• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future Cap Planning - Trades and Releases 2015

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the Lions already have $113MM committed to 2015 salaries for 44 players. The Cap for 2014 is $133 million, and if we assume it grows by $5MM for 2015, that's about $25 million in space. From that, this year's and next year's rookies will eat up about $6MM, so that leaves us with $19MM of space.

From that very little dead money (only Stafford, CJ, and Ansah would generate negative dead money if released).

The Lions must have a real #1CB if they're ever going to play for a Superbowl. Joe Haden will be franchised and there is no other #1CB looming.

So, if we are to ever win, there is only one way:

Extend Suh and trade him. The Arizona Cardinals already have $135MM committed for 2015 and must find money for Peterson. Trading Suh and a first for Peterson, and taking on an aging Darnell Dockett to make the money work would do it.

We all love Suh but he's been a hothead and it's time to fish or cut bait. We can't have a team of three $20MM guys and a bunch of journeymen.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt trading Suh is in in the cards. I'd love Peterson but not at the the expense of Suh and certainly not Suh and a first. That's too much.

Regarding a CB, we need to see what Slay and the other youngins do. And that may include guys from this draft.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money is relevant. Look at how much we are paying for 3 guys. It's at least worth discussing.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been contemplating this for a while now. To me, things only get worse trying to keep Suh, so I think it is time to cut ties with him. The Lions will be better off imo and the road to the Superbowll becomes a reality.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I like Suh, his cap numbers are insane. If we could get another elite player i.e. Peterson, it could be worth it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not crazy about the idea, but we're really handicapping the rest of the roster by spending so much money on three players. If I had to chose one of the three to trade, I guess Suh would be the guy, especially for Peterson in return. I'd make that deal if it were up to me.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You feel the of the 3 big hitters Suh has most trade value? Hershel Walker style. Hard to stomach getting rid of any of them at this point. With Fairley's future up in the air would this be a smart move? I read some articles on this last week or so. Need to find them. Pat Kirwan was one of them, he is usaully a pretty good on Moving the Chains. Maybe I need to reread it. You have raised my curiousity again. I laughed at the thought last week.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im game for trading Stafford. The other two, not so much. They're actually the best at their position. Not middle of the road.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not crazy about the idea, but we're really handicapping the rest of the roster by spending so much money on three players. If I had to chose one of the three to trade, I guess Suh would be the guy, especially for Peterson in return. I'd make that deal if it were up to me.

Who impacts the game more. SUh or a CB? What $$$ will Peterson want in 2 more years when his deal is up. Are we just trading today to save money this year to have big contracts in future?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking on this, maybe Suh and a first does make sense.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the Lions already have $113MM committed to 2015 salaries for 44 players. The Cap for 2014 is $133 million, and if we assume it grows by $5MM for 2015, that's about $25 million in space. From that, this year's and next year's rookies will eat up about $6MM, so that leaves us with $19MM of space.

From that very little dead money (only Stafford, CJ, and Ansah would generate negative dead money if released).

The Lions must have a real #1CB if they're ever going to play for a Superbowl. Joe Haden will be franchised and there is no other #1CB looming.

So, if we are to ever win, there is only one way:

Extend Suh and trade him. The Arizona Cardinals already have $135MM committed for 2015 and must find money for Peterson. Trading Suh and a first for Peterson, and taking on an aging Darnell Dockett to make the money work would do it.

We all love Suh but he's been a hothead and it's time to fish or cut bait. We can't have a team of three $20MM guys and a bunch of journeymen.

I can not give up picks and Suh! Need a pick to replace him. Sign and trade with suitor who is already involved where Lions eat his cap hit of dead money this year ( this would the case right? dead money cap hit is immediate) and the new team takes over from there with money. The picks would be substantial and that is where you save money on young kids coming in.

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
player for player trades rarely ever happen.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh has had a lot of problems. His attitude on the field is poor, he has cost us points. That crap on the levy td, the stomp, groin kick all all the dirty shit. Then the shit with him disrespecting coaches, being late, I mean damn. Dropping Suh for a guy who is not a problem could not only change the attitude but the culture.

Lol now I am thinking we'd have to give up more than a first to land Peterson for Suh.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can not give up picks and Suh! Need a pick to replace him. Sign and trade with suitor who is already involved where Lions eat his cap hit of dead money this year ( this would the case right? dead money cap hit is immediate) and the new team takes over from there with money. The picks would be substantial and that is where you save money on young kids coming in.

With the plays Suh has cost us, and Peterson being a top notch player and person, what is the downside? What is easier to find a d lineman or a shut down corner?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im game for trading Stafford. The other two, not so much. They're actually the best at their position. Not middle of the road.

Stafford is a top tier QB who has been poorly coached. You'll see.