• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future Cap Planning - Trades and Releases 2015

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.

He's changed his tune the last two years and has only received one or two penalties against him. His reputation, imo, is becoming less of what the league initially set it at. All that is overblown nonsense and anyone still believing it needs to think again. I can understand Bears fans and Packers fans still thinking that way, but us Lions fans? C'mon bro?

:agree: The problem is it takes a long time to wipe off a first impression. Especially with the public.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.

He's changed his tune the last two years and has only received one or two penalties against him. His reputation, imo, is becoming less of what the league initially set it at. All that is overblown nonsense and anyone still believing it needs to think again. I can understand Bears fans and Packers fans still thinking that way, but us Lions fans? C'mon bro?

Cost us a TD last year, apparently defiant with his coach, late to meetings ect.

Just speculating, but stay with me for a second. Players voted Suh dirtiest player in the league. Lions have trouble attracting FA's. There could be a connection.

Also since Suh has come to the D we've had problems with players and discipline. Again, maybe a coincidence. Maybe not.

People are quick to blame Mayhew for not bringing in FAs, players not growing ect. If the problem is as simple as noone wanting to play with Suh, or young guys seeing him act a fool and get a pass and figure they can too, then he's not worth it. Trade him for another talent who doesn't have these problems. Peterson certainly fits that bill, or see if the Browns are still looking to shop Gordon, maybe Keenen Allen to shore up our offense.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it stands right now with Cap $ for teams that could possibly afford Suh (still need 6 mil 4 rookies)
1. NYJ 105 mil
2. Ind 117 mil
3. Cin 117 mil
4. Oak 118 mil
5. Hou 120 mil
6. Sea 121 mil
7. Jax 122 mil
8. Min 123 mil
9. Bal 123 mil

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams don't want to "play against Suh" due to his so called dirty play, however, many teams GM's/HC's would love to have Suh play for them when asked/polled.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope all of you realize that by re-signing Suh to an extension, hypothetically speaking to a 5 yr 60 mil, you still have to add in his current $ due for this year (22 mil) making it a 6 yr 82 mil contract which will avg out 13.67 per year over the life of that new deal. How are we going to afford Suh when CJ will count 20+ mil per yr in years 2015, 2016 and 2017 against the cap. That's elite QB money for CJ. It makes no sense from a financial standpoint going forward keeping Suh while remaining in cap hell. This doesn't account for other draftees that will need to be retained from 2009 thru 2013 whose contracts will be up. All UDFA are 3 yr contracts, Waddle/Fauria. It (cap hell) will never end. Last year Ansah at #5 was 4 yrs. 18 mil. Last yr, #10 Tenn Titan draft pick OG Warmack cost 4 yr 12+ mil. You have to be open minded for the future deals too. Lewand has already stated numerous times that Suh's extension wouldn't create a lot of cap space like most are thinking.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are quick to blame Mayhew for not bringing in FAs, players not growing ect. If the problem is as simple as noone wanting to play with Suh, or young guys seeing him act a fool and get a pass and figure they can too, then he's not worth it. Trade him for another talent who doesn't have these problems. Peterson certainly fits that bill, or see if the Browns are still looking to shop Gordon, maybe Keenen Allen to shore up our offense.

I know you are just speculating, but Suh has absolutely nothing to do with players not wanting to come to Detroit. One playoff win in 50 years does, as well as the perception of the city of Detroit around the US.

If anything, Suh would attract players to Detroit, just like Megatron does, as they know if they are on the defense, they will have more freedom, as Suh is facing double teams quite often.

IF the Lions were to trade Suh -- the possibility of it being for a WR, like Josh Gordon (who is one false step from a year suspension) or Keenan Allen would have to be slim to none.

No chance Detroit would trade away their best defensive player to get a WR, when they already have CJ and Tate. The main reason the defense is middle of the road and not worse is Suh. If Detroit were getting a player in return, it would HAVE to be someone on the defensive side of the ball, or Detroit would be in serious trouble defensively. It wouldn't take just one player to replace Suh, it would take a couple, because you aren't going to find another DT like him, unless you trade for Atkins or McCoy. If Detroit were to get a stud CB and then draft a DT like say Donald -- then you have two guys replacing one and the defense may actually be better, with more cap flexibility to upgrade elsewhere in 2015.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope all of you realize that by re-signing Suh to an extension, hypothetically speaking to a 5 yr 60 mil, you still have to add in his current $ due for this year (22 mil) making it a 6 yr 82 mil contract which will avg out 13.67 per year over the life of that new deal.

