• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Give me your top 10 most likely

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i loved ok st to start the yr but the more i watch them the more i dislike them. they depend too much on drawing fouls. if the refs let the teams play, ok st is screwed imo. that being said UConn road this strategy to a title.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And where are they in opponents' possessions or FG attempts per game? None of those stats really matter in isolation.
I disagree. FG% defense is a very important stat. 'Assist to Turnover' and 'Coach' are the other 2 big factors but I didn't look up the assist to turnover one and Coach is pretty obvious.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like reading Luke Winn from SI. He does a lot with stats and is able to write about things that seem important for the game and provide stats for his rankings. Here are his top 8 right now.

Arizona
Wisconsin
Syracuse
Kentucky
Kansas
Florida
Iowa State
Michigan State

And a link: The Magic Eight: One of these teams will win the NCAA tournament - College Basketball - Luke Winn - SI.com

hey jonvi as I am watching the Harrison twins at the end of this arkansas game (and seeing their whiny faces as things don't necessarily go their way), it made me think about something you said earlier today about how NCAA games are played on a neutral floor so the whole lack of a "true road game" thing for Syracuse doesn't matter as much. I am going to have to completely disagree with that. I think what a true road game shows is how a player/team handles extenuating circumstances, which is what the NCAA tourney games are all about. The pressure a player feels during a tough road game is the only thing that can truly match what an NCAA tourney game would feel like (not so much from the crowd, but from the situation). A neutral court game in November/December (and I am only using Maui as an example, not trying to say anything about you guys this year) has nowhere near the type of feel that an NCAA tourney game has, and so to compare them doesn't really seem appropriate.

Just my two cents.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey jonvi as I am watching the Harrison twins at the end of this arkansas game (and seeing their whiny faces as things don't necessarily go their way), it made me think about something you said earlier today about how NCAA games are played on a neutral floor so the whole lack of a "true road game" thing for Syracuse doesn't matter as much. I am going to have to completely disagree with that. I think what a true road game shows is how a player/team handles extenuating circumstances, which is what the NCAA tourney games are all about. The pressure a player feels during a tough road game is the only thing that can truly match what an NCAA tourney game would feel like (not so much from the crowd, but from the situation). A neutral court game in November/December (and I am only using Maui as an example, not trying to say anything about you guys this year) has nowhere near the type of feel that an NCAA tourney game has, and so to compare them doesn't really seem appropriate.

Just my two cents.

Excellent point dc :suds:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just my two cents.

I like your two cents....you are correct.

Before I get into the weeds....the point I was trying to make were two things. One was SU was going to get those quality road games in conference play...even told everyone to be patient, those games were coming. So I do acknowledge the need to play up versus a weak schedule where a team is not tested.

Next point was to suggest SU hasn't been tested was either stupid or a troll's lie as SU has played teams like Minnesota, Baylor and California on neutral courts. All three have players who will be drafted in the NBA on their rosters.

Now into the nuts and bolts about me saying the importance of road games is being overstated...

I think what a true road game shows is how a player/team handles extenuating circumstances, which is what the NCAA tourney games are all about.

I agree up to the part of which is what the NCAA tourney games are all about. In the tournament, teams are not playing at home and very few teams travel with enough of a crowd to compare to the noise level these kids see and experience on the road. There will be some locals that are fans of a team that will show up and there will be some fans that actually travel. But until the final four, the majority of the fans will catch the games on CBS at home.

IMO...what I think are the biggest factors in putting a player/team off their game in March are the interviews...the media time required between games that change a player or teams routine. And the mental aspect of knowing every game is one and done for the season.

A neutral court game in November/December (and I am only using Maui as an example, not trying to say anything about you guys this year) has nowhere near the type of feel that an NCAA tourney game has, and so to compare them doesn't really seem appropriate.

I agree 100%. I didn't mean to suggest a neutral game was just as tough as a road game. And I agree a preseason tournament will not have the full feel of the NCAA tournament.

But an away preseason tournament is a very good indicator of a team’s metal as each game is against tougher competition and as the team advances, the next games become more and more important.

