• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Felix and the 2014 CY

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we have a few bitter Mariner fans this morning. Many thought that the 2014 CY Young Award belonged to Felix.

I really don't care. Here are my two thoughts on the subject:
1. Felix does not need a second Cy Young Award to get national recognition. He already has national recognition. He does not need a second Cy Young Award to authenticate himself. He is certainly authentic. Did he not start the All star game?
2. If Chris Sale hadn't missed 8 starts, the award would have been his. When he was on the mound, he was the best pitcher in the AL last year.

I like to play around with non-traditional stats to try to determine the CY winner. In head-to-head competition with Kluber, I compared Felix' stats to Kluber's in the follwing categories. (The categories in which Felix was better are bolded):

Innings pitched per start
Average WAR per start
BAA
ERA+ (ERA+ is tabulated in a manner that neutralizes the advantage of a pitcher-friendly park. I think the voters may have given Felix enough votes to win if they had given this stat more credibility.)
WHIP
K/9
Quality Start/Start percentage
Difference in team winning percentage when starting versus team winning percentage when not starting

Rob Neyer came up with a CY Predictor formula and it's picked 19 of the last 26 CY winners (73%).

It had Kluber narrowly winning this year. That's surprising because, again, I'm not sure why Hernandez didn't get it.

2014 MLB Baseball Cy Young Predictor - Major League Baseball - ESPN

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, pussy, put me on ignore like your signature says, because unless you plan on opening up so I can fuck you, we've really got nothing to talk about.

nobody would mistake you for a troll

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised there are a lot of butthurt Mariners fans.

I don't get that impression from any of the posts here. We acknowledged it was close and we said Kluber is well deserving. Not sure why you felt the need to make that comment

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Neyer came up with a CY Predictor formula and it's picked 19 of the last 26 CY winners (73%).

It had Kluber narrowly winning this year. That's surprising because, again, I'm not sure why Hernandez didn't get it.

2014 MLB Baseball Cy Young Predictor - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Cezero is right. It was an EOTM thing. Not that Kluber isn't deserving, but I'm not sure the voters can be depended on to cast an unbiased vote in a race this close. I don't think they chose him because they thought he was better. I think they chose him because he was on the side of the Mississippi River most popular with the voters.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get that impression from any of the posts here. We acknowledged it was close and we said Kluber is well deserving. Not sure why you felt the need to make that comment

I'm not sure why that comment has you folks all up in arms. I, likewise, don't get the impression from anyone on this thread - in fact, I think I'm the only one here who's said he was surprised that Kluber won it.

The first post said something about a lot of irritated Mariners fans, or something like that. Butthurt is another way of saying that.

Then someone mentioned what was being talked about on the radio (I'm assuming seattle radio), and I imagined all the Hernandez fans freaking.

It wasn't meant to be inflammatory and it wasn't directed at anyone on this thread. Then that giant pussy lost his shit and started calling names.

Sorry if I offended you folks. I'll remember when I come to the Mariners thread that I need to be a little more delicate with you guys. Well, except for PolarVortex.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more surprised that Hernandez won the Cy Young at 13-12 than I am surprised he did not get one this year.

Ironically, Hernandez failed to get critical run support in at least 4 of his losses.

At the end of the year, he kind of got tired and got hammered at the end.

I disagree that he didn't get it this year, but I can see why he didn't.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cezero is right. It was an EOTM thing. Not that Kluber isn't deserving, but I'm not sure the voters can be depended on to cast an unbiased vote in a race this close. I don't think they chose him because they thought he was better. I think they chose him because he was on the side of the Mississippi River most popular with the voters.

I see your point, and I'd tend to agree that there is certainly an east coast bias. However, it's a little hard to believe in this case. It's not like the Indians are the Red Sox, or Yankees, or a true east coast team. They're the Indians, for Christ's sake. I find it hard to believe that an Indians player would be favored over a Mariner.

Who knows?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first post said something about a lot of irritated Mariners fans, or something like that. Butthurt is another way of saying that.

yes, there are a lot.

none are on here, and we were having a decent discussion about it.

on with your not-trolling, and not calling names, child.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why that comment has you folks all up in arms. I, likewise, don't get the impression from anyone on this thread - in fact, I think I'm the only one here who's said he was surprised that Kluber won it.

Then someone mentioned what was being talked about on the radio (I'm assuming seattle radio), and I imagined all the Hernandez fans freaking.

It wasn't meant to be inflammatory and it wasn't directed at anyone on this thread. Then that giant pussy lost his shit and started calling names.

Sorry if I offended you folks. I'll remember when I come to the Mariners thread that I need to be a little more delicate with you guys. Well, except for PolarVortex.

You can troll me. I don't care. I'm message board - hardened from 9 years on the CBS boards. CBS was not a place for nice people. But, this isn't a troll-tolerant place. If you need an outlet like that, you should find a second boarrd to hang out on.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more surprised that Hernandez won the Cy Young at 13-12 than I am surprised he did not get one this year.

Ironically, Hernandez failed to get critical run support in at least 4 of his losses.

At the end of the year, he kind of got tired and got hammered at the end.

I disagree that he didn't get it this year, but I can see why he didn't.

Not surprisingly, Dole has made an inaccurate comment about baseball.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yeah. there's no reasoning with children, though.

there are some m's fans who are being silly on twitter and such, i'm sure, but it sure wasn't going on in here.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can troll me. I don't care. I'm message board - hardened from 9 years on the CBS boards. CBS was not a place for nice people. But, this isn't a troll-tolerant place. If you need an outlet like that, you should find a second boarrd to hang out on.

as with most of the forums on here, good trolling is almost always appreciated

this one's just a moron

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, there are a lot.

none are on here, and we were having a decent discussion about it.

on with your not-trolling, and not calling names, child.

Look, pussy, you were the first to go to name calling, not me. I was having, and continue to have, a discussion about the thread topic. You got your panties in a bunch because I said I was not surprised that butthurt mariners fans existed. I did not say, nor even imply, that anyone on here was butthurt, but your thin skin got bruised pretty badly and you called me "girlfriend," which in and of itself is pretty hysterical. I picture you as one of those sassy black ladies, talking in a barbershop about this or that: uh-uh, girlfriend, no you di'int.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm trying to discuss the CY Young award, not your yeast infection, so get to steppin'.