• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GAME 10 - VT @ Georgia Tech.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speed is great and the more of it the better, but it takes containment and not over-pursuing the dive to defend the triple option.

exactly. we need to be disciplined on defense, which may be a reason we are taking the true freshman maddy out of the starting lineup for this game.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
from twitter:

Foster on starting Jack Tyler: "I think what we are asking of our mike linebacker this week, I think he gives us the best chance."

LB Jack Tyler on starting at GT: "Coach Foster said this is a game where I make a name for myself and Im excited about that."

Foster: "If we had both Hopkins boys in there, Id feel [pause], but thats why we moved J.R. He's a rugged guy."

Bud Foster said the decision to go with Jack Tyler had to do w/ his speed. Tyler's strong suit is stopping the run, which GT does a lot.

edited to remove a bunch of ****8217's and such.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
some more stuff:

Hokies are using walk-on fr. QB T.J. Shaw, a grad of Franklin Co. High in Rocky Mount, Va., to simulate GT QB Tevin Washington in practice.

Shaw played in a pro-style offense at Franklin Co., but he also ran some triple option from time-to-time

Shaw listed 6-foot-0, 170 lbs,but he was getting knocked around like rag doll in practice.To be scout team QB this wk,gotta be tough

Shaw's father, Chris, is an assistant coach at NCAA Division III Ferrum College, which runs the triple option.

^FWIW i dont know if VT will try this or not but I know whoVa and others have practiced without a ball to get reay for the triple option. Basically means everyone will have to cover their man no matter where the ball may be.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our DL will be quicker this week. Their OL cut blocks so our big guys would just be getting dropped. Smaller faster DL will allow them to dodge some cuts and make plays. I like that Bud is changing things because we have struggled running our same ole front against them.

CalvinJohnson4God

Time to die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some more stuff:

Hokies are using walk-on fr. QB T.J. Shaw, a grad of Franklin Co. High in Rocky Mount, Va., to simulate GT QB Tevin Washington in practice.

Shaw played in a pro-style offense at Franklin Co., but he also ran some triple option from time-to-time

Shaw listed 6-foot-0, 170 lbs,but he was getting knocked around like rag doll in practice.To be scout team QB this wk,gotta be tough

Shaw's father, Chris, is an assistant coach at NCAA Division III Ferrum College, which runs the triple option.

^FWIW i dont know if VT will try this or not but I know whoVa and others have practiced without a ball to get reay for the triple option. Basically means everyone will have to cover their man no matter where the ball may be.

I remember a lot of teams doing that before playing GT in 2008, because the ESPN guys would always make a point to talk about it. Most of the teams they said it about ended up getting torched on D, though, so I'm not sure if it really makes much difference.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^FWIW i dont know if VT will try this or not but I know whoVa and others have practiced without a ball to get reay for the triple option. Basically means everyone will have to cover their man no matter where the ball may be.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I hope they investigated what UVa did in their prep for this game. It apparently worked in their favor.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a lot of teams doing that before playing GT in 2008, because the ESPN guys would always make a point to talk about it. Most of the teams they said it about ended up getting torched on D, though, so I'm not sure if it really makes much difference.
I am sure it helps, but there is no way the practice squad can emulate the speed and crispness of the GT triple option in two weeks.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's that time of year again...

The battle of the Tech's is the ACCCG semi-final again. I don't like playing this on Thursday... and I especially don't like it in Atlanta. Hope we can pull this off. We'll need to play our most complete game of the season. We can't have another 1st quarter (or 1st half) listless offense... we need to attack as early and often as we can. I know we're going to give up a big run here and there. We will need to answer.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best way to win this game is our ball control offense. If we keep their O on the sideline and their D on the field, our chances to win are vastly increased. Having a couple 8 minute, 80-yard drives could be the difference in the game, especially if our D stays fresh and makes a few stops/causes a turnover. If we can drive down the field slowly and methodically, I like our chances. If not, then I guess it depends which GT team comes out of the locker room (and which VT team for that matter).

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
One thing that I haven't seen yet but want to touch on is David Wilson. If Wilson really wants to go from a great running back to the elite level, I think this is the game he needs to do it. I almost think we need his best perfomance to date on Thursday.

We have a banged up defense that's preparing for an offense that we've struggled against. We have a first year starting quarterback. We've struggled on special teams. We're on the road at night. It's honestly the type of game that usually requires a star player to shine.

I said in the Duke thread, that Georgia Tech has not been strong at stopping the inside run. Exploiting that will be key to victory IMO. It effectively puts points on the board while it limits our chance of mistakes, shortens the game, and moves the field in our favor. It can also open up the play action game. In every scenario, successfully running the ball puts more pressure on Georgia Tech. In our history versus Al Groh, even when our offense struggles, we've been able to run the ball when we absolutely needed it in the end.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said in the Duke thread, that Georgia Tech has not been strong at stopping the inside run. Exploiting that will be key to victory IMO. It effectively puts points on the board while it limits our chance of mistakes, shortens the game, and moves the field in our favor. It can also open up the play action game. In every scenario, successfully running the ball puts more pressure on Georgia Tech. In our history versus Al Groh, even when our offense struggles, we've been able to run the ball when we absolutely needed it in the end.

I completely agree that DW needs to have a big game. And when you say that GT is weak in the middle, i don't know whether to be excited or worried. My reasoning is that to me, DW's biggest weakness is his vision. He can run for days and run through tackles, but i've seen him miss gaping holes this season. Seeing that i've never played running back (or football for that matter), i have no clue if it's easier to spot holes up the middle or along the edge. I'm really hoping it's the former, though.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Tweedy is out for this game. Kyle Fuller is expected to fill in the nickel/whip role. Cody Journell is probable which is good. I think we may need him in this one.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Tweedy is out for this game. Kyle Fuller is expected to fill in the nickel/whip role. Cody Journell is probable which is good. I think we may need him in this one.

Well that sucks. Only positive thing is GT really only has one good WR so hopefully Hosley can keep him covered.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

The way i understand it is that Fuller would have seen some time at whip whether Tweedy was available or not. IDK but i guess this is part of the defensive alignment Bud has drawn up for GT.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EB6n5.gif

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't even understand what that #... then I read some of the posts and thought "OHhhhh. Nesbitt. I thought they were trying to spell revengeisbitt(ersweet) or something any they were just illiterate or ran out of space". I felt dumb... then better about myself. I completely forgot who Nesbitt was.

Which is the way it should be.