• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GAME 10 - VT @ Georgia Tech.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your Duke game means nothing other than every winning team always has a bad game against someone they shouldn't. So having said that, I still think this game could go either way. I wouldn't bank on just watching the UVA and Miami game tapes, the team that beat Clemson bore no resemblance to the one that played the previous two, and no, it wasn't their defenses. It was more like a GT chinese fire drill.

I suspect there were some LSU players dressed out in GT uniforms, but I can't prove it. Clemson was, admittedly, the best game we have played in 2 years.

Special teams had a good day last week - meaning they went a whole game without screwing up twice.

Defense was excellent. Far better than they have been in the past.

Offense was great - barring yet another drop by Stephen Hill for a huge gain. The run wasn't there early, but it looked like the O Line finally woke up after sleeping on us for a month and decided to start making some blocks. Washington started pitching the damn ball instead of ALWAYS keeping. Seems to have regained some of his confidence.

In short - most GT fans were pleasantly surprised after seeing nothing the previous two weeks. We are eager for more. The question is - Is the TEAM eager for more?

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree that the coaches goals are just to win the ACC. If you asked them, they would say their aim is to win a national championship. Originally, consistency was the motto of Beamer. Keep the same coaches, don't make too many philosophy changes, if it ain't broke don't fix it type of thinking. He changed that this year with the coaching changes. Those were huge changes for Beamer's standards, and I don't see him making any more changes until he retires. I think these coaching changes are Beamer's last push to get a NC before he calls it quits.

Right now, I think the biggest issue is (was?) recruiting. We have shown the ability to coach and develop players at most positions. I agree with Hunz that a big issue is the Oline. However, if we can get better recruits consistently, I think this coaching staff can make a NC run. Frank knows this and these coaching changes addressed the issue (bringing in Shane, Cavanaugh recruiting coordinator, moving Stiney's recruiting area). This year's recruiting class (so far) looks very good, and I think if we can string another 1 or 2 classes like this we can make a real run. It would also help if the ACC wasn't so abysmal year in and year out.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope our preparation for this game includes this being played each and every session, because you know GT is going to pipe it in every freaking play like the last time we went there. Man, this song makes me want to throw up. We need to let the team practice for it so they'll be seeing red when they hear it in Atlanta.

Last edited by a moderator:

vtnuclearhokie

Pronounced Nuke-u-ler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope our preparation for this game includes this being played each and every session, because you know GT is going to pipe it in every freaking play like the last time we went there. Man, this song makes me want to throw up. We need to let the team practice for it so they'll be seeing red when they hear it in Atlanta.

I can't see that vid at work but I can only hope it is "All the Way Turnt Up." I hated that song when I went down to Atlanta for the game 2 years ago and that song was played for every VT 3rd down up until the ball was snapped.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see that vid at work but I can only hope it is "All the Way Turnt Up." I hated that song when I went down to Atlanta for the game 2 years ago and that song was played for every VT 3rd down up until the ball was snapped.

That's the one.

CalvinJohnson4God

Time to die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They moved on to a new song. A worse one.

CalvinJohnson4God

Time to die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never really liked the song, but that one kind of grew on me. And it sure seemed to pump the players up.

vtnuclearhokie

Pronounced Nuke-u-ler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the "dance moves" from the guy on the left, reminds me of captain lou albano

It is a good thing I do not have youtube access at work or I would have laughed very unprofessionally at both of those videos.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It is a good thing I do not have youtube access at work or I would have laughed very unprofessionally at both of those videos.

it is funny but i got in a hurry with the "captain lou" reference:ohwell:, i was actually refering to jimmy "superfly" snuka.

images

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I have to disagree that the coaches goals are just to win the ACC. If you asked them, they would say their aim is to win a national championship. Originally, consistency was the motto of Beamer. Keep the same coaches, don't make too many philosophy changes, if it ain't broke don't fix it type of thinking. He changed that this year with the coaching changes. Those were huge changes for Beamer's standards, and I don't see him making any more changes until he retires. I think these coaching changes are Beamer's last push to get a NC before he calls it quits.

^ agree. I think that winning the ACC is part of our goal, but Beamer doesnt hide the fact that he wants to win a NC either.

Right now, I think the biggest issue is (was?) recruiting. We have shown the ability to coach and develop players at most positions. I agree with Hunz that a big issue is the Oline. However, if we can get better recruits consistently, I think this coaching staff can make a NC run. Frank knows this and these coaching changes addressed the issue (bringing in Shane, Cavanaugh recruiting coordinator, moving Stiney's recruiting area). This year's recruiting class (so far) looks very good, and I think if we can string another 1 or 2 classes like this we can make a real run. It would also help if the ACC wasn't so abysmal year in and year out.

To be honest i dont like Newsome. As i've said before i just dont think he is a good fit on this staff. I do have to give him some credit though, his OL has been very good in pass protection and average or better when running from the spread. However we really seem to struggle when in I form etc, i honestly think this has a lot to do with the "smaller more athletic OL". They just dont have the size to clear out running lanes. I hate to criticize Beamer but he needs to realize this and allow Stiney/O'cain to use the spread more often. I know Frank likes the ball control/pro style offense but IMO football starts in the trenches and our "trenches" just arent built for that type of offense.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest i dont like Newsome. As i've said before i just dont think he is a good fit on this staff. I do have to give him some credit though, his OL has been very good in pass protection and average or better when running from the spread. However we really seem to struggle when in I form etc, i honestly think this has a lot to do with the "smaller more athletic OL". They just dont have the size to clear out running lanes. I hate to criticize Beamer but he needs to realize this and allow Stiney/O'cain to use the spread more often. I know Frank likes the ball control/pro style offense but IMO football starts in the trenches and our "trenches" just arent built for that type of offense.

We have had good success out of the I but it comes down to play calling. In the I, we tend to run off tackle a lot and it just hasn't been working. We don't run the dive or trap plays much. Also we need to throw out of the I more. We throw from the spread the majority of the time so when we are in the I the defense expects the run. We need more balance out of our formations. We try and run from the I, then run PA from it but you have to have success running before PA will work. Come out throwing from the I first to set up the run later.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some major defensive changes in the front 7 for this game.

VT_Football VT Football
Look for some defensive changes this week for Tech: Collins moving to DT for Maddy and Wilson starting at DE; Tyler starting at MLB

AndyBitterVT Andy Bitter
Also, Kyle Fuller will be playing nickel/whip role again. #Hokies

AndyBitterVT Andy Bitter
Jack Tyler getting most reps with first team instead of Barquell Rivers. Better vs. run. Will start vs Georgia Tech

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like we're going for more speed to defend the triple option.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
------------exum---------------whitley-------------
--hosley--------------------------------hill/bonner--
--------fuller----------edwards----tyler-------------
-----wilson-----collins------hopkins----gayle---------

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speed is fine, but if we can't defend the FB dive then it will be hard to stop the triple option regardless of speed. I like the moves though.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Tyler move but I'm iffy on the Maddy thing. I thought he as doing fine where he was at. I also think Wilson is a bit of a liability but I guess we don't have much of an option. McCray has been a disappointment so far.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Speed is great and the more of it the better, but it takes containment and not over-pursuing the dive to defend the triple option.