• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am basing that on NFL coaching. He has proven that he can run the rock against defenses. What he will see is more stacked boxes now that he a is a known quantity. Having game film on him will also show the type of runner he is, his tendencies. Does he just one cut n' go, does he like to bounce , is he likely to stretch a run to the outside that was meant to go inside or off tackle? These are all questions that can be answered with film & help defenses plan for him.

Uh, yeah. I'm sure coaches are going to be game planning on how to stop Rawls. He's a power back with a quick step. That's what he does and he's good at it. He isn't Lynch and he isn't AP. Who the hell is though? If he gets a hole he can blast through it. It was pretty straight forward when he was in this year and I'm sure it will be pretty straight forward next year.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, how much will it take to re-sign Okung?

4 years $40 million?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4 years $40 million?
That's about right I'm afraid and yes I can see why some feel that is to much, but stabilizing the OL is worth it. No reason the Seahawks can't try to find their next LT in the draft, they should actually, however a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. You got to protect your most valuable asset and that's your franchise QB, you don't want that in the hands of a rookie LT. Especially since the quality of OL has been decreasing in college.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4 years $40 million?
Taking things as they currently stand, resigning Okung would take about 30% of our cap room next year. Look at how many FA's we will have.
I would let him walk. Unreliable, penalty prone, and expensive. Solid, not great talent when playing though.
I understand the continuity part but we will be in better position than last year. Tender Lewis and Bailey as RFA's. Attempt to resign Sweezy-I think we get that done. Hoping $5M per year???
If we can accomplish that, the LT position is the main position to address.
The coaches have an idea if the plan is to move Gilliam to LT. He seems quick enough to handle the position. He has lots to learn though but he looks like a great project. Might add by a low priced FA or the draft. Bailey is the emergency plan.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking things as they currently stand, resigning Okung would take about 30% of our cap room next year. Look at how many FA's we will have.
I would let him walk. Unreliable, penalty prone, and expensive. Solid, not great talent when playing though.
I understand the continuity part but we will be in better position than last year. Tender Lewis and Bailey as RFA's. Attempt to resign Sweezy-I think we get that done. Hoping $5M per year???
If we can accomplish that, the LT position is the main position to address.
The coaches have an idea if the plan is to move Gilliam to LT. He seems quick enough to handle the position. He has lots to learn though but he looks like a great project. Might add by a low priced FA or the draft. Bailey is the emergency plan.

Guess we see how this goes. Okung may very well be to expensive to resign, if that happens I don't see how this OL will play as good as this year.......and they didn't play well this year. Finally started improving in the latter part of the season, but far from a good OL still. Lose your starting LT ( who is actually the best linemen the Seahawks have ), a position that is almost as hard to fill as a QB and it doesn't bode good at all, but hey....they'll save some money, whoopee.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unrestricted Free Agents:
Bryce Brown, RB - Don't care
Chase Coffman, TE - Had a couple of flashes. I would be fine with him coming back. Or not.
Demarcus Dobbs, DE - Decent role player
Bruce Ivin, LB - I think it is time to say goodbye to Mr. Irvin. Good player but unless he is going to be much cheaper than I expect, he is a cap casualty.
Fred Jackson, RB - Don't care.
Tarvaris Jackson, QB - I would like to keep him
Lemuel Jeanpierre, C - I would like to keep him
Jermaine Kearse, WR - I would like to keep him at the right price.
Jeremy Lane, CB - Definitely would like him back
Ricardo Lockette, WR - Don't care.
Anthony McCoy, TE - Don't care.
Brandon Mebane, DT - Resign him at the right price.
Michael Morgan, LB - Don't care
Russell Okung, LT - Unless he is much cheaper than I expect, he should walk. He is not an elite LT.
Ahtyba Rubin, DT - I really want to see us resign him
Jon Ryan, P - Resign him.
DeShawn Shead, CB/S - Resign him
JR Sweezy, RG - Resign him
Will Tukuafu, FB - Probably cheap enough to keep

Restricted Free Agents:
Alvin Bailey, OT - Resign him. He provides depth.
Derrick Coleman, FB - Don't care
Cooper Helfet, TE - Don't care
Patrick Lewis, C - Definitely resign him
Christine Michael, RB - Resign him for a reasonable price.
Nick Moody, LB - Don't care.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:
Marcus Burley, CB -
AJ Francis, DT
Eric Pinkins, LB
Mohammed Seisay, CB
Steven Terrell, CB
Jesse Williams, DT

