• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #1 - Appalachian St vs Virginia Tech

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's some good info for the first game coming up on Saturday, September 3rd:

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/notes/20110903.pdf

Note: Page 7 displays the game day dress roster for the Hokies

Side note - BeamerBall.com is indicating that Via only has a sprained knee and will attempt to play in the ECU game on September 10th.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two official visitors for this game will be:

Forty_sixand2 and Ms. Forty_sixand2: although already committed, they will be there to visit wiu fellow Hokies and tour Main Street. A Sunday trip to Dragons Tooth is also on the schedule if time and weather permits. Pictures to follow, and I will try and get an interview.

:)

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this may have been answered somewhere else, but is the ACC Network the same as Raycom?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A key battle to watch along the LOS will be between Appalachian State's Nose Tackle Dan Wylie (6-1, 305, Sr.), and Virginia Tech's Center Andrew Miller (6-4, 290, R-So.). The outcome of those battles will determine how well Tech's running game performs.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear that Via's injury is not as severe as initially thought

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
By the way, the Mountaineers have gone to a 3-4 defense. Tech has played well against this type of defense in the past. I look for the Mountaineers to sell out against the run early, but success by Tech on a few deep passes will force them to use their LBs more in pass defense. That will open up Tech's running game big-time.

Here is Appy State's starting defense:

LE – Gordy Witte (6-6, 315, Sr.)
NT – Dan Wylie (6-1, 305, Sr.)
RE – Ronald Blair (6-4, 260, Fr.)
Bandit – Lanston Tanyi (6-2, 250, Jr.)
MLB – Jeremy Kimbrough (5-11, 238, Jr.)
WLB – Brandon Grier (6-2, 230, Jr.)
SLB – John Rizor (6-2, 245, Jr.)
SS – Troy Sanders (6-0, 205, Jr.)
FS – Patrick Blalock (6-0, 200, So.)
LCB – Ed Gainey (5-11, 195, Sr.)
RCB – Demetrius McCray (6-0, 185, Jr.)

(3 seniors, 6 juniors, 1 soph, and 1 freshman)

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should be running at Ronald Blair. Smaller end and only a Fr.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We should be running at Ronald Blair. Smaller end and only a Fr.

Exactly what I'm thinking. May force them to cheat one or two of their LBs to Blair's side...which should open up their middle.

Additionally, I don't believe they have anyone who can cover David Wilson on a wheel route...I think we'll see that once or twice during the game.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unless those sizes are bait inflated, that is an NFL sized defense. I am assumin that is not all good weight, there are some speed issues or something is fishy.

Here's a highlight video of Appy State's homecoming game last year against Elon Phoenix. The Mountaineers look big and strong on defense, but a bit slow:

Mountaineer Football Highlights - Oct. 9, 2010 - YouTube

I think they moved to a 3-4 defense for the following reasons:

One, they've sacrificed speed for size, strength, and the willingness to go toe-to-toe physically with anyone. They will play smash-mouth football and attempt to disrupt our WRs by jamming them at the LOS.

Two, they have a shortage of high-quality DLs, so they picked their three best with an adequate DL 2-deep. If they're playing a true freshman at DE, then there will be a big drop-off from their starters down to the next level.

Three, they're covering for a lack of speed by their front 7. Their outside LBs are essentially smaller DEs who can rush the QB, play the run, or drop into zone coverage. But, those LBs are dead if they find themselves isolated in pass coverage against one of Tech's speedy WRs, RBs, or a TE like Malleck.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two official visitors for this game will be:

Forty_sixand2 and Ms. Forty_sixand2: although already committed, they will be there to visit wiu fellow Hokies and tour Main Street. A Sunday trip to Dragons Tooth is also on the schedule if time and weather permits. Pictures to follow, and I will try and get an interview.

:)

dragons tooth is the shit! first time i went there was also the first time i ate shrooms....made for a great trip! lol

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kind of OT but dragons tooth is one of the few local hikes ive never done, i hear it is amazing but a pretty tough climb.

vtnuclearhokie

Pronounced Nuke-u-ler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of OT but dragons tooth is one of the few local hikes ive never done, i hear it is amazing but a pretty tough climb.

The first time is always tough because you don't know where the trail ends. I was just there two weeks ago when I was in town for a wedding, and the hike seems a lot easier than when I was in undergrad.

But on the topic of game #1 I will get to watch it from my parent's house in NoVA since it is a long weekend and I would rather not watch it over the internet in Pittsburgh.

I am mildly nervous about this game, with the style of football App. State plays. An option offense early in the season doesn't sound good for the VT defense being really good at being sharp on covering.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am mildly nervous about this game, with the style of football App. State plays. An option offense early in the season doesn't sound good for the VT defense being really good at being sharp on covering.
App State has a pass heavy option though. They pass more than we do.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3