That is what I've been saying all along about the Suh contract extension. In reality though -- if Detroit isn't adding anymore players this year -- they can take the 22 million dollar cap hit this year and then his cap number will be normal over the length of the rest of the contract.

Unless I am mistaken, the only way his cap hit would roll over is if the Lions want to free up cap space for 2014 and structure the deal that way. From what I've read - Detroit has 1.7 or 1.9 million in cap space left and need 6 million to sign their rookies, but they said it could be done quite simply by restructuring some current contracts (not Suh's) to get the money needed.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I've been saying all along about the Suh contract extension. In reality though -- if Detroit isn't adding anymore players this year -- they can take the 22 million dollar cap hit this year and then his cap number will be normal over the length of the rest of the contract.

Unless I am mistaken, the only way his cap hit would roll over is if the Lions want to free up cap space for 2014 and structure the deal that way. From what I've read - Detroit has 1.7 or 1.9 million in cap space left and need 6 million to sign their rookies, but they said it could be done quite simply by restructuring some current contracts (not Suh's) to get the money needed.

Suh's cap hit 2014 22.412 right now or at the very least with an extension avg of 13.67 mil every year after (which we know they get back-loaded)

You're doing nothing more than swapping cap hits with Suh (possible extension ?) and CJ for the next 3 years, pretty much. Still hurting this team with cap problems.
CJ's cap hit 2014 13.058
CJ's cap hit 2015 20.558
CJ's cap hit 2016 24.008 (dead $ 12.916 mil)
CJ's cap hit 2017 21.358 (dead $ 4.858)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we get back to figuring a way to get Stafford's fatass off this team? We're wasting energy with this nonsense girls.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh at nearly 14 mil per year avg, while piling on CJ's 20+ mil cap hits or Trading Suh and alleviating his 14 mil cap and selecting at #10 DT Aaron Donald for an average of 3 mil per year for 4 years. hhhmmmm...I don't want to see Suh gone, just like many other posters, but financially speaking, it's a no-brainer.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to part ways for better days!

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smitty, you got $5 bro? I'll bet you $5 that Stafford has a better year than Luck in 2014.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Raiders said they would give up #5 and their 4th, that would be a blessing. Detroit could add two serious players at 5 and 10 ( Yes, I would like Watkins but two defensive guys would be great). Not sure why everyone is against getting out of cap hell.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Raiders said they would give up #5 and their 4th, that would be a blessing. Detroit could add two serious players at 5 and 10 ( Yes, I would like Watkins but two defensive guys would be great). Not sure why everyone is against getting out of cap hell.

THIS :10:

even if it means selecting Evans at #5 as a replacement for CJ in 2017. it could take a wr 2 years to develop as a replacement for CJ. He's not going to be elite 4ever

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smitty, you got $5 bro? I'll bet you $5 that Stafford has a better year than Luck in 2014.

By better, you had better not be talking yards. Staff can throw for 6,000 yards, but if he leads the league in fumbles again and throws more picks than he plays games his season is void. What's the criteria? Wins have to count. Luck is a lot better there. He likes to win. (ColdStone is catering Staffs wedding, that scares me.)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Criteria is a flat out better season, with wins, stats and everything included. We could have a special vote-off if you want to.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Blue,

One of the main reasons why I've been stressing getting a WR is because of situation with CJ. He will be making tons of money, he's getting beat down and he won't be Super forever. Its a pick for the future.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By better, you had better not be talking yards. Staff can throw for 6,000 yards, but if he leads the league in fumbles again and throws more picks than he plays games his season is void. What's the criteria? Wins have to count. Luck is a lot better there. He likes to win. (ColdStone is catering Staffs wedding, that scares me.)

The fucking ice cream place? C'mon Fatty McStaffy, get your shit together.

Funny his weight gets mentioned today. Saw a commercial in TV for gynecomastia(man boobs). Basically said if anyone has this from taking a certain drug(not sure which) they are guaranteed a "large cash settlement ". Maybe Staff should look into this? ;)

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Criteria is a flat out better season, with wins, stats and everything included. We could have a special vote-off if you want to.

I think we need to set the criteria now. Determine which categories determine a "better" season. With the way things go her, it may take til the first game to agree on categories for u two.