• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game # 3: Patriots V Texans 9-23-17

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am truly concerned about the Pats' chances to repeat this year as SB champs. The injury to Edelman got things off to a terrible start. Not only is he Brady's "go-to" guy when he needs a completion, he is also an electric punt returner (although I shudder each time he gets hit on a return). Then Hightower was hurt, and is still not back. If you think he is not that important to the defense, just watch the sack of Matt Ryan late in the SB. Also, Nate Solder is really showing the effects of previous serious illnesses and injury and has definitely lost a step or two. One question, what is the status of Antonio Garcia? I thought he was on short term IR, available after Game 6. Now I hear he may be lost for the whole season. Does anyone know his true status? He is only guy I feel might be in a position to help at left tackle this season. Going back to punt returner, Amendola and Chung are now doing the job. I have the same feeling about Dola that I do about Edelman, and Chung is basically a fair catch guy. BB has released the two PS players (Demarcus Ayers and Robert Nelson) who had true punt return potential. Who will ultimately do this important job? There are a lot of questions surrounding the 2017 Patriots, especially on defense and special teams. Answers to these questions must be forthcoming if we want to see the Pats go for #6.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garcia was placed on the Non-Football Injury list at the final cutdown. The rule is the same as for returning from IR - a player placed on NFI has to be on the initial 53 man roster first in order to be eligible to be reactivated from NFI during the season. Since this was not the case with Garcia, he is out for the year.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am truly concerned about the Pats' chances to repeat this year as SB champs. The injury to Edelman got things off to a terrible start. Not only is he Brady's "go-to" guy when he needs a completion, he is also an electric punt returner (although I shudder each time he gets hit on a return). Then Hightower was hurt, and is still not back. If you think he is not that important to the defense, just watch the sack of Matt Ryan late in the SB. Also, Nate Solder is really showing the effects of previous serious illnesses and injury and has definitely lost a step or two. One question, what is the status of Antonio Garcia? I thought he was on short term IR, available after Game 6. Now I hear he may be lost for the whole season. Does anyone know his true status? He is only guy I feel might be in a position to help at left tackle this season. Going back to punt returner, Amendola and Chung are now doing the job. I have the same feeling about Dola that I do about Edelman, and Chung is basically a fair catch guy. BB has released the two PS players (Demarcus Ayers and Robert Nelson) who had true punt return potential. Who will ultimately do this important job? There are a lot of questions surrounding the 2017 Patriots, especially on defense and special teams. Answers to these questions must be forthcoming if we want to see the Pats go for #6.

I think they can repeat...have you seen the rest of the NFL? Plus, it's only game 3. I am not worried about the offense at all. They have scored over 28 pts in all their games, and 2 were against prob top 5 defenses in the league. They are getting better and Cooks and Brady seem to be getting better each week. The RB have been key and Hogan is back to what he was doing last yr. He is not JE and the Patriots need to not use him like that. Once Dorsett and Hollister get it going, we will be fine. Plus MM is coming back at some point. If Cannon can stay healthy, he is one of the best RT in the game (can't believe I am saying that). Then we can help Solder, who is (right now) absolute garbage. If we can help him with a TE or RB, this offense should role.

The issues are with the defense right now. They were also like this in the first half of last yr, but they got better. There are a TON of new guys on this defense, and they have to believe in "Do you Job" for this defense to be effective. Communication is key for this defense to be effective and you lose that when HT is not on the field. We have all seen over the past 5 yrs how much better this defense is with HT out there. He is the clear leader and that is why BB paid him. He makes the big play and gets guys where they need to be. Gillmore needs to get better, IMO he has not lived up to that "top 5 CB" standing. He got a lucky pick the other day. MB seemed to be sulking the first 2 games, but played much better vs Hou. He covered Hopkins pretty nice. Wise, Marsh, Guy, Butler, Harris are all new and they are getting better. Van Noy in his second yr has improved greatly. Marsh was pretty good last week vs Hou and Wise seems like he is going to be a handful for OT. If this defense can gel, we'll be OK.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can repeat...have you seen the rest of the NFL? Plus, it's only game 3. I am not worried about the offense at all. They have scored over 28 pts in all their games, and 2 were against prob top 5 defenses in the league. They are getting better and Cooks and Brady seem to be getting better each week. The RB have been key and Hogan is back to what he was doing last yr. He is not JE and the Patriots need to not use him like that. Once Dorsett and Hollister get it going, we will be fine. Plus MM is coming back at some point. If Cannon can stay healthy, he is one of the best RT in the game (can't believe I am saying that). Then we can help Solder, who is (right now) absolute garbage. If we can help him with a TE or RB, this offense should role.

