• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT: 49ers vs Raiders, Pre-Season Style

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason or not, I'm glad to see us get a win!

This one's for the fellow VOLS fans -->
loco.gif
loco.gif
loco.gif
loco.gif

lols, agreed. More importantly, the starters looked good. Long as Lee is not seriously hurt, there's not much negative from tonight.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Iupati at LG and Rachal at RG, I don't know how likely it is for Kilgore to get some real game time anytime soon. What are his prospects as a Center?

Just thinking the same thing. Iupati won't lose his spot unless a disaster were to strike forth and Rachal has been playing/practicing well under Harbs...

Tough spot for a really good backup... Maybe C is in the near future?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In order to be a power-back you need to excel in short-yardage situations. Dixon hasn't excelled, he has disappointed, astronomically. He's Kevan Barlow part deux.

Dead on, rep to you sir. I understand people wanting to call him a power back but I need to see a single 3 & 1 conversion from him where he doesn't dance and pushes the pile forward to make that call. He is clearly the 3rd best HB on our roster right now

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to be a power-back you need to excel in short-yardage situations. Dixon hasn't excelled, he has disappointed, astronomically. He's Kevan Barlow part deux.

He did pretty well tonight in short and mid yardage situations. I'm not willing to judge a player on his rookie season. He looks like he's going to make a major improvement over last season.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dead on, rep to you sir. I understand people wanting to call him a power back but I need to see a single 3 & 1 conversion from him where he doesn't dance and pushes the pile forward to make that call. He is clearly the 3rd best HB on our roster right now

Were you not watching tonight? What happened on short yardage situations tonight?

He had a bad season in his rookie year, but you can't expect a rookie to come in and be a powerback. The speed of the game is too fast for that, he was going to have to progess and become that powerback.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man would I be more than happy to sit down and view some film on runningbacks with alot of people on here. You'd just have to have played it to get it. It's not just getting the ball and go, theres a lot that goes into it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Were you not watching tonight? What happened on short yardage situations tonight?

He had a bad season in his rookie year, but you can't expect a rookie to come in and be a powerback. The speed of the game is too fast for that, he was going to have to progess and become that powerback.

What I saw was him getting stuffed at the line in a goal line situation and then failing to convert anything. You're right in that he has shown improvement and he has some potential but the only way he gets there is to stop dancing and he has shown he's not willing to do that on EVERY down. Until that happens he's solidly #3. He adds nothing to our first string offense that Gore doesn't give where Hunter gives flexibility from screens and is a threat every time he touches the ball when he spells gore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man would I be more than happy to sit down and view some film on runningbacks with alot of people on here. You'd just have to have played it to get it. It's not just getting the ball and go, theres a lot that goes into it.

I'll give you that. At 6'8 and 330 I was a hell of a lot better tackle then a hb :) That being the case my flag is raised to give Hunter carries against the first unit and let us evaluate apples to apples for a clear winner.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Rathman thinks otherwise. I think I trust him more than you. You remember when they publicly called Dixon out last year, and essentially had the same criticisms as us?

It has nothing to do with him not being able to get to holes, he completely misses them. He doesn't see them. he dances in the open field and allows people to catch him from behind because of it. He hesitates, it's obvious. those aren't slow runs from a big man, they are studder steps caused by uncertainty.

When Davis HAS played to his strengths it shows, he has nice runs...but he isn;t always playing to his strengths.

Thats good, let Tom Rathman call out an injured rookie, that doesn't change a thing.

People saying that Hunter hits the holes harder has everything to the speed and quicknesss. Once again you'd have to have played the position. If you're a runningback and you're heading for the hole which closes in front of you, your first instinct is to look for a new one which gives the impression of dancing.

I don't know about you but the last thing I want to see is Dixon running into the back of our O-lineman. The first thing they taught me when I went to college is to always keep your head on a swivel and if the hole cloeses, find a new one. Unless it's 3rd and inches you never want to run into a linemans back.

Now was he slower on making his reads last season? Sure he was a rookie but he's looking much more like he's seeing the holes better this season.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did pretty well tonight in short and mid yardage situations. I'm not willing to judge a player on his rookie season. He looks like he's going to make a major improvement over last season.