So IMO preseason tournaments, especially one like the Maui tournament that draws the Baylor’s and California's do test and stress every team to a great extent. They are demanding and the teams that advance are demonstrating the level of athletics and emotional stability required to navigate the dance.

Now full circle...IMO...SU has been tested to a good extent. And by the time the regular season is through and the ACC tournament is trough...which will all be played down south someplace....SU will have been tested.

I was not saying road games do not require a team to get to the next level. I was more stating SU has experienced plenty to this point in the season. Suggesting that SU hadn't been tested to date IMO is emphatically incorrect. Which is what a couple of posters I responded to were saying. And also IMO road games are not the end all in pushing a team to a higher level. An away, quality preseason tournament pushes a team also.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your two cents....you are correct.

Before I get into the weeds....the point I was trying to make were two things. One was SU was going to get those quality road games in conference play...even told everyone to be patient, those games were coming. So I do acknowledge the need to play up versus a weak schedule where a team is not tested.

Next point was to suggest SU hasn't been tested was either stupid or a troll's lie as SU has played teams like Minnesota, Baylor and California on neutral courts. All three have players who will be drafted in the NBA on their rosters.

Now into the nuts and bolts about me saying the importance of road games is being overstated...

I think what a true road game shows is how a player/team handles extenuating circumstances, which is what the NCAA tourney games are all about.

I agree up to the part of which is what the NCAA tourney games are all about. In the tournament, teams are not playing at home and very few teams travel with enough of a crowd to compare to the noise level these kids see and experience on the road. There will be some locals that are fans of a team that will show up and there will be some fans that actually travel. But until the final four, the majority of the fans will catch the games on CBS at home.

IMO...what I think are the biggest factors in putting a player/team off their game in March are the interviews...the media time required between games that change a player or teams routine. And the mental aspect of knowing every game is one and done for the season.

A neutral court game in November/December (and I am only using Maui as an example, not trying to say anything about you guys this year) has nowhere near the type of feel that an NCAA tourney game has, and so to compare them doesn't really seem appropriate.

I agree 100%. I didn't mean to suggest a neutral game was just as tough as a road game. And I agree a preseason tournament will not have the full feel of the NCAA tournament.

But an away preseason tournament is a very good indicator of a team’s metal as each game is against tougher competition and as the team advances, the next games become more and more important.

So IMO preseason tournaments, especially one like the Maui tournament that draws the Baylor’s and California's do test and stress every team to a great extent. They are demanding and the teams that advance are demonstrating the level of athletics and emotional stability required to navigate the dance.

Now full circle...IMO...SU has been tested to a good extent. And by the time the regular season is through and the ACC tournament is trough...which will all be played down south someplace....SU will have been tested.

I was not saying road games do not require a team to get to the next level. I was more stating SU has experienced plenty to this point in the season. Suggesting that SU hadn't been tested to date IMO is emphatically incorrect. Which is what a couple of posters I responded to were saying. And also IMO road games are not the end all in pushing a team to a higher level. An away, quality preseason tournament pushes a team also.

well said jonvi, as per usual. and you know I am not one of the people who thinks SU has been untested OVERALL, just not quite on the road YET.

After watching Pitt again last night, I am convinced that you will beat them by 10+ on Saturday. They are not very good.

BUT I also said that Wiskey would kill Indiana, and we all know how THAT turned out...yup, I'm a moron

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well said jonvi, as per usual. and you know I am not one of the people who thinks SU has been untested OVERALL, just not quite on the road YET.

After watching Pitt again last night, I am convinced that you will beat them by 10+ on Saturday. They are not very good.

