed or hips most likely. Wiley Brown has a lot of time in the system, i wouldnt be surprised if he is the backup over Dew.

Wake runs the spread anyway, right? if so i'd say we see primarily nickel.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately , as I understand it, Whip is more of a defensive back position than a linebacker position in the Hokie defense (though this may have changed some with Brown coaching), so a current linebacker moving there would take some time. I could see Chase Williams getting a look in the offseason if JGW does not heal up well. The biggest dropoff to Tweedy will be size. He is 20 pounds lighter than JGW and it shows when he plays in run support. He gets swallowed up. On the plus side, he will be helpful in pass support and running down plays from the backside because he is a missile. He is also as sure of a tackler as we have on the team. We run a lot of plays towards the whip, so being a sure tackler is key. It may take a game or two for Tweedy to adapt and he may make some mistakes early on, but I think that he will end up excelling there.

Also, much like we used the Nickel last year to protect JGW in the passing downs, we may see a move back to the old 46 that Bud ran pre-2004 for short yardage plays or against run stack teams. A second quicker backer (Clark, Beiro) may come on the field in place of the Whip. I also expect to see some more Nickle as the season progresses.

Just some thoughts.....

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately , as I understand it, Whip is more of a defensive back position than a linebacker position in the Hokie defense (though this may have changed some with Brown coaching), so a current linebacker moving there would take some time. I could see Chase Williams getting a look in the offseason if JGW does not heal up well. The biggest dropoff to Tweedy will be size. He is 20 pounds lighter than JGW and it shows when he plays in run support. He gets swallowed up. On the plus side, he will be helpful in pass support and running down plays from the backside because he is a missile. He is also as sure of a tackler as we have on the team. We run a lot of plays towards the whip, so being a sure tackler is key. It may take a game or two for Tweedy to adapt and he may make some mistakes early on, but I think that he will end up excelling there.

Also, much like we used the Nickel last year to protect JGW in the passing downs, we may see a move back to the old 46 that Bud ran pre-2004 for short yardage plays or against run stack teams. A second quicker backer (Clark, Beiro) may come on the field in place of the Whip. I also expect to see some more Nickle as the season progresses.

Just some thoughts.....

Edit: NOt Beiro, Jack Tyler....