All of the exclusive rights guys are people we should keep mainly because they are cheap. If they are healthy.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we see how this goes. Okung may very well be to expensive to resign, if that happens I don't see how this OL will play as good as this year.......and they didn't play well this year. Finally started improving in the latter part of the season, but far from a good OL still. Lose your starting LT ( who is actually the best linemen the Seahawks have ), a position that is almost as hard to fill as a QB and it doesn't bode good at all, but hey....they'll save some money, whoopee.
Harold, you know it is not about saving $, it is about spending it properly.
As a total guess, using the players that flyerhawk wishes to keep, let's throw a wild guess at what it will take to keep some of these guys. We have about $30M in room. Granted, this illustration is looking only at potential cap hit for 2016.
UFA's
Dobbs $750k?
TJ $1.6M?
Lem $425k?
Kearse $3.0M?
Lane $2.4?
Mebane $2.5M? He might walk for that
Rubin $3.5M?
Ryan $1.6M?
Shead $2.4M?
Sweezy $5.0M?
Tukuafu $700k
RFA's
Bailey $750K?
Lewis $2.5M? offer 2nd round tender and hope he doesn't get signed.
Michael $800k?
ERFA's
Burley $650k?

Just playing with figures these totals add to $28.575 million in cap hit.
I have not added for Okung, Irvin, and the 2016 draft class.
I have not subtracted for possible waivers/cuts/trades for Marshawn, Graham, Kam, or Hausch ($3.525 cap hit for 2016).
Again, I am just playing with #'s and I am sure there are lots of inaccuracies but I wanted to illustrate a quick look at our situation.

I'm sure bjstoker could shed some light on all of this.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harold, you know it is not about saving $, it is about spending it properly.
As a total guess, using the players that flyerhawk wishes to keep, let's throw a wild guess at what it will take to keep some of these guys. We have about $30M in room. Granted, this illustration is looking only at potential cap hit for 2016.
UFA's
Dobbs $750k?
TJ $1.6M?
Lem $425k?
Kearse $3.0M?
Lane $2.4?
Mebane $2.5M? He might walk for that
Rubin $3.5M?
Ryan $1.6M?
Shead $2.4M?
Sweezy $5.0M?
Tukuafu $700k
RFA's
Bailey $750K?
Lewis $2.5M? offer 2nd round tender and hope he doesn't get signed.
Michael $800k?
ERFA's
Burley $650k?

Just playing with figures these totals add to $28.575 million in cap hit.
I have not added for Okung, Irvin, and the 2016 draft class.
I have not subtracted for possible waivers/cuts/trades for Marshawn, Graham, Kam, or Hausch ($3.525 cap hit for 2016).
Again, I am just playing with #'s and I am sure there are lots of inaccuracies but I wanted to illustrate a quick look at our situation.

I'm sure bjstoker could shed some light on all of this.

Maybe it just me, but IMO many on that list are expendable. The more valuable they'll try to keep.

IDK, I need someone to convince me that the OL won't be worse than it is, next year, by letting Okung walk.

Last edited:

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know absolutely nothing about the college game anymore. Any strong legged punters on the horizon? I love Ryan, but that's a million we could save by paying a kid.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB
Russell Wilson
Tarvaris Jackson

HB
Thomas Rawls
Marshawn Lynch
Fred Jackson
Christine Michael
Bryce Brown

FB
Will Tukuafu
Derrick Coleman

WR
Doug Baldwin
Kevin Smith
Ricardo Lockette

WR
Jermaine Kearse
Kasen Williams

WR
Tyler Lockett
Paul Richardson

TE
Jimmy Graham
Luke Willson
Cooper Helfet
Anthony McCoy
Chase Coffman

LT
Russell Okung
Alvin Bailey

LG
Justin Britt
Kristjan Sokoli

C
Patrick Lewis
Lemuel Jeanpierre

RG
JR Sweezy
Mark Glowinski

RT
Gary Gilliam

RDE
Cliff Avril
Cassius Marsh

RDT
Brandon Mebane
Jordan Hill
Jesse Williams

LDT
Ahtyba Rubin
AJ Francis

LDE
Michael Bennett
Frank Clark
Demarcus Dobbs

SLB
Bruce Irvin
Mike Morgan

MLB
Bobby Wagner
Kevin Pierre-Louis
Nick Moody

WLB
KJ Wright
Brock Coyle
Eric Pinkins

RCB
DeShawn Shead
Marcus Burley

LCB
Richard Sherman
Ty Smith

NCB
Jeremy Lane
Mohammed Seisay

FS
Earl Thomas
Steven Terrell

SS
Kam Chancellor
Kelcie McCray

K
Steven Hauschka

P
Jon Ryan

LS
Clint Gresham

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Above is an estimated depth chart as it was this season - red bolded players will be free agents. I estimate, that through either re-signing our guys, free agency and the draft, the Hawks need at least -