BUT I also said that Wiskey would kill Indiana, and we all know how THAT turned out...yup, I'm a moron

Thanks...and yes...it wasn't you I initially responded to. I think john may have spun up a couple of guys and the dis on SU and SU fans might not have been well thought out. :suds: I just had to wave the SU flag.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks...and yes...it wasn't you I initially responded to. I think john may have spun up a couple of guys and the dis on SU and SU fans might not have been well thought out. :suds: I just had to wave the SU flag.

haha slapdick tends to do that.

p.s. thank you trolly for giving john the slapdick nickname, it really is the perfect way to describe that guy.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you folks who think Kentucky is done are sadly mistaken. Losing to Arkansas away is not unusual. Arkansas is a very good team at home and mediocre away. I was not surprised to see Kentucky lose there, however on a neutral court; Arkansas loses by at least 10. The Gators were very fortunate to squeak out a win there last week, however the Gator defense and pressure on the ball is as good as any team and away, it's defense that wins those games. Offenses do not travel well and a team like Arkansas can beat anybody on their home court. Kentucky still has a couple of months of play to get those freshmen up to speed and IMO, they will be tough come March.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you folks who think Kentucky is done are sadly mistaken. Losing to Arkansas away is not unusual. Arkansas is a very good team at home and mediocre away. I was not surprised to see Kentucky lose there, however on a neutral court; Arkansas loses by at least 10. The Gators were very fortunate to squeak out a win there last week, however the Gator defense and pressure on the ball is as good as any team and away, it's defense that wins those games. Offenses do not travel well and a team like Arkansas can beat anybody on their home court. Kentucky still has a couple of months of play to get those freshmen up to speed and IMO, they will be tough come March.

who thinks Kentucky is done? They, along with Kansas, Florida, and 'Cuse, are one of the few teams that I think by March will be able to matchup against Arizona.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i don't beleive anyone is writing UK off. Most just like seeing UK lose because of all the preseason hype. Them and KU are the only team with 4 losses in the T25. But KU has a couple of good wins. UK's only good win is UofL which that win is looking not so good.

But aside from that, everyone see's they are big, thick and athletic.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think anybody counted them out, but they need to find some outside shooting or they're not going anywhere. UK is athletic, they can score in the paint and they can out rebound most the teams they'll face... but the shooting isn't there.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody counted them out, but they need to find some outside shooting or they're not going anywhere. UK is athletic, they can score in the paint and they can out rebound most the teams they'll face... but the shooting isn't there.

I agree the Harrison twins are not hitting their shots, but same thing for Syracuse's Cooney last year. IMO, those two grow into great outside shooters; just need to take some more shots and get used to the speed of the defenses. It's not like high school where defense is not a part of the game and a couple of very talented players have their way every night. I think they will get better; just don't know if it will be in time for the NC tournament.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teamrankings.com has the 10 most likely NCAA tounrey champs ( in order ) as

Arizona
OK State
Louisville
Michigan State
Kansas
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Nova
Kentucky
Iowa

- These are the only 10 teams with a better than 5% chance of winning the tourney according to that site. Kind of interesting that no Cuse.... I wholeheartedly disagree with that

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arizona
OK State
Louisville
Michigan State
Kansas
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Nova
Kentucky
Iowa

- These are the only 10 teams with a better than 5% chance of winning the tourney according to that site. Kind of interesting that no Cuse.... I wholeheartedly disagree with that

the fact that they have ok st and louisville makes one think that this is from, say, november. but then they have iowa and Nova and that makes one think it is from recently. and then one realizes that this is ridiculous and doesn't ever pay teamrankings a visit ever again

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact that they have ok st and louisville makes one think that this is from, say, november. but then they have iowa and Nova and that makes one think it is from recently. and then one realizes that this is ridiculous and doesn't ever pay teamrankings a visit ever again

LOL, I actually really like teamrankings but that was a weird list IMO

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arizona
OK State
Louisville
Michigan State
Kansas
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Nova
Kentucky
Iowa

I think the author is a UofL grad.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am watching the Baylor TTU game, and holy balls is Baylor bad. They are ranked 12th???? Holy shit I can't believe I am saying this but Jesus give Pitt their spot and send them out of the top 25 please. Talk about a ranking based on beating terrible teams over and over again....

This TTU team is god awful, and that is from seeing them play before this game.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sometimes you just got to let the haters hate. SU has an ooc where they beat #6 & #12 and they still find a reason to trash SU's schedule