• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT 6/27 Dogs @ Timmeh's

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L.A. Times writers in full pantshat mode over the "choking dogs". Reading it reminds me of the ESPN Giants MB. :heh:

(guys, you were/are without your best hitter for a long time with a very shitty lineup and it's stil before the AS Break.....calm down)

Exactly. It's likely a 3 way battle for the division. But as it looks right now we are back to being the favorites.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great question. Put another way, when will the inflection point between "Sabean is an idiot for not trading Timmy last offseason for a BAT" and "Sabean is an idiot for not locking Timmy up for 7 years/35MM in June" occur?

Nice. Repped.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could we forget The Panda! Good catch.

'We' 'forgot' because he was out for a few weeks and we didn't miss a beat. To me it doesn't add to any 'poor injured Giants' narrative. Sorry, I'm not buying that we have had to deal with as much injuries as AZ or LA this year.

And fucking good, after last year. We deserve a relatively healthy year. THIS is our real title defense!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything is possible.
I think a better question would be with Kemp and Ethier out, do you think the dogs can hold ground?

That lineup looks eerily like the 2008 Giants lineup.

The Giants just took first after enduring losses to their closer, starting 2B, their Ace, their defense and growing pains of the Brandons.

I think the early struggles and injuries made them even stronger as Blanco and Arias have proved their worth when given an opportunity.

Id watch out for AZ.

Good points. And the bolded: we all are, have been all year.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
'We' 'forgot' because he was out for a few weeks and we didn't miss a beat. To me it doesn't add to any 'poor injured Giants' narrative. Sorry, I'm not buying that we have had to deal with as much injuries as AZ or LA this year.

And fucking good, after last year. We deserve a relatively healthy year. THIS is our real title defense!

Oh....I see...because Arias stepped up and played well for two weeks, we can ignore Panda's injury. Wasn't the whole point that the Giants had the depth to withstand these injuries, unlike the dodgers?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh....I see...because Arias stepped up and played well for two weeks, we can ignore Panda's injury. Wasn't the whole point that the Giants had the depth to withstand these injuries, unlike the dodgers?

Sure, but another point is that we are having a pretty normal injury run, and our depth is helping us. LA is having an abnormal injury run, and their lack of depth is threatening their surprising season. They still have the same record we do, and will get guys back, and will likely be buyers.

I'm not bagging on the Giants or overly praising the Dodgers here. But after 2011 I just can't see this year's team as particularly unlucky with health.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sure, but another point is that we are having a pretty normal injury run, and our depth is helping us. LA is having an abnormal injury run, and their lack of depth is threatening their surprising season. They still have the same record we do, and will get guys back, and will likely be buyers.

I'm not bagging on the Giants or overly praising the Dodgers here. But after 2011 I just can't see this year's team as particularly unlucky with health.

Dodgers are just lucky the phillies were in a bigger funk than they were when they played two weeks ago. Scheduling had been good to them until then. Now events are turning against them and they're wilting, like the dogs we always knew they were.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Love this from TrueBlueLA in their series preview:

No matter what happens this week in San Francisco, it's nearly impossible for the Dodgers to do worse than their trip to the bay area last week. At the very least, the atmosphere should be more exciting. Just ask Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.

"I do like that atmosphere, a lot better than Oakland," Mattingly said of AT&T Park. "Oakland is dead. That place has got some juice."

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
more from trueblue:

Rotational MatchUp:

Strangely we get the same three we got the last time we went toe to toe with the Giants with the only difference being that Nathan Eovaldi gets to take on Barry Zito instead of Ted Lilly.

On June 3rd Barry Zito threw eight innings of shut out ball. His next three starts he has given up 4 / 5 / 8 earned runs giving him a total of 17 earned runs in 14 innings. You would think the Dodgers might be able to score some runs in game one except.... Nathan Eovaldi is pitching for us and we simply do not score runs for Nathan. Not like the Dodgers are scoring runs for anyone lately.

Ryan Vogelsong is still an amazing story but if you believe in pitching peripherals take note that Ryan's ERA is 2.73, his FIP is 3.73, and his xFIP is 4.53. Quite a diff between his ERA and xFIP.

Tim Lincecum is the opposite of Vogelsong. Tim has a crazy ERA of 6.07, a FIP of 3.78, and an xFIP of 3.77. They say the velocity is down but the K rate remains strong at 9.87 per nine innings.

Nice that we miss Matt Cain and Bumgarner.

