• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Half Grades

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Rob Rang:

Russell Wilson's reliance on improvisation makes him one of the league's most entertaining (but at times frustrating) quarterbacks to watch. Simply put, one can't grade him the same way you do classic pocket passers like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Wilson currently has a 95.0 QB Rating, which is the same as what he held a year ago. He's completed a career-high 68.8% of his passes, thus far, and is on pace for a new high in passing yards with an average of 234.75 yards per game. His touchdowns, however, are down (nine passing and zero rushing) and his turnovers are up (six interceptions, three fumbles).

Wilson is as much to blame as any member of the Seahawks for the club's early struggles. He's missed wide-open targets, on occasion, and has thrown a few inexplicable interceptions into coverage, including inside the red zone where he'd previously been at his best. Wilson has been too quick to vacate the pocket and scramble on planned passing plays and has appeared hesitant, at times, to keep the ball himself on read-options.

While Wilson deserves as much blame as anyone for Seattle's four losses, he also deserves a great deal of credit for Seattle's victories. The resiliency he showed in the win over the Dallas Cowboys, for example, was key to Seattle's win. The 17-play drive that resulted in Steven Hauschka's game-winning field was mostly Wilson at his best, scrambling when necessary and delivering pin-point accurate passes to a variety of targets. It is understandable that Wilson doesn't keep the ball often on read-options. He's typically handing it off to arguably the NFL's top running back in Marshawn Lynch and has absorbed plenty of punishment already this season. He has, after all, absorbed an NFL-worst 31 sacks so far.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just don't find RW's style of play frustrating at all. Not even a little bit. He isn't perfect and has some things he can improve, but there's no one else I enjoy watching more. You never know what he's going to do, hardly anyone else in the league can do some of the things he does, and he plays for my favorite team. And he's a winner. Not much there to be frustrated with, but that's just me.

Also, he doesn't have a 95 QB Rating. I believe Carson Palmer has the league's best QBR, and it's like 86. RW may have a 95 Passer Rating though. Fans get QBR and Passer Rating confused all the time, but if you're getting paid to talk about football then you should get it straight. C'mon, Rang.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, he doesn't have a 95 QB Rating. I believe Carson Palmer has the league's best QBR, and it's like 86. RW may have a 95 Passer Rating though. Fans get QBR and Passer Rating confused all the time, but if you're getting paid to talk about football then you should get it straight. C'mon, Rang.

Technically, passer rating has been known as both passer rating and QB rating (I always used the latter). QBR is actual Total Quarterback Rating, the word total added to distinguish it from the previous formula. In fact, the use of passer rating instead of quarterback rating has only gain widespread popularity since ESPN developed QBR. So the author of the piece is using the correct statistic - just to be nitpicky.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, passer rating has been known as both passer rating and QB rating (I always used the latter). QBR is actual Total Quarterback Rating, the word total added to distinguish it from the previous formula. In fact, the use of passer rating instead of quarterback rating has only gain widespread popularity since ESPN developed QBR. So the author of the piece is using the correct statistic - just to be nitpicky.
Yeah, I dunno if I agree. I've never heard "QB Rating" until ESPN's stat. It was always passer rating. putting the word "total" in front of it doesn't change much.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I dunno if I agree. I've never heard "QB Rating" until ESPN's stat. It was always passer rating. putting the word "total" in front of it doesn't change much.

Agree or not, it's the most common term I heard/used until ESPN came up with QBR, and I spent the majority of my youth sitting in my bedroom mashing up sports statistics and figuring out their formulas (especially QB Rating). But, since I never expect anyone to believe me just for my own memories - here's 3 examples to show what I'm talking about:

1 - If you go to pro-football-reference and hover your mouse icon over the red RATE in the top row of the statistic bracket - a text box will appear calling it Quarterback Rating (exact quote, "Quarterback Rating, see glossary for details. Different ratings are used for NFL and NCAA. Minimum 1500 pass attempts to qualify for career leader). Russell Wilson NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

2 - "Passer rating (also known as quarterback rating, QB rating, or passing efficiency in college football) is a measure of the performance of passers, primarily quarterbacks, in American football and Canadian football. There are two formulae currently in use: one used by both the National Football League (NFL) and Canadian Football League (CFL), and the other used in NCAA football. Passer rating is calculated using a player's passing attempts, completions, yards, touchdowns, and interceptions. Since 1973, passer rating has been the official formula used by the NFL to determine its passing leader." As per wikipedia's entry for this statistic. Passer rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3 - 1990 Pro Set Joe Montana Player of the Year card (#2). Back reads: "Record setting 1989 season earned him first Miller Lite NFL Player of Year Trophy...Completed 70.2 percent of his passes for 3521 yards, 26 touchdowns, and only 8 interceptions while compiling 112.4 quarterback rating, on all-time NFL best..." http://www.mjschaffer.com/img/proset/joe-montana-error-pro-set.jpg

Sports cards are probably my single most influential medium when it come to this topic - cause I was a nerd who sat with a pad of paper, a pen, a calculator and a stack of sports cards and just played around with sports statistics for hours upon hours. I had even wanted nothing more than to be a sports statistician.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never doubt blstoker, he'll have facts and stats and such to back him up.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, fair enough. For me, I'll just continue to call Passer Rating Passer Rating so someone reading knows I'm talkinga about Passer Rating and not QBR.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Sherman back to his usual self

How quickly 'fans' forget.