The issues are with the defense right now. They were also like this in the first half of last yr, but they got better. There are a TON of new guys on this defense, and they have to believe in "Do you Job" for this defense to be effective. Communication is key for this defense to be effective and you lose that when HT is not on the field. We have all seen over the past 5 yrs how much better this defense is with HT out there. He is the clear leader and that is why BB paid him. He makes the big play and gets guys where they need to be. Gillmore needs to get better, IMO he has not lived up to that "top 5 CB" standing. He got a lucky pick the other day. MB seemed to be sulking the first 2 games, but played much better vs Hou. He covered Hopkins pretty nice. Wise, Marsh, Guy, Butler, Harris are all new and they are getting better. Van Noy in his second yr has improved greatly. Marsh was pretty good last week vs Hou and Wise seems like he is going to be a handful for OT. If this defense can gel, we'll be OK.

Amendola is hitting on all eight....but he needs to not lead with his head.
Dorsett is still coming up to speed and may become an as big or bigger threat than Cooks.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Creep and Yankee, your posts make me feel better but, especially with Solder being the only guy at LT, no legitimate punt returner (unless Riley "Wes Welker clone" McCarron emerges from the PS) and the defensive tackles having trouble with slashing type running backs, I am still concerned. As you say, the offense has been superb but I just read an article that they are having trouble getting a yard or two when they really need it. Gilislee is good but he is not the runaway train that Blount could be when hitting the line (although Blount also had his problems at times in short yardage situations last season). The Pats may very well get the train back on the track and look like the 2016 team but, with this year's schedule being tougher than last year's, even that may not be enough.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Creep and Yankee, your posts make me feel better but, especially with Solder being the only guy at LT, no legitimate punt returner (unless Riley "Wes Welker clone" McCarron emerges from the PS) and the defensive tackles having trouble with slashing type running backs, I am still concerned. As you say, the offense has been superb but I just read an article that they are having trouble getting a yard or two when they really need it. Gilislee is good but he is not the runaway train that Blount could be when hitting the line (although Blount also had his problems at times in short yardage situations last season). The Pats may very well get the train back on the track and look like the 2016 team but, with this year's schedule being tougher than last year's, even that may not be enough.

Agree with all you say. Well, punt returner is not as big a deal in my book with Brady and the rest of the offense.
LT...OL really, is the biggest liability.
Gillislee in long yardage situations seems to get 5-6 yards where Blount would get 2-3 last year.
But on 4th and 1, Blount would still get 2-3 where Gillislee gets 0.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just had a wild idea for a trade. How about moving Dion Lewis and/or Malcolm Butler and acquiring Travaris Cadet and Adrian Peterson from the Saints? BB has said some good things about Peterson and, if he still has gas in the tank, he could be like Corey Dillon 2.0. Peterson is obviously unhappy with his situation in NO. Cadet was with the Pats two years ago and should know their system pretty well. With the possible imbalance of the trade if both Pats players go, BB might acquire a draft choice as well.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just had a wild idea for a trade. How about moving Dion Lewis and/or Malcolm Butler and acquiring Travaris Cadet and Adrian Peterson from the Saints? BB has said some good things about Peterson and, if he still has gas in the tank, he could be like Corey Dillon 2.0. Peterson is obviously unhappy with his situation in NO. Cadet was with the Pats two years ago and should know their system pretty well. With the possible imbalance of the trade if both Pats players go, BB might acquire a draft choice as well.

How do you feel that would make the team any better? Seems like a step back to me. IMO our offense is great and will continue to improve as they mesh more and more. In regards to Gillislee not being able to get it done on short yard situations I figure either he's gonna start getting it done or they're gonna start going to White more on those plays.

The defense on the other hand is a mystery to me though I trust BB and MP to figure it out.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear ya....The thing is, Solder will get help with a healthy Cannon. Cannon def makes this offense better because he can handle DE by himself. Also remember that Watt and CLown are some of the best DE in the game, so we needed to help both OT that game. That wont happen with Cannon out there. I think Solder will be fine with not so fast DE. I agree the struggle on short yardage, and again that was on Solder a few times. I think they need to use Lewis or White for that, they have a little more wiggle to them. I honestly think Gills would have gotten that one last week if Solder can block for more than 3 seconds. I'm sure this will get better.

No worried about PR with Chung or DA back there. Chung can handle the stuff inside the 30 and Dola can take those beyond that. Just hold onto the football and get down when you have too.