:charlie: schadenfreude

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that the 1st paragraph is a point a lot of us (at least I know I thought so) were trying to make though. It never looked like to me that the Dodgers had any depth in their lineup or rotation. I thought they had (and still think so) 3 really good players, a bunch of ok ones and a bunch of crap. Kemp not playing (especially with Gwynn's defense) doesn't make Billingsley's ERA go from Matt Cain-esque to bad Zito. Kemp going out doesn't make A.J. Ellis' power stroke and average go away (batting a couple slots behind Kemp).....pitchers have figured him out and now it's his turn to adjust. The one guy who it has had a HUGE effect on was Ethier. He looked like Nate Schierholtz after Kemp went down. They're lucky that Capaguano is having the type of season he's having. I don't think the Giants deserve a "poor injured giants" narrative either, but they've been able to sustain much better than the Doggies. And really, the Doggies have only had one bad injury (Kemp), and one average one (Lilly).....now they may have two bad injuries with Ethier.

I hope so. Luck, on the injury front, has been good to the Giants so far this year.....I hope that stays with them.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/67982-4-12-gdt-bum-rox-6.html#post1848557

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/69421-giants-vs-junipero-serras-4-29-a-5.html#post1916020

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/69421-giants-vs-junipero-serras-4-29-a.html

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers are just lucky the phillies were in a bigger funk than they were when they played two weeks ago. Scheduling had been good to them until then. Now events are turning against them and they're wilting, like the dogs we always knew they were.

Scheduling was pretty good to us when we faced them Kemp-less just now.

But I hear ya. Long season, various injury and scheduling quirks will create narratives. In the end I think they will compete all year, you don't. We'll see! Hope you're right and I'm wrong, once again.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the 1st paragraph is a point a lot of us (at least I know I thought so) were trying to make though. It never looked like to me that the Dodgers had any depth in their lineup or rotation. I thought they had (and still think so) 3 really good players, a bunch of ok ones and a bunch of crap. Kemp not playing (especially with Gwynn's defense) doesn't make Billingsley's ERA go from Matt Cain-esque to bad Zito. Kemp going out doesn't make A.J. Ellis' power stroke and average go away (batting a couple slots behind Kemp).....pitchers have figured him out and now it's his turn to adjust. The one guy who it has had a HUGE effect on was Ethier. He looked like Nate Schierholtz after Kemp went down. They're lucky that Capaguano is having the type of season he's having. I don't think the Giants deserve a "poor injured giants" narrative either, but they've been able to sustain much better than the Doggies. And really, the Doggies have only had one bad injury (Kemp), and one average one (Lilly).....now they may have two bad injuries with Ethier.

I hope so. Luck, on the injury front, has been good to the Giants so far this year.....I hope that stays with them.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/67982-4-12-gdt-bum-rox-6.html#post1848557

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/69421-giants-vs-junipero-serras-4-29-a-5.html#post1916020

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/69421-giants-vs-junipero-serras-4-29-a.html

Mad reps if I can.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN Stats and Info, more on the Dodgers' slide:

Dodgers/Giants win percentage by month this season
June: .440/.640
May: .571/.517
April: .696/.545

The Giants' sweep of the Dodgers in San Francisco comes just a week after the Dodgers were swept by the Athletics across the bay in Oakland. In the two series combined, the Dodgers were outscored 24-2.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more from trueblue:

:charlie: schadenfreude

LOL!!

We've been waiting for the Dodgers to cool off all season. No one could have dreamed that their "cool off" would be so dramatic, and so farking beautiful.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And the moves begin

Los Angeles Dodgers have deal with Yasiel Puig, sources say - ESPN Los Angeles

What a crazy ass name that kid has. What's with Cuban names?

Livan, Yasiel, Aroldis, Yunel, Yoenis, Yonder, Yuniesky, Kendry, Leonys, Dayan...

A lot of money to give to a player you've never actually scouted.
Puig is a big-time power prospect, but I’m told Dodgers never saw him play in an actual game. Has only played twice outside of Cuba.

— Danny Knobler (@DKnobler) June 28, 2012

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of money to give to a player you've never actually scouted.

This is my fear. With the huge overpay they did to get the team, and now this deal...looks like our main rival will be spending like Steinbrenner on a bender.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dodgers system seems a little deeper than the Giants, at the moment. But their ML is old in comparison. I think I'd save my bullets, maybe even turn into a seller - Hairston could fetch a good prospect or two given the dearth of MI talent in the league.

I think it's a little early for even the Doggies to be pressing the Panic Button.

And I don't think Magic, et al, shelled out $2 billion to turn into a seller in their first year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dodgers system seems a little deeper than the Giants, at the moment. But their ML is old in comparison. I think I'd save my bullets, maybe even turn into a seller - Hairston could fetch a good prospect or two given the dearth of MI talent in the league.

I'd do the same thing, but the new owners aren't going to chuck the season and sell.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's a little early for even the Doggies to be pressing the Panic Button.

And I don't think Magic, et al, shelled out $2 billion to turn into a seller in their first year.

I didn't mean turn into a seller right now. I'd wait a couple of weeks until I'm firmly in third place.