"Richard Sherman has not been his usual self this season. Heading into the game Sunday against the Cowboys, teams throwing at him this season had a passer rating of 100.3, or only slightly worse than when targeting teammate Cary Williams."

Hey, great game against Bryant don't get me wrong. Has been statistically terrible prior to it.

Richard Sherman has been targeted 26 times. That equals roughly 3 targets a game.

Teams simply don't throw at him. He had one "bad" game against the Packers in which the Packers had two free plays and exploited the Seahawks defense on them.

Honestly I think it is a toss up between Bennet, Avril, Wright, and Sherman as to who is playing the best for the team this year.

Be very careful with judgment stats when it comes to corners. They are often HIGHLY misleading.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be very careful with judgment stats when it comes to corners. They are often HIGHLY misleading.
Yeah, passer rating against a CB is vulnerable to that because you can shut out your opponent a few games in a row due to lack of targets and then have 1 pass complete to result in a high passer rating. Sherman is having a great year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good ratings, Stoker, as always. Disagree with a few so I'll just go here with them.

Russell Wilson - B His ability to extend plays that were blown up by a non-existent OL has been remarkable at times this season. OTOH, his quick read passing has been spotty in my opinion. And while I lay the bulk of fault for our horrible RZ offense on Bevell(which I rarely do), I do think that RW hasn't executed well in the RZ this season

Marshawn Lynch - C+ Injuries have hampered him as has a poor OL. But he has been inconsistent this year as well.

OL - D - After 4 games it was unquestionably an F-. It has improved over the past few games. If they can cut down on the number of meltdown plays they may even be a mediocre line at time point.

Jimmy Graham - B -His general play has been fine but he has been invisible in the Red Zone and I don't know why.

Doug Baldwin - C - He's just not a No. 1 receiver. Not his fault that we don't have a true No 1 receiver

Jermaine Kearse - C- Largely invisible this season.

Tyler Lockett - A- He has been arguably our best offensive weapon, which is telling you how poor our offense has been this year. Future looks bright for him.

Chris Matthews D Not sure what is going on with him. Seems like getting snaps is a problem.

Michael Bennett - B+ Has been very good this year but has had some dumb penalties.

Cliff Avril - A This is arguably his finest season for us. His sack numbers are down but his pressure numbers are great(3rd in the NFL in hurries) and he has had moments of being absolutely dominant.

Bobby Wagner B Good season so far. Nothing exceptional and he had a game or two early on where he was a little off but generally strong.

KJ Wright A- He's having his best season for us which is pretty impressive given how good has been. The guy is a one man screen destroyer.

Bruce Irvin - B- Not as high on him as Stoke is. He's been pretty solid but that's about it.

Cary Williams - C-/D+ He has had some atrocious games but generally has been decent. I think the team realizes now he just can't cover the elite guys.

Richard Sherman - A- The only real criticism of Sherm is that his normally reliable hands have dropped a couple of picks. Otherwise he is doing what he always does, shuts down a side of the field.

Earl Thomas B- I feel he is still recovering from his off season surgery. He isn't playing badly but not up to the standard we usually expect.

Cam Chancellor C+ He is starting to get into rhythm but it was a rough transition

Steven Hauschka A+ Kicking deep kickoffs and has made every field goal attempt. Can't ask for more from him

Jon Ryan - B Doing his job but not quite the weapon he was a couple of years ago

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, passer rating against a CB is vulnerable to that because you can shut out your opponent a few games in a row due to lack of targets and then have 1 pass complete to result in a high passer rating. Sherman is having a great year.

Also, the grades are really difficult to asses sometimes. There was one play early in the season, can't remember which game may have been the Packer game where the Seahawks were playing Cover 3. In a Cover 3 the outside corners are supposed to be responsible for a 1/3 of the field. Which means that a post pattern isn't really their problem. So someone did exactly that and got a big gainer and the announcers were saying that Sherman got beat. He didn't. The Safety did.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think Wilson should have spent his bye week with Graham and the other receivers working on their game instead of on a beach in Mexico with his girlfriend?
:L

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think Wilson should have spent his bye week with Graham and the other receivers working on their game instead of on a beach in Mexico with his girlfriend?

No. As far as I know, bye weeks are usually used for taking a break and family time.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. As far as I know, bye weeks are usually used for taking a break and family time.

That's what most guys do. But if Wilson has a piss poor game this Mexico trip will definitely come up as one of the reasons why.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what most guys do. But if Wilson has a piss poor game this Mexico trip will definitely come up as one of the reasons why.

What if he has a great game? Will we say he needs to go on vacation more often?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These guys needed a break, they've been going at it since the summer time and this little spell should provide fresher bodies, fresher minds and better play.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone here doubt that Wilson is a hard worker? I don't think so, shoot let him have his off time with his women. Everybody deserves to have that for God's sake.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone here doubt that Wilson is a hard worker? I don't think so, shoot let him have his off time with his women. Everybody deserves to have that for God's sake.
It's called the off season, and his is going to be longer than he remembers over the last two years if they don't buckle down and start playing a LOT better on offense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called the off season, and his is going to be longer than he remembers over the last two years if they don't buckle down and start playing a LOT better on offense.
Actually I think it's called the bye week, players use it to relax and get healthy in both body and mind. Fans should also .