• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

George Johnson signs offer sheet

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he signed a offer sheet for 3 year deal with the Bucs. Got 5 days to match it

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What!!? Why would he go from an 11 win juggernaut to a shitty team picking first in the draft? Has he not seen the logo? And why Florida? The UP is better. What an idiot.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a original round tender on him. Match it or lose him with no chance at compensation.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to imagine if Orlovsky signed with the Dolphins. I know he is already signed by a juggernaut, but you would say it was a good signing Rob? Right?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to imagine if Orlovsky signed with the Dolphins. I know he is already signed by a juggernaut, but you would say it was a good signing Rob? Right?

I picture you sitting there for two minutes working hard to think this one up, furiously typing it out, smashing submit then taking a long, satisfying swig from your Diet Dr. Pepper.

diet-dr-pepper-lil-sweet-featuring-justin-guarini-large-4.jpg

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About 6 minutes then 2 more minutes for dyslexia proofing and fuck drinking diet drinks.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends how outrageous the offer is. If it is reasonable we should match it. If it is and we dont then it could be more evidence we are moving toward more 3-4 allignments.

Also kinda weird the Bucs let him go after never developing him and now they want him back.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Lovies guy. Now he sees he may have blossomed and wants him back. How much was because of Him playing with Ansah/Suh/Mosley/Fairley?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends how outrageous the offer is. If it is reasonable we should match it. If it is and we dont then it could be more evidence we are moving toward more 3-4 allignments.

Also kinda weird the Bucs let him go after never developing him and now they want him back.
I would't read too much into that one- we had 6 DEs on the roster last year, including Johnson, and the other 5 are all back.

I like Johnson, want him back, he played really well for us last year, but he's also a guy we can afford to lose if the Bucs want to over-pay him.

Like most of you guys have said- it all comes down to how much $$ is in the offer sheet they signed him to.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Lovies guy. Now he sees he may have blossomed and wants him back. How much was because of Him playing with Ansah/Suh/Mosley/Fairley?
Agreed. Different coaching staff and different GM, too, I believe...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing to consider here is the development of Larry Webster. He was a mid-high pick with intent to be a developmental guy in year one. If he's ready to see the field then losing Johnson would sting a lot less...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between the tender they gave him and the 2nd rd tender was $800k. What did he have, 6 sacks last year?

Does anyone realistically think his agent couldn't find a deal worth more than $2.5m for that type of production? Willie Young was too stupid to be able to sign an autograph and isn't as good as Johnson and got more than that. And he got it when the cap was lower and deals weren't what they are now.

I had a post written on this when they made the offer saying that I bet we either lost him or would end up paying more than the 2nd rd tender amount. Didn't post it because I didn't want an e-pissing match on how important it was to save $800k but pay $17m for another guy.

Nobody was going to give us a 2nd to take him away so that would have locked him down. This is just another example of how The Clown Show doesn't get it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between the tender they gave him and the 2nd rd tender was $800k. What did he have, 6 sacks last year?

Does anyone realistically think his agent couldn't find a deal worth more than $2.5m for that type of production? Willie Young was too stupid to be able to sign an autograph and isn't as good as Johnson and got more than that. And he got it when the cap was lower and deals weren't what they are now.

I had a post written on this when they made the offer saying that I bet we either lost him or would end up paying more than the 2nd rd tender amount. Didn't post it because I didn't want an e-pissing match on how important it was to save $800k but pay $17m for another guy.

Nobody was going to give us a 2nd to take him away so that would have locked him down. This is just another example of how The Clown Show doesn't get it.
Pretty sure that tender was given with saving every possible penny to try to re-sign Suh in mind... Had they tendered him at a 2nd round level I'm sure they would have been total idiots at the time for doing that, too.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that tender was given with saving every possible penny to try to re-sign Suh in mind... Had they tendered him at a 2nd round level I'm sure they would have been total idiots at the time for doing that, too.

Not at all, it was the smart decision if they really wanted to keep him. You have posted before on other cap comments I've made how even $1m is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Cap is even higher and now it's ok to try and save $800k vs locking down a guy who played as well as Johnson last year?

If he was unrestricted are you telling me he would be worth less than roughly a 3yr/$5m deal? Cause that would actually be more than the Lions offered him. Not a chance. It's another notch on the headboard of stupidity from the idiots running the team

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all, it was the smart decision if they really wanted to keep him. You have posted before on other cap comments I've made how even $1m is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Cap is even higher and now it's ok to try and save $800k vs locking down a guy who played as well as Johnson last year?

If he was unrestricted are you telling me he would be worth less than roughly a 3yr/$5m deal? Cause that would actually be more than the Lions offered him. Not a chance. It's another notch on the headboard of stupidity from the idiots running the team
I definitely would have paid the extra $800,000 to do the 2nd round tender, don't get me wrong, I just think they were trying to clear every penny they could for Suh.

Something else to consider is that he'll factor into the comp formula in our favor if he gets signed away, but I'm not sure how the specifics work on that.

This is another one where I can see both sides- he had a good year, but we're young and deep at DE...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else to consider is that he'll factor into the comp formula in our favor if he gets signed away, but I'm not sure how the specifics work on that.

He was offered a original round tender. There will be no compensation for him. At least the article stated that. Now, does this mean he's out of any equation or just certain parts when it comes to other guys? Been looking for a answer and can not find it.
IMO he is still a FA lost and should count as such.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everyone on the staff keeps saying we aren't going to a 3-4. And the Bucs recently haven't had many guys that they have develped well. At the end of the day, he had a good season but I wouldn't give him $3 mil a year based on it. That't the kind of shit the teams we are chasing won't do.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he played for Chicago, did he?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a business and the Bucs are willing to give him a three year deal at a nice salary to keep Detroit from matching. It comes down to zeros and Johnson is making the best decision for Johnson.

No hard feelings it's still a business. Same way Suh signed for a better deal Detroit could not match.

Congratulations on your contract, you probably are no longer be a Lion. No hard feelings now piss off you get booed when you visit Detroit.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DING, DING, DING -- we have a winner.

Stupidity like this is why the Lions will not become a successful franchise until they clean house in the front office. Why in the world put an original round tender? It makes no sense. Cross your fingers and hope no one offers him and if they do, it is less than the 800k difference it would have cost putting a 2nd round tender on him?

You find a guy who has shown to be productive in your system and now, you are going to either pay him more than you would have had to, to keep him, or he walks and we get nothing.

This goes right along with Willie Young walking and putting up 10 sacks for the Bears this past season. Talking about how Suh is coming back, Suh is coming back, Suh is coming back and Suh signs with Miami. Declining Fairley's option, so we lose not one, but both of our 1st round DT picks. And if they had an inkling one or both of these guys were leaving -- they had a replacement handed to them in last year's draft and we pass to draft you know who, while the DT goes on to have a monster season.

So frustrating to watch how our front office works.