• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football Recruiting

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife always does that. No chips/fries/etc. but will pick off of MY plate. I'll buy you your own flipping fries, JUST LEAVE MINE ALONE!

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why anyone would want to go to a school that is known for offering 25 scholarships when they only have 12 available. Not only are you competing for one of the 25, but you have all of the current guys on scholarship competing. At least when a Big 10 offers you one, you have it.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife always does that. No chips/fries/etc. but will pick off of MY plate. I'll buy you your own flipping fries, JUST LEAVE MINE ALONE!

Yep, with 2 daughters, I am unlikely to get any, so I always order a large. It's ok when you are dating them cause you need those bonus points for later, but even then, I ordered a large cause I knew...these days I just buy her fries anyway and then I eat the rest of hers when she can't finish...that is if the kids haven't scarfed em down already.

My oldest daughter starts eating at 3 and stops at bedtime...12 year old, can't get enough food and she is skinny as all get out.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Ross flips back to Iowa before signing LOI, what do you say? Wonder if Iowa will keep recruiting him even still...

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope Iowa would have the balls to say "Sorry, that ship has sailed" and move on. Truth is, they'd welcome him back with open arms.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly I would almost think you have to, 4-5 star Iowa linemen do not come around that often

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gengljer,

You touch on a precise point here: over-signing recruits. Saban has a pipeline to that juco school in Iowa (IA Western I think) in the hopes of getting those players next year...then changes his mind. Iowa St picked up a couple of recruits this year that were Alabama signees.

I still firmly believe that rules need to change regarding this. Coaches should only be able to sign 21 recruits per year. No more...no less. If a player is ineligible, he burns up his eligibility by becoming eligible and then he gets to play. That one rule change would change the entire landscape of college football. Coaches would be forced to really know their recruits and sign the ones that can be cleared immediately.

Not to mention the fact that the SEC has been over-signing for years. That fact has probably contributed to the run of national championships that the SEC has won in a row. Iowa would be better of KF would over-sign. Bring in more recruits that benefit from a redshirt and training program...most importantly, the competition in practice would be stronger!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoops, I get the no more, but no less? What if you don't have the scholarships available, such as Penn State and can only sign say 15? Similar if your graduating class is small...

Would you extend that same principle to basketball? I don't think anyone oversigns in bball, but there might be...you are right though, as a practice, it needs to stop. You get what you get and don't throw a fit about it.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have known better than to get excited about that early verbal....

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkeye,

Teams on sanctions would have their recruiting cap lowered. No team could go over 21. The practice of (Saban's) of signing and sending ends. Those recruits that Saban wants to stay away from other SEC programs is unethical. And really, this would be phased in with the next recruiting class. And in the 5th year, all programs have 105 scholarships with 84 active players on game day.

Basketball is a different sport to deal with for the simple fact that players can jump after just one season. Football has a problem with that. For basketball, I would propose that all programs get 15 scholarships to give out: 3 can be redshirted; 12 are active. Having said that, I would need to give this more thought....look at the way Calipari recruits...

Hard caps simply makes coaches know the academic capabilities of their recruits. Graduating high school seniors must ensure that they are eligible to play immediately. As a kicker to this, all scholarship athletes must take a full load of classes, and pass those classes, to be eligible. That requires weekly academic grade reports for the athletic department - improved monitoring. I'm not out to crush the football programs of most southern schools...I'm putting an emphasis on academic learning in a declared major.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Jackson, a cornerback from Lake Dallas High School in Corinth, Texas, announced on his Twitter account today that he had committed to Iowa’s football program.
The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder, who visited the Iowa campus earlier this month, selected the Hawkeyes over Colorado State and Nevada. He is believed to be the 13th commitment in Iowa’s recruiting class of 2014.

From Hawk Central...

YES, we are still the kings of beating out schools in the Mountain West!!! LOL, oh well, the kid is from Texas, he knows how to play football. He is NR on Scout and assume Rivals as well. We did get Aaron Mends recently as well, a 2 star from KC. Linebacker...Scout says
Aaron Mends is a physical running back with good quickness, toughness and acceleration. He is also big hitting run stopper on defense with the ability to cover backs and tight ends.He also has great strength and reports a 325lb bench press and 555lb squat.
Kid can lift some weight at least.

Shaping up to be another stellar class lined up with 2 and 3 star kids who will grow into the Hawkeye mold. Or they might just grow mold who knows...sorry folks, frustrated that we never get the high profile kids. I know stars mean nothing and a kid from Texas usually can really play ball and this KC kid looks like he will blossom.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Hawk Central...

YES, we are still the kings of beating out schools in the Mountain West!!! LOL, oh well, the kid is from Texas, he knows how to play football. He is NR on Scout and assume Rivals as well. We did get Aaron Mends recently as well, a 2 star from KC. Linebacker...Scout says Kid can lift some weight at least.

Shaping up to be another stellar class lined up with 2 and 3 star kids who will grow into the Hawkeye mold. Or they might just grow mold who knows...sorry folks, frustrated that we never get the high profile kids. I know stars mean nothing and a kid from Texas usually can really play ball and this KC kid looks like he will blossom.

I remember when we used to and then they'd all get thrown in jail

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have not really heard much in recruiting news lately, anyone else hear anything?

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I need to ask more often, Marcel Joly committed today, DB from Maryland (just hope he isn't going to pull a Coker) offers from MD and Vandy and Temple as well

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we have picked up a couple more kids since my last post here, can't recall all of the names, but hoping the way we ended the season pays dividends. I know we lost Ross Pussbackhair but anyone who wants to play hard nosed football should be looking to head our way.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a QB Jack Beneventi, committed today, class of 2015 though, still in the hunt for Tyler Wiegers I guess, it's interesting a lot of posts about these kids always show them in Iowa gear, or whatever school gear...assuming they get it given to them free, must be nice to be a major recruit, go around the country and get enough clothes to cover a small army

I know that we are still going after Adonis Jennings, Rutgers decommit too and also saw we are looking at Trevon Young again, interesting there, kid has atoned I guess

I haven't kept up with all the latest, but think we are at 17 right now...