• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

George Johnson signs offer sheet

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinions vary. :noidea:

The only constant around here seems to be that whatever Mayhew does is wrong. Giving up a 4th and 5th for a 5 time All-Pro DT was (apparently) a stupid move and he grossly over-paid, yet swapping a 7th and journeyman DE coming off a career season for a 5th is also stupid. Apparently draft picks are way more valuable when we're giving them up, as opposed to when we're getting ones back...

I honestly think Mayhew could trade a tackling dummy for Zach Martin and Tyron Smith and some of the posters here would still rip him a new one and call it a horrible trade for all the extra salary we took on...

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy coming off of his first season with legit playing time who amassed 26 tackles, 6 sacks and 12 hurries is absolutely worth 2.3 mil for a year in today's nfl. No question.

It's his first season with legit playing time because he sucked. I don't like the idea of paying a guy that much for one season of performing. Most of the time a guy with that kind of history will never repeat that performance.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have questions. Foremost among them is was he just a product of an immensely talented D-line? How many of those sacks did he create vs. how many were "clean-up" sacks? Was the George Johnson who played for us last year the player we're going to see again this season, or will he revert to the George Johnson who played 3 years in the league without a sack?

No questions you say? Sounds like you're maybe trying to convince yourself on that one, not us...

I was wondering too if he was just in the right place at the right time for some of those sacks. Did someone flush the QB his way? Did he just beat his guy or did the QB have no where to throw to? Obviously I don't remember every play of every game but I certainly don't recall thinking "Damn , Johnson just bullied so and so or embarrassed so and so". Maybe if I went back and watched for it I'd see him just dismantling tackles but I just doubt that more than half of those sacks or hurries were all him.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will not know for sure until the season is over. I am definitely a fan. I think he is the real deal. Yes playing on a better team helped, but I think getting his weight down and being in better football shape made more of an impact.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think Mayhew could trade a tackling dummy for Zach Martin and Tyron Smith and some of the posters here would still rip him a new one and call it a horrible trade for all the extra salary we took on...

Not sure why. It's well documented that Mayhew is one of the worst GM's in the league. It's been presented to you several times by dozens of posters using quality links. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away in the real world.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why. It's well documented that Mayhew is one of the worst GM's in the league. It's been presented to you several times by dozens of posters using quality links. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away in the real world.

It has been misrepresented by you and others. Links that you're talking about showed the Lions drafting since Millen took over. If you look the articles, the proof if you will about Mayhew as a whole, the evidence says he's underachieved in drafts but has done well in free agency and trades. So if you're going to try to convince everyone that he sucks as a GM, you actually have to give links to the evidence that he himself is a bad GM. At the end of the day the most credible evidence is the playoff talented team he's put together.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's his first season with legit playing time because he sucked. I don't like the idea of paying a guy that much for one season of performing. Most of the time a guy with that kind of history will never repeat that performance.

I don't agree. Sometimes guys just don't get PT because it's a numbers game. Doesn't mean they suck. And once they actually get that chance, they shine. Joique Bell is an example.

I'm much more willing to pay a guy in that situation - when finally given PT, he shined - than a guy who has gotten PT before, is consistently average-at-best, and then comes up with one good year. In the latter situation, you have evidence of a fluke; in the former, you don't.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree. Sometimes guys just don't get PT because it's a numbers game. Doesn't mean they suck. And once they actually get that chance, they shine. Joique Bell is an example.

I'm much more willing to pay a guy in that situation - when finally given PT, he shined - than a guy who has gotten PT before, is consistently average-at-best, and then comes up with one good year. In the latter situation, you have evidence of a fluke; in the former, you don't.

Over the last 5 years Tampa Bay is probably the least talented team at DE in the entire league. He couldn't get PT there. I wouldn't call Minnesota deep at DE either. He couldn't get PT there. So I take that into account also when I say I wouldn't pay this dude. Of all of Joique's teams, the only team that sucked at RB was the Colts. Why he didn't latch on with the Colts I have no idea but Philly, Buffalo and New Orleans was understandable. TB and Minny for me isn't at all understandable.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am of the belief guys may spike one way or another during their career but usually settle to the average. It was a contract season for Johnson and he did have Ansah, Suh, and the rest of the line taking double teams.

Who were you going to double team...Ansah, Suh, or Johnson?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been misrepresented by you and others.

Multiple credible sports outlets have highlighted Mayhew's below average career. Any further defense of him is blatant Bubble worship.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day the most credible evidence is the playoff talented team he's put together.

Not a playoff talented team. Playoff talented teams beat playoff teams, winning teams etc..

Lions 3-38 vs winning teams last 3 years.

Hardly a playoff talented team. More like a team that racked up wins vs bad teams on a bad schedule.

I totally get that that is good enough for some fans. But real fans expect better after 6 long years.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand where suddenly everyone thinks $2.34m is a huge contract?

We pay Bell substantially more. Why don't I see constant bashing of that? Is it because he plays more? Yet produces less on a per snap basis by a very long way compared to Johnson.

Was Jones better in 2014? He will also be paid quite a bit more.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We pay Bell substantially more. Why don't I see constant bashing of that? Is it because he plays more? Yet produces less on a per snap basis by a very long way compared to Johnson.

Bell is still a quality RB. After Warford and Waddle went down. He was stuck running behind Ravioli, that Garrett guy who blows and sucky Sims.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Multiple credible sports outlets have highlighted Mayhew's below average career. Any further defense of him is blatant Bubble worship.

Multiple credtible sports outlets have also talked about the good job he's doen putting together this roster. The door swings both ways.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a playoff talented team. Playoff talented teams beat playoff teams, winning teams etc..

Lions 3-38 vs winning teams last 3 years.

Hardly a playoff talented team. More like a team that racked up wins vs bad teams on a bad schedule.

I totally get that that is good enough for some fans. But real fans expect better after 6 long years.

The Lions have a very talented roster. The last 2 years of Schwartz's regime the highly underachieved based on the talent. Last year they beat the playoff bound teams they faced at home and lost to them on the road. Good teams should beat other good teams at home. Yes, it would be nice if they found a way to win road games against other good teams but that doesn't mean Mayhew hasn't put together a talented team.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

$2.34 mil is not a lot for a proven productive player. One season of playing good football doesn't make him proven. Also, the $3 mil Tampa agreed to pay him is nothing when you have $20-30 in cap space but $2.34 is a shit ton when it eats up half of your space.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions have a very talented roster. The last 2 years of Schwartz's regime the highly underachieved based on the talent. Last year they beat the playoff bound teams they faced at home and lost to them on the road. Good teams should beat other good teams at home. Yes, it would be nice if they found a way to win road games against other good teams but that doesn't mean Mayhew hasn't put together a talented team.

I'd like to think they're talented too, but at some point, that perceived talent needs to beat some winning teams, period.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we didn't sign GJ just like I'm glad Willie Young didn't take the 3/$9 offer, and was definitely glad Avril didn't accept the ridiculous offer of $10 mil/year.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we didn't sign GJ just like I'm glad Willie Young didn't take the 3/$9 offer, and was definitely glad Avril didn't accept the ridiculous offer of $10 mil/year.

We never made an offer to Willie Young. And he had more sacks than anyone on our team last year.

Thank goodness we gave the money to Pettigrew instead.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We never made an offer to Willie Young. And he had more sacks than anyone on our team last year.

Thank goodness we gave the money to Pettigrew instead.

My bad, I worded that wrong. I'm glad WE didn't give him the 3/$9 deal he accepted with Chicago.
Willie is one dimensional. Jason Jones replacing Young on the line was a big reason we jumped from 20th in rushing ypa to 1st.