• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Bob Condotta

"One of the more interesting of the Seahawks’ potential free agents is cornerback Jeremy Lane.

Lane has technically started just six games in four years as a Seahawk.

But while not officially a starter most of the time after coming back from injury in 2015, Lane was a key to Seattle finishing a fourth straight season as the NFL’s best defense, returning to health in time for the Nov. 29 game against Pittsburgh and playing regularly the rest of the way as both an inside and an outside corner along with DeShawn Shead,

Lane can now be an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins March 9, unlike Shead, who is an exclusive rights free agent, and as such will almost certainly be back. With Richard Sherman back as one corner, Shead likely back as another, and the likes of Tharold Simon, Tye Smith and Mohammed Seisay still in the fold, the Seahawks could easily let Lane walk if he gets any kind of a significant offer.

Appearing on the Sirius XM Blitz show Thursday, Lane said that while he hopes to be back with the Seahawks, he will have to consider all offers.

“Oh yeah, of course, if the situation was right I would love to go back to the Seahawks,’’ he said. “They were the team to give me my first opportunity to showcase my skills in the NFL (drafting him in the sixth round in 2012 out of Northwestern State in Louisiana) and I appreciate them. They would be my number one choice I would go to if they were the right choice for me and my family.’’

The last part of that statement is the key one, though.

While Lane may like to be back with the Seahawks, and Seattle might like to have him back, the nature of free agency could well lead him elsewhere.

Lane suffered an ACL injury and a broken wrist after making an interception in the Super Bowl against New England, injuries that to Lane might only reinforce the temporary nature of NFL life.

In Thursday’s interview, Lane said that knowing he could be a free agent at the end of the season helped motivate him during his rehab process.

“That’s why I was training so hard to get back as quickly as possible to show the NFL that I was capable of being pretty good,’’ he said.

Lane likely did just that, with the Seahawks going 5-1 after his return, allowing 13 points or less in four of those games, a stretch that began when the team released veteran Cary Williams, who was no longer needed once Lane returned.

Lane’s success with the Seahawks assures he will get offers. What will be interesting to try to assess, though, is whether the struggles of former Seahawk Byron Maxwell in his first year in Philadelphia will cause teams to wonder whether Seahawks cornerbacks can be successful outside of Seattle. As such, Lane could be an interesting test case, and the conclusions of other teams on that topic could go a long way toward determining whether there is any chance he is back in Seattle.

Lane said he is ready for whatever comes next.

“It’s not as bad as it was coming out of college,’’ he said of the uncertainty of knowing what will come next.. “I’m excited about the process. I don’t know what’s going to happen but I did pretty well while I was with the Seahawks and I’m just back in Texas (he’s a native of Tyler, Texas) just enjoying the process.’’

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's surprising. He's in the lower tier of starting OGs.
$4M isn't what $4M used to be though. What's the cap gonna be this year -- $155M? So $4M is basically 1/40 of the cap space. If 1/53 is "average" then $4M is just a bit over that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's surprising. He's in the lower tier of starting OGs.

I think you're really overestimating guard play across the league.

IDK Sonny, Sweezy penalty prone and poor at pass blocking, yet he'll get a good offer, partially because he's a starter on a very sucessfull team. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Glowinski get on the field. He looked marvelous in his one start for Sweezy last year. Too short of a sample size to draw firm conclusions, but I sure liked what I saw.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK Sonny, Sweezy penalty prone and poor at pass blocking, yet he'll get a good offer, partially because he's a starter on a very sucessfull team. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Glowinski get on the field. He looked marvelous in his one start for Sweezy last year. Too short of a sample size to draw firm conclusions, but I sure liked what I saw.

If Glowinski is ready to step on the field and be as good as Sweezy, then he should have been starting in place of Britt most of the year.

Pass blocking guards are not really out there, IMO at least. Interior passrushers are getting more and more athletic and these guards have yet to catch up. I think Sweezy is an average starter at right guard in terms of ability. But he has two things that move him up to a good RG, nastiness, and reliability.

Yes he draws some bad flags. But he also is the first guy to punish a defender for getting to Wilson late, which is sometimes a justified flag. Breno had the same issues, and because of them I was ready for him to move on, but now I sure he was here to provide more edge to the line.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Glowinski is ready to step on the field and be as good as Sweezy, then he should have been starting in place of Britt most of the year.

Pass blocking guards are not really out there, IMO at least. Interior passrushers are getting more and more athletic and these guards have yet to catch up. I think Sweezy is an average starter at right guard in terms of ability. But he has two things that move him up to a good RG, nastiness, and reliability.

Yes he draws some bad flags. But he also is the first guy to punish a defender for getting to Wilson late, which is sometimes a justified flag. Breno had the same issues, and because of them I was ready for him to move on, but now I sure he was here to provide more edge to the line.

Cable loves guys like Breno and Sweezy, to much so IMO. I'd rather have a player like Glowinski who seems to be able to both run and pass block. We may just see Glowinski starting this year if Sweezy market is hot as it seems.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rumors are that the Jets could be releasing Breno... If so, I could see the Hawks taking another look at him...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are that the Jets could be releasing Breno... If so, I could see the Hawks taking another look at him...

Breno is the football equivalent of a hockey enforcer. Far from a great player, but after you beat him in a play, then you have to beat him in a fight.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be an interesting offseason that's for sure there are a lot of questions that's going to be addressed on both sides of the ball. Remember guys when it comes to the OL other than okung and britt the hawks have a history of drafting low end players and coaching them up to play big league football. On the defensive side of the ball they look for explosive players that are quick to cover the ball and to constantly attack

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're really overestimating guard play across the league.

No, I'm just commenting on how below average J.R. Sweezy is. I can only imagine him being paid that much on speculation that he's going to continue improving since he just started playing o-line and he's only 26.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only concern is that the Patella tear is a lot tougher on a player than the standard ACL... Hopefully he recovers 100% like most do coming off a ACL injury... Historically, guys that tore their Patella haven't comeback the same...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only concern is that the Patella tear is a lot tougher on a player than the standard ACL... Hopefully he recovers 100% like most do coming off a ACL injury... Historically, guys that tore their Patella haven't comeback the same...
Your right about comebacks from this injury. It's concerning.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$4M isn't what $4M used to be though. What's the cap gonna be this year -- $155M? So $4M is basically 1/40 of the cap space. If 1/53 is "average" then $4M is just a bit over that.

Actually that's 1/51st. The Salary cap takes into account the top 51 highest paid players on a team to get their Salary cap numbers. Just wanted to share that.