#2 QB
#3 HB
FB
WR
#3 TE
LT
C
RG
2 DT
LB
2 CB
P

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
# 2 QB

Free Agents:

Tarvaris Jackson -
It would be easy just to re-sign the 32 year old veteran. He knows the system in Seattle as well as anyone. He's had little playing time since Russell came into the league, so there's no guarantees that if handed the reigns due to injury, that he could perform. He's popular in the lockerroom, and the players already like him. Should cost $1.5 -2.0 million.

Matt Hasselbeck - The nostalgic pick, Hasselbeck will be 41 years old next year. He did show that he could still play this past season, throwing for 1700 yards and a 84.0 rating in 8 starts. It would be nice to bring the only other QB to take the Hawks to the Super Bowl to finish his career in Seattle, but how much interest is involved on both sides is uncertain. Should cost $1.5-2.0 million.

Charlie Whitehurst - Not exactly the type of player that people would want to see come back - let alone have start for us in a pinch, but he has been here before and Pete liked him enough to keep him a couple seasons. Didn't play much this past season, but he did have a good year in 5 starts with Tennessee in 2014. He'll be 34 next year. Should cost $1 million.

Draft:

Brandon Doughty -
Not as mobile as our current QBs (at all) but he's got accuracy and a willingness to fit the ball into his WRs. He did rely a lot on screens and short passes, but led the nation in yards and TDs each of the last 2 seasons. Would be a mid to late round selection.

Cody Kessler - Long time starter at USC, Kessler has a lot of experience in a pro style offense. He has good measurables, but has shown a lack of confidence and doesn't like pressure. Does not have the mobility that our current QBs have. Would be a late round selection.

Vernon Adams - Mobile quarterback who spent most of his collegiate career at Eastern Washington before transferring to Oregon to get better NFL prospects. Had a decent season. He's accurate and has decent arms strength. Has good mobility, but prefers to throw the ball. Should be a late round selection

Chuckie Keeton - Very good mobility with good accuracy and arm strength. Can be a massive threat when running the ball, and also extends plays to give receivers time to get open. Got a 5th year in college after season ending injuries in 2013 and 2014, but suffered a third season ending injury in 2015. Should be an UDFA.

Taysom Hill - Mobile QB who can break tackles and is difficult to bring down. Is an inconsistent passer, and has had some very serious injury issues in his collegiate career. Very competitive. Would most likely be an UDFA.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 HB

Free Agents:

Fred Jackson -
Despite not getting many touches, Jackson was a pretty solid 3rd down back for us. He's an intelligent player who's experience makes it easy for him to diagnose ways to be useful. He's a threat as a pass catcher, and a good protector. He will be 35, and did show that age is starting to catch up with him. Should cost $650,000.

Christine Michael - Everyone on here knows of Michael's struggles and lack of success in Seattle his first time around. But, in the 4 games he played significant amounts of time since coming back, he ran for 262 yards (a pace of 1048 over an entire season). Even with fumble concerns, he's only had 1 fumble his entire career (132 touches). Isn't much of a receiving threat, but his protection skills have improved drastically. Would really only be an option if Lynch retires and he would be looking at the back up HB position, and not the 3rd down position. Should cost $500,000.

Robert Turbin - If early reports and speculations are to be believed, Seattle really didn't want to lose Turbin - hey just gambled with him and lost. He's familiar with the offense, and has proven to be a very good change of pace back who has skills out of the backfield, has good protection skills and is willing to do whatever is asked of him. Should cost $650,000.

Jacquizz Rodgers - This would be a purely receiving option. Though not a bad blocker, he just doesn't have the size to be much more than a slow down obstacle. Coming off injury, he could be looking for a prove it deal. Has speed and elusiveness in the open field that would make it difficult for defenses to ignore him on passing downs. Should cost $650,000.

Reggie Bush - Getting long in the tooth, and coming off a knee injury, Bush may be looking to go into the twilight of his career with his old college coach. No longer the threat he once was, Bush is basically just a 3rd down back. He would fill in the role that Jackson played this last year. Should cost $1 million.

Draft:

Dwayne Washington -
You all probably know him a lot better than I do. Should be an UDFA.

Jonathan Williams - Missed entire 2015 season due to injury. Runs physically, though at times too upright. Not much of a receiver out of the backfield. Should be a mid to late round selection.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ashamed to admit I did. The backup QB market is thin, and I felt he was familiar enough with the offense PC may think to give him another shot.

