• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expectations for next week

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton will probably wind up being the teams all-time leading passer in almost every single category except completion percentage for a year. I think Kenny has that locked down. Dalton doesn't need to be much better, just better in critical situations which is only a few plays per game typically. If he can manage to swing that in his favor, you have a top 5 QB (let me clarify, in the league right now). Problem is, he hasn't figured that out yet and it has been 7 to 8 years now.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A new head coach from the outside isn't going to cater to Dalton because he won't be his mistake.

Quarterback after Quarterback has come into the league and surpassed Dalton.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A new head coach from the outside isn't going to cater to Dalton because he won't be his mistake.

Quarterback after Quarterback has come into the league and surpassed Dalton.

This isn't actually true though. Here is a list of qbs that have come in after Dalton that are clearly better than him.

Mahomes
Russel Wilson (debatable)
Andrew Luck
Watson
Mayfield (too early to call but you can tell)
Wentz (though his injuries are a concern)

That's it for now... That's 6 quarterbacks in 8 years. The truth is that it's hard to find a good qb.... And it's going to be hard to upgrade from Dalton. He's by no means great, but he's better than most of the guys that come and go.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This isn't actually true though. Here is a list of qbs that have come in after Dalton that are clearly better than him.

Mahomes
Russel Wilson (debatable)
Andrew Luck
Watson
Mayfield (too early to call but you can tell)
Wentz (though his injuries are a concern)

That's it for now... That's 6 quarterbacks in 8 years. The truth is that it's hard to find a good qb.... And it's going to be hard to upgrade from Dalton. He's by no means great, but he's better than most of the guys that come and go.

That's the thing with Dalton...

There's about 5 transcendent QBs in the leauge (Brees, Mahomes..)

5 or so very good QBs that can play at that high level under the right circumstances (Ryan, Watson..)

Then there's a group of 7 or 8 QBs that are solid starters . These QBs inevitably end up punching bags in the media but unless you want to gamble and trade 3 first rd draft picks for a high 1st rd QB it's almost impossible to upgrade from them. He's on a fair salary for his level of play so I'm fine trying to win with him unless the wheels fall off.

I was watching the NFLN a few days ago and they were talking about the Jets as a desirable coaching spot because of their "talented young QB" and Dalton as a negative on the Bengals job because you "can't win a SB with him." I've watched Darnold play and I'm not sure how much upside he has over 2015 Dalton.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing with Dalton...

There's about 5 transcendent QBs in the leauge (Brees, Mahomes..)

5 or so very good QBs that can play at that high level under the right circumstances (Ryan, Watson..)

Then there's a group of 7 or 8 QBs that are solid starters . These QBs inevitably end up punching bags in the media but unless you want to gamble and trade 3 first rd draft picks for a high 1st rd QB it's almost impossible to upgrade from them. He's on a fair salary for his level of play so I'm fine trying to win with him unless the wheels fall off.

I was watching the NFLN a few days ago and they were talking about the Jets as a desirable coaching spot because of their "talented young QB" and Dalton as a negative on the Bengals job because you "can't win a SB with him." I've watched Darnold play and I'm not sure how much upside he has over 2015 Dalton.

And honestly, Dalton was a better rookie than Darnold. Maybe everyone is still gambling on Darnold taking huge steps.... But in my mind he's still a question mark.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the pundits were saying how Darnold should have been the #1 overall pick by the Browns. They are still trying to cover their ass a year later even after a year of watching Mayfield and Darnold on their respective teams. They were wrong, dead wrong and now they are in cover up mode until people start forgetting what they said.

I will give them this, I thought Mayfield was the next Manziel. I was obviously way the hell off too, but I never thought Darnold was any good. Honestly, I thought Rosen would be the best of the bunch. I swung and whiffed on that one too.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like comparing crap to poop.
You don't have to "love" Dalton, but to say he's been crap is...well...moronic.

He may not be in that top 8-10 range, but he is a top 15 QB, and has shown that with the right guys around him, is able to win you games. Hell, this year he brought this offense time and time again down the field for big drives, game winning drives. He's not top 10, but he's good enough.

Driskell, in no way, shape or form is good enough. If you ranked all the QB's in the NFL, there are quite a few backups that would be ranked ahead of him. Easily.

You're embarrassing yourself now. Just stop.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And honestly, Dalton was a better rookie than Darnold. Maybe everyone is still gambling on Darnold taking huge steps.... But in my mind he's still a question mark.

Darnold has talent and he had a decent rookie year but like you said it wasn't any better than Dalton as a rookie. Maybe Darnold ends up ab elite/HOF type QB but the odds are against it.

The first thing Andy Reid did when he went to KC was trade 2 second rounders for a Dalton level QB in Smith. He surrounded him with talent to get the most out of him and then when the situation was right Reid made a move to upgrade when Smith was older and the great player was on the board.

A good offensive mind has the same situation here except they don't have to give up 2 picks for the QB and most of the needed skill position talent is already on the roster.