• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gme #7- Virginia Tech at Wake Forest

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great game and win against Miami last week. The question now is can the offense keep a rhythm and can we get some help on the defensive line.

Ready... Set... GOOO

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wake has been pretty good this year and while their homefield advantage isn't a factor, their team is. They just beat FSU in a game they controlled from the start all the way through. Should be a challenge for us and we can't have another Clemson or ECU type game or we'll come away with an L.

The offense needs to keep the rhythm from the Miami game and continue to finish drives, field goals won't cut it. The defense needs to rebound from a lackluster performance, especially in the running game.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a little worried because of how well Wake is playing and how we haven't been incredibly consistent so far. On the other hand, they barely beat an FSU team that turned the ball over 5 times. When that happens, it isn't normally a close game

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And plus FSU had over 100 yards of penalties. With that said, we still need to play extremely well to win. I'm worried about our defense, especially with all the injuries. Josh Harris ate us alive last year, I'm sure he is chomping at the bit. Although I did read on a Wake board that he is somewhat slowed right now by a slight hamstring injury.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not sure if its a mis-print or not but today Roanoke Times shows the game to be aired on ESPNU. It was originally set for ESPN3 (internet only).

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
damn it! I figured as much but was hopeful that someone realized a 5-1 v/s 4-1 matchup should be on TV.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will it not be picked up by WSLS or any other local stations?

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game has me terrified. Miami last week scored a TD on their final 5 possessions, if you exclude the last one when they got the ball with 47 seconds left. That's unheard of against VT. Maybe losing A Hopkins and JGW is worse than we thought. Not only does Wake have Josh Harris who gashed us for 241 yards on just 20 carrries last year, but now they have the #3 passing offense in the ACC. Will VT be able to stop them?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This game has me terrified. Miami last week scored a TD on their final 5 possessions, if you exclude the last one when they got the ball with 47 seconds left. That's unheard of against VT. Maybe losing A Hopkins and JGW is worse than we thought. Not only does Wake have Josh Harris who gashed us for 241 yards on just 20 carrries last year, but now they have the #3 passing offense in the ACC. Will VT be able to stop them?

I think so. We should have Gayle back (although he may be limited) and will be able to gameplan around our injuries a little more this week. We have been playing a lot of defensive sets (3 man front, nickel, etc) so i think Bud will do a good job of getting the best guys on the field.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so. We should have Gayle back (although he may be limited) and will be able to gameplan around our injuries a little more this week. We have been playing a lot of defensive sets (3 man front, nickel, etc) so i think Bud will do a good job of getting the best guys on the field.

Is Gayle going to be back? We'll need every big body we can put out there on the DL. Isn't Taylor like 250 lbs? And Prince was moved to OL? Can Acree do ANY on D to help? Just eating up space would've helped a bit on some of those long Harris runs. Our front four, whomever they might be come kickoff, are going to need to have a much better game this week for us to win.

Amazing how things change... at the start of the season FSU was all but crowned as the ACC Champ and officially "back". Now? Klempson is the clear Atlantic favorite and FSU is as good as tire bowled. And Wake? They scare me more than UNC at this point. I would've punched myself in the face if I heard me say that six weeks ago.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Gayle going to be back? We'll need every big body we can put out there on the DL. Isn't Taylor like 250 lbs? And Prince was moved to OL? Can Acree do ANY on D to help? Just eating up space would've helped a bit on some of those long Harris runs. Our front four, whomever they might be come kickoff, are going to need to have a much better game this week for us to win.

Amazing how things change... at the start of the season FSU was all but crowned as the ACC Champ and officially "back". Now? Klempson is the clear Atlantic favorite and FSU is as good as tire bowled. And Wake? They scare me more than UNC at this point. I would've punched myself in the face if I heard me say that six weeks ago.

