• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future Cap Planning - Trades and Releases 2015

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where we would move right up to 5 and snatch Watkins. Raiders would most likely jump at a trade for Suh in this situation. Lions could still fill the DT position with a guy like Donald and sign Fairley back if he has a decent season. This way, we don't lose a whole lot at all and gain what could be the best offense in the league.

Suh doesn't even seem that passionate about being around and Watkins has been pleading his case about playing for Detroit

You know I'd love to see Watkins in Honolulu blue and silver, but not at the expense of trading our best defensive player. Would kill this defense. Suh starts it all by demanding double teams and even triple teams.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the plays Suh has cost us, and Peterson being a top notch player and person, what is the downside? What is easier to find a d lineman or a shut down corner?

SHut down corner without a doubt. I feel AZ is not a option due to money. Haden would be ideal from a team that has money to burn or picks to give if straight out picks trade. By the thought of which is easier to find. Why would a team make that trade?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where we would move right up to 5 and snatch Watkins

I have to give you props -- You are certainly persistent on finding ways for the Lions to get Watkins.

If the Lions were to trade Suh -- they'd have to use whatever pick/picks they received to replace him. I'm thinking Mack or Clowney at #5, then either draft Donald at #10 or trade back a few picks and draft Donald.

Detroit would then have financial flexibility next year, when Suh's cap hit is gone and could find a 3rd WR or they could draft a 3rd WR.

If you take out Suh from the defense and don't upgrade multiple positions defensively -- It won't matter how good our offense is, as our defense would struggle.

Think along the lines of what TB did -- they released Revis and signed Verner to play his spot and also signed Michael Johnson. Verner isn't Revis, but Verner and upgrading the DE position actually puts TB in a better position going forward.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I'd love to see Watkins in Honolulu blue and silver, but not at the expense of trading our best defensive player. Would kill this defense. Suh starts it all by demanding double teams and even triple teams.

This thread has me really thinking. Say you traded with Jags, Browns, or Raiders. Get Watkins at 3 4 or 5 and Donald at 10. Hell straight up for picks with Browns, would Suh demand a #1 and their #2? trade values have changed with new CBA.

Only question is can Donald match Suh's presence?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to give you props -- You are certainly persistent on finding ways for the Lions to get Watkins.

If the Lions were to trade Suh -- they'd have to use whatever pick/picks they received to replace him. I'm thinking Mack or Clowney at #5, then either draft Donald at #10 or trade back a few picks and draft Donald.

Detroit would then have financial flexibility next year, when Suh's cap hit is gone and could find a 3rd WR or they could draft a 3rd WR.

Did see a mock of Lions taking Beckham from Mizzou next year. Mockers just can't get WR out of thier minds for Lions.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My bad, either I got him thinking with earlier post this morning or he saw this last night dreamed of sugar plums and WR's named Watkins

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Lions are even considering it. We would have extended and kept Fairly if they were considering trading Suh. If they are then Mayhew is bordering on Millen type incompetence. You don't let Fairly walk and then trade Suh. Even Mayhew is better than that. No sense having a shut down corner when teams can run up the middle on you all day.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, either I got him thinking with earlier post this morning or he saw this last night dreamed of sugar plums and WR's named Watkins

Funny you mention that. I literally had a dream last night that the Lions traded up to the #9 spot(dumb as shit) and drafted Watkins. He later that night got shot in the leg and it was determined he could never run in his life again.

ND806.gif

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you mention that. I literally had a dream last night that the Lions traded up to the #9 spot(dumb as shit) and drafted Watkins. He later that night got shot in the leg and it was determined he could never run in his life again.

He is a Tiger not a Spartan...

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SHut down corner without a doubt. I feel AZ is not a option due to money. Haden would be ideal from a team that has money to burn or picks to give if straight out picks trade. By the thought of which is easier to find. Why would a team make that trade?

Teams make dumb trades all the time.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or we can go with Mack at 5 and grab Evans at ten. We can find a DT later.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max, I usually agree with a lot of what u say, but this is the dumbest fucking idea imaginable. And I don't mean it to be a dick, but why on God's green Earth would trade our best defensive player who's hitting his prime?

Money, money, and money. We can't afford him, Staff, and CJ AND put a team around them. Plus Suh is an on-field distraction who is just going to get fined and fined until he changes his play and becomes ineffective, or he gets suspended for extended periods. Sell now while we can.

I like the Jags trade too if they'd go for it.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT Aaron Donald is more than worthy of the pick at #10, JMO. He may not become Suh but you sure as hell wouldn't be paying him 12+ mil a year anytime soon. A 3rd WR can be found throughout the draft.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or we can go with Mack at 5 and grab Evans at ten. We can find a DT later.

I like it a lot. Mack plus a later DT replaces Suh's production at much better money for the next 5 years and we still get the offensive upgrade we need to really make that side of the ball 'loaded'.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus Suh is an on-field distraction who is just going to get fined and fined until he changes his play and becomes ineffective, or he gets suspended for extended periods.
Disagree.

He's changed his tune the last two years and has only received one or two penalties against him. His reputation, imo, is becoming less of what the league initially set it at. All that is overblown nonsense and anyone still believing it needs to think again. I can understand Bears fans and Packers fans still thinking that way, but us Lions fans? C'mon bro?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO, but Mack will be gone before the Raider's pick at #5 either STL, Jax or Clev. Jax just re-signed Henne to a 2 year contract which enables them to look at Mettenberger in the 2nd round, possibly. I'm still a huge fan of Mack though.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just all for a finished product on offense (loaded) and one that will continue to be in the future. I'd be cool with Mack at 5, Donald at 10 and someone like Beckham or Bryant at 45.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Suh could start a lot of good things. Detroit could even trade for a top five pick and trade down from 10 and get more picks. Another 2nd or 3rd would be crazy because they already have 3 4th.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highly unlikely Odell Beckham Jr. to be there at #45 and Martavis Bryant sure as hell isn't worthy of a pick at #45 being so raw.