I'm more willing to judge a running back early, than any other position. The good ones tend to get it quickly. It's the easiest skill position to fill for that reason.

I think you just have a man crush on dixion.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thats good, let Tom Rathman call out an injured rookie, that doesn't change a thing.

People saying that Hunter hits the holes harder has everything to the speed and quicknesss. Once again you'd have to have played the position. If you're a runningback and you're heading for the hole which closes in front of you, your first instinct is to look for a new one which gives the impression of dancing.

I don't know about you but the last thing I want to see is Dixon running into the back of our O-lineman. The first thing they taught me when I went to college is to always keep your head on a swivel and if the hole cloeses, find a new one. Unless it's 3rd and inches you never want to run into a linemans back.

Now was he slower on making his reads last season? Sure he was a rookie but he's looking much more like he's seeing the holes better this season.

What about when he broke left and was standing in open field and stutter stepped to allow the defender behind him to pull him down? There was no hole closing in front of him then and he danced like someone was shooting at the ground

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I saw was him getting stuffed at the line in a goal line situation and then failing to convert anything. You're right in that he has shown improvement and he has some potential but the only way he gets there is to stop dancing and he has shown he's not willing to do that on EVERY down. Until that happens he's solidly #3. He adds nothing to our first string offense that Gore doesn't give where Hunter gives flexibility from screens and is a threat every time he touches in when he spells gore.

I saw him convert a 3rd tonight but you must have missed that. I also saw him on that goalline situation gaining yards on each of his runs.

No runningback can not dance on EVERY down, it's impossible because there isn't always a hole. The last thing you want is your RB running intot he back of your OL.

What you're right about is the 3rd down situation. Hunter makes a much better 3rd down back due to his speed but I definitely see Gore handling those roles. They give completely different things to the team.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more willing to judge a running back early, than any other position. The good ones tend to get it quickly. It's the easiest skill position to fill for that reason.

I think you just have a man crush on dixion.

That's simply because you don't know what its like man. It's a different game when you're a big back.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give you that. At 6'8 and 330 I was a hell of a lot better tackle then a hb :) That being the case my flag is raised to give Hunter carries against the first unit and let us evaluate apples to apples for a clear winner.

Don't get me wrong. I'm the one who called Hunter a future pro bowler on draft day on ESPN board. I like the guy and have watched him for a long time. I just don't get people cutting down Dixon after he's clearly made HUGE strides from last season. He looks like a completely different running back IMO.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

oh right rathman knows nothing, and dixon had an injury plagued season.

right....

I haven't played the position, Rathman on the other hand, seems to have played it longer and better than you, as well as coaching it. He seems to know a thing or two. players who played under him seem to be quiet fond of him. the new coaching staff that could have replaced him, didn't have second thoughts about keeping him...

In comparison, your experience is quiet frail.

Maybe you didn't make it, because you weren't a smart player.

It's possible. Honestly I don't know you enough for your experience at RB to hold any weight for me. My observations seem to match rathman's though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway fellas I gotta get off for the night. We can continue this at a future date.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't get me wrong. I'm the one who called Hunter a future pro bowler on draft day on ESPN board. I like the guy and have watched him for a long time. I just don't get people cutting down Dixon after he's clearly made HUGE strides from last season. He looks like a completely different running back IMO.

I have come off as a basher and that's not my intent. As I've said a couple times, I just want Hunter to get those reps with the first team to validate it. Maybe that happens and he stinks it up. I want the apples to apples so we have good ground to argue on. That way we decide who buys who a beer on even ground :)

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have come off as a basher and that's not my intent. As I've said a couple times, I just want Hunter to get those reps with the first team to validate it. Maybe that happens and he stinks it up. I want the apples to apples so we have good ground to argue on. That way we decide who buys who a beer on even ground :)

I'm not a Dixon hater either, I WANT him to do well. i don't think he should be cut.

My stance is hunter needs more reps, I think he will fill in nicely.

and Dixon needs to do a better job of playing to his strengths. When he does his potential shows, but he doesn't always do it.