Gayle says that he will be back. Wilson is 220 soaking wet. Marshall is 255-260. Maddy should also be back this week.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have to do some digging before I comment too much on this but I have a feeling Miami has a much bigger and better Oline than Wake. Wake will be better coached and fundamental which will be a challenge in itself. If we can get a couple of guys healthy on the d line it will help a lot but guys like Maddy will need to step up early. Hopefully our offense will be able to move the ball on the ground to tire their defense and keep ours rested since we are thin. I think this will be the biggest key of the game. I love 60yard TD passes as much as the next guy but 12 5 yard runs in a drive a few times will have their defense exhausted at the end of the game. That will also open up the passing game when they tire and cheat up and allow us to put the points on the board.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have to do some digging before I comment too much on this but I have a feeling Miami has a much bigger and better Oline than Wake. Wake will be better coached and fundamental which will be a challenge in itself. If we can get a couple of guys healthy on the d line it will help a lot but guys like Maddy will need to step up early. Hopefully our offense will be able to move the ball on the ground to tire their defense and keep ours rested since we are thin. I think this will be the biggest key of the game. I love 60yard TD passes as much as the next guy but 12 5 yard runs in a drive a few times will have their defense exhausted at the end of the game. That will also open up the passing game when they tire and cheat up and allow us to put the points on the board.

i may be wrong, but i think i remember seeing a graphic during the miami game saying their lightest OL was something like 305...a commentator even referred to them as being an NFL sized OL, FWIW

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Wakes rivals page shows the OL to be between 305-320#'s up front. Prob dont have the skill or athleticsm of a Miami but those are still some big ol' boys.

College Player Database - Depth Chart

Edit also looks like all 4 guards and tackles are SR's and the center a junior.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly im not concerned about this game whatsoever. we have always matched up really well against wake even when they were fairly successful 4 or 5 years ago. i forsee a sizable victory on saturday. 38-13 hokies.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I havnt seen anymore than highlights of WF, but id expect they will be one of the better coached teams VT will see this season and wont be the type of team to beat themselves.They have a big OL and a good RB playing against our depleted DL, a whip that isnt great in run support, and a backer that was non existent against Miami. I honestly expect for them to hit a few big runs and score some points. IMO the key to this game will be the play of our offense. We cant expect to duplicate the miami game, but i think we will need to be better than we were against ECU or Clemson. Right now i'd say VT 34 WF 24 but that could change depending on how much we plan on playing Gayle.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
some quotes from coach grobe about VT:

On the upcoming game against Virginia Tech...
"Virginia Tech was obviously picked to be really good in the preseason, and here we are getting ready to play them and they are really good. They have a quarterback who is playing good right now and is probably bigger than any of our defensive linemen at 6-6, 254 lbs. or whatever Logan (Thomas) is right now. (They have) one of the best running backs in the country and a corps of receivers that are really talented, a really good offensive line and a defense that continues to play good football. Of course Coach Beamer does a good job with special teams, so we have a big challenge on our hands this Saturday, no question."

On the motivation from the loss to Virginia Tech last season...
"We always say that we're a different team this year, but the fact is that they beat us by 31 last year and we have a lot to prove. We have a chip on our shoulder and we hope to go out there and prove something this week. Hopefully we'll have a much different outcome this season."

On facing Virginia Tech's offense...
"Every aspect of their offense is great. They have a great quarterback, great running back and a huge offensive line. They're fast and they're physical, so we definitely have our work cut out for us. We have a lot of guys in the film room right now studying our opponent to see if there are any tendencies that we can work on. They're a very good team that will be coming into town."

On Virginia Tech's strong defense...
"Actually, I haven't really had a chance to see their defense. I'm sure that they are very good, so we just have to keep doing the same things that we've been doing. We have to do everything that we can do, so when we have the opportunity to make plays then we'll be able to make them."

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly im not concerned about this game whatsoever. we have always matched up really well against wake even when they were fairly successful 4 or 5 years ago. i forsee a sizable victory on saturday. 38-13 hokies.

I hope you're right, but honestly we thought the same thing about Clemson, too. I just think this team is too inconsistent to take anything for granted. Hopefully they turned a corner on O last week. Just hope the D can get shored up and get some healthy bodies in there. Hopefully they learned some things from last week's game that they can get correct as well.