• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Byfield

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was from back in off-season. I mentioned that I expected to get at least 75 games and get 15-18 goals and 30-35 "points." I actually meant to say 30-35 assists.

He's at the 18 goal mark and I full expect him to hit 25 goals by the end of the year. Needs 6 more assist to hit 30 so at least for me he is where I expected him to be.
I know most everyone else has much higher expectations for him because he was a 2nd overall pick. I honestly think he's on schedule. Not ahead of schedule where most think he should be.

What I saw after the Hodgson hit scared me a bit. The completely scared shitless look on Clark's face as Stone grabbed and the way he was just holding onto Stone's left arm almost begging him to not hurt him was scary. Having said that I hope it's just because he (Clark) is coming off and injury and was just being careful. He turtled a few times after that as well when things got chippy. Saw a once or twice last year during a scrum when he played his 9 games with in the NHL.

All that said I'm not as down on the Kings prospects as some of you are. Especially the Byfield hate kind of baffles me. I know we all want him to score more but the dude is still a baby. He's younger than Laferriere, Kaliyev, Turcotte, Andre Lee, Fagemo, Akil Thomas and Tyler Madden and I may have missed some. IF he's not at around 15-18 goals and 30-35 points at the end of this year having played at least 75 games then I would say be worried. Other than that I'm not ready to give up on Byfield. The kid lost 20 lbs last year when I was sick. That's not something you can easily come back from.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, you know PLG got ran out of Columbus and branded a bust and not good with those same #'s and a regressing trouble maker that was struggling at the same age as a 3rd pick...just sayin.

Buster has played much better imo and even later in the season and during the losing streak even tho he wasnt getting points. I hope he continues to improve and while your assessment looks pretty spot on, i think he will get even more than that if him and PLG continue to play well together.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more than conceding Buster has improved X, but by no means am I going to say he has arrived. He's been better as far as my assessment goes.

Consistency is still huge, and if you look at his points, he gets them in bunches and then disappears. I'm very happy to see him make the strides he has, but production wise even with his uptick this season he still is nowhere near his draft position peers.

I'm hoping that consistency comes, and he has definitely stepped up his game this season. But he has work to do to still.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more than conceding Buster has improved X, but by no means am I going to say he has arrived. He's been better as far as my assessment goes.

Consistency is still huge, and if you look at his points, he gets them in bunches and then disappears. I'm very happy to see him make the strides he has, but production wise even with his uptick this season he still is nowhere near his draft position peers.

I'm hoping that consistency comes, and he has definitely stepped up his game this season. But he has work to do to still.

Agreed fully. I'm not saying he's arrived. All I'm saying is that my expectations are not as high as some of you guys.
My expectations for him this year was 15-20 goals and about 30 assists. He's about there. Next year however will be much more of a challenge for him. He's no longer going to surprise anyone. Teams will know when he's on the ice and will check him much tighter. How he responds to that and how much he levels up his game will determine if he's "arrived."

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducks Leo Carlsson 2oa C would be very similar to Byfield...another C that needs to fill out his frame but spending his 1st season being more productive on the Ducks than Byfield was in the AHL.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's taken Buster 4 years to show he's an NHL player, just in time for his ELC to end and now it's is it a bridge or a max term deal?

This is why you don't marinate your prospects. Buster's next contract will either be an underpayment leading to a massive overpayment on the third one or he will get the Kopitar 7/8 year deal and we don't know if he will live up to that or not yet with such a limited track history.