I was just giving you a bad time... I like Tjax... I have never been a fan of Clipboard Jesus the moment we signed him in the first place... I don't know what he brings to the table in a backup... IMO, he's just not a very good backup... I'd rather have Tjax or a 41 year old Hass...

If Tjax isn't wanting to come back, I'd rather sign a guy like, Matt Moore, B. Gradkowski,

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 HB

Free Agents:

Fred Jackson -
Despite not getting many touches, Jackson was a pretty solid 3rd down back for us. He's an intelligent player who's experience makes it easy for him to diagnose ways to be useful. He's a threat as a pass catcher, and a good protector. He will be 35, and did show that age is starting to catch up with him. Should cost $650,000.

Christine Michael - Everyone on here knows of Michael's struggles and lack of success in Seattle his first time around. But, in the 4 games he played significant amounts of time since coming back, he ran for 262 yards (a pace of 1048 over an entire season). Even with fumble concerns, he's only had 1 fumble his entire career (132 touches). Isn't much of a receiving threat, but his protection skills have improved drastically. Would really only be an option if Lynch retires and he would be looking at the back up HB position, and not the 3rd down position. Should cost $500,000.

Robert Turbin - If early reports and speculations are to be believed, Seattle really didn't want to lose Turbin - hey just gambled with him and lost. He's familiar with the offense, and has proven to be a very good change of pace back who has skills out of the backfield, has good protection skills and is willing to do whatever is asked of him. Should cost $650,000.

Jacquizz Rodgers - This would be a purely receiving option. Though not a bad blocker, he just doesn't have the size to be much more than a slow down obstacle. Coming off injury, he could be looking for a prove it deal. Has speed and elusiveness in the open field that would make it difficult for defenses to ignore him on passing downs. Should cost $650,000.

Reggie Bush - Getting long in the tooth, and coming off a knee injury, Bush may be looking to go into the twilight of his career with his old college coach. No longer the threat he once was, Bush is basically just a 3rd down back. He would fill in the role that Jackson played this last year. Should cost $1 million.

Draft:

Dwayne Washington -
You all probably know him a lot better than I do. Should be an UDFA.

Jonathan Williams - Missed entire 2015 season due to injury. Runs physically, though at times too upright. Not much of a receiver out of the backfield. Should be a mid to late round selection.

Rawls and Michaels are two I'd like to keep on the roster but if we could land Turbin or Rodgers, I'd rather move on from Michaels... Turbin is solid in this system... We missed him this year...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rawls and Michaels are two I'd like to keep on the roster but if we could land Turbin or Rodgers, I'd rather move on from Michaels... Turbin is solid in this system... We missed him this year...

I'm all for Turbin. I think he's a lot more solid a running back than he's given credit for. I think he'd be an upgrade over everyone available in the reserve RB role, including Jackson.Rodgers I remember mostly from college.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it just me, but IMO many on that list are expendable. The more valuable they'll try to keep.

IDK, I need someone to convince me that the OL won't be worse than it is, next year, by letting Okung walk.
The OL came on in the 2nd half of the season. If Okung leaves I would expect it to take a dropoff off with a savings of many millions to spend elsewhere.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FB

Free Agents:

Will Tukuafu -
Tukuafu has been a great lead blocker. He can open holes where no hole can possibly be. It's like having an extra lineman in there. He also brings the ability to play DT to the mix, which cannot be understated when the team has been limited with injuries at that position. Should cost around $700,000.

Derrick Coleman - Coleman is an adequate lead blocker who gets the job done - but won't create space like Tukuafu can. He is more versatile as an offensive weapon, and can create some mismatches that way. He's been solid, but he lost his starting job, and most of his playing time to Tukuafu. Should cost $500,000.

Mike Tolbert - If you gave the blocking ability of Tukuafu and the running of Coleman, you might end up with something similar to Tolbert. He's one of the best in the business, but if he does leave Carolina it'll be a hefty sum. Could cost $3 - 3.5 million.

Draft:

Glen Gronkowski -
Mainly a lead blocker, the younger brother of Gronk could be a solid lead blocker in the NFL for one of those teams who still use a lead blocker. He could be a much cheaper and younger option to replace the FB tandem we've been using. Should be a late round selection.

Devon Johnson - Though a TB in college, Pete may want to try what he did with Coleman and Ware a few years ago and convert a bigger TB into a FB. Johnson is a good blocker already and is very physical, so it shouldn't be too big a stretch to move him positions. Should be a late round selection.