• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expectations for next week

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we are again... A third straight crappy season. A few moments of excitement early in the year, but mostly just a lot of the same crap. Even if you were a believer in the healthy version of this team, you have to acknowledge that their ceiling was probably 9-7 and a one and done appearance in the playoffs. And that's with everyone completely healthy which did not and is not going to happen. So, what do you think happens next week. I see 4 options:

1) Most likely option - Marvin Lewis is granted his opportunity to coach the second year of his current contract. A DC will be announced after interviews - Vance Joseph is the early lead candidate for the position. No other changes.

2) Marvin Lewis walks away or is fired. Nobody knows what happens. Deal is struck between Mikey and Marv. Coaching search underway to which they hire Hue Jackson or Vance Joseph as HC.

3) Same scenario as 2, but they actually conduct real interviews and go outside the organizaiton for a new coach. This is the least likely scenario.

What say you?

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive got to believe its #1 until Mike Brown does or says something to make us believe otherwise. And thats fucking depressing. Thank heavens the Reds are starting to get froggy and giving us some rays of hope.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals don't make proactive moves, but if they do, it turns to shit anyway.

how many years untii the lease is up?

they will make a big push right before the lease is up to trick tax payers into flipping the bill.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who’s ready for the return of Marvin, with Hue and V. Joesph as the coordinators? The whole shitty coaching tree under one roof. Can I get a WHO FUCKIN DEY??

Better get on yall’s names on the waiting list for tickets. PBS is gonna be lit as a motherfucker next year!

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seize the Dey motherfuckers. Buy now!!

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can honestly say I have no idea what the Brown family is doing. Cincinnati folks are desperate for something new.... You'd figure they'd get a 10K per game spike in butts in seats if they simply hired anyone qualified from outside the organization. But, I suppose they've done the math and figure it will cost them more with the requested changes to the franchise, etc.

They also made a very weird deal with the county where they gave up a shitload of cash and future options on the stadium. The only way to interpret the move was that they were being good corporate citizens... Almost as if they plan to stick around for as long as possible. I had assumed they were gone when the lease was up. Weird shit.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can honestly say I have no idea what the Brown family is doing. Cincinnati folks are desperate for something new.... You'd figure they'd get a 10K per game spike in butts in seats if they simply hired anyone qualified from outside the organization. But, I suppose they've done the math and figure it will cost them more with the requested changes to the franchise, etc.

They also made a very weird deal with the county where they gave up a shitload of cash and future options on the stadium. The only way to interpret the move was that they were being good corporate citizens... Almost as if they plan to stick around for as long as possible. I had assumed they were gone when the lease was up. Weird shit.

The Bengals leaving would be a dream come true for me. Seeing as how I never get what I want.....it ain’t happening.

Where’s my beer? I need a drink.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thought I heard something about that on the morning news, but I was half asleep, I'll have to read up on that.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this on Peter King's Monday report:

"Jay Glazer had Lewis out on FOX Sunday, and I don’t doubt it. I know Bengals owner Mike Brown, and I know how much he likes regularity, and I also know this would not be a widely sought job. I remember a few years ago discussing the Bengals job with a league executive, who said, “You mean the 33rd franchise?” The Bengals are not progressive, and they are not an attractive franchise, and I can’t imagine a coach who’d have other options wanting to succeed Marvin Lewis."

Accurate. And hilarious. Can I get a who-dey?

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

"Jay Glazer had Lewis out on FOX Sunday, and I don’t doubt it. I know Bengals owner Mike Brown, and I know how much he likes regularity, and I also know this would not be a widely sought job. I remember a few years ago discussing the Bengals job with a league executive, who said, “You mean the 33rd franchise?” The Bengals are not progressive, and they are not an attractive franchise, and I can’t imagine a coach who’d have other options wanting to succeed Marvin Lewis."

You do get unprecedented job security, a larger than normal say in personnel decisions, and a ton of talent on the offensive side of the ball. A healthy Green, Dalton and a few tweaks on the roster and this team can compete.

Mike Brown is Mike Brown but I don't think this is a bad job.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
just stop.

They're 6-10 playing with a backup QB the final third of the season and without their star WR for the final 8 games.
Realistically this is a middle of the road team with a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball.
If you want to pretend they're terrible or its impossible to win here go ahead.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're 6-10 playing with a backup QB the final third of the season and without their star WR for the final 8 games.
Realistically this is a middle of the road team with a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball.
If you want to pretend they're terrible or its impossible to win here go ahead.

Beginning of season, I had them at 9-7 with an outside shot at 10-6. Considering they got to 6 wins with no Dalton, Green, or Eifert for a large chunk of time this year, and missed Mixon for a few games, then Boyd for the last few game+....it's not hard to fathom them having had a shot at 9 wins, which would have put them squarely in the playoff hunt thanks to the win against Indy to start the year.

Marvin still needs to go. A fresh voice and vision is drastically needed, but offensively, the talent is there. They need some depth and to beef up the OL, but they can cause some issues on offense.

Defensively, they need a lot, mostly at LB and CB, but the DL has excelled despite some injury issues, and Safety play overall has been encouraging.

If this team were any other team but the Bengals, everyone would be talking about them contending next year when everyone returns healthy.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This essentially throws water on the flames for any potential HC hire. Unless Mikey steps away, it’s still hopeless even with Marvin gone.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I don't quite understand is how are the Bengals really that different.... I get it that they don't have a bubble. That just seems sorta silly at this point. And the scouting department is small. But I didn't see anyone really talking much about that when we had one of the best rosters in football in 2015. Unlike many years ago, it seems to me that players don't mind playing here. We have guys that have signed three or four contracts here. Corey Dillon and Carl Pickens have been gone a long time. Former players speak highly of the Brown family and the coaches here. And Hobs has said that assistant coach salary is in the top half. So, is this really an undesirable job? Compared to the signature franchises, yes it's not a desirable position.... But job security is good and I think roster control is likely pretty good here.

Not that this really matters as Hue will be HC, but still....

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the love of God... Driskell, Dalton... it doesn't make any damned difference. They are both average to below average quarterbacks. Hell, Jon Kitna might have been better than Dalton.

yes, we miss Green and Eifert, but that's something you can count on like every season.

They've already lined up Hue to be the next scapegoat, another 6 to 8 win season is on the horizon.

just stay asleep.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the love of God... Driskell, Dalton... it doesn't make any damned difference. They are both average to below average quarterbacks. Hell, Jon Kitna might have been better than Dalton.

yes, we miss Green and Eifert, but that's something you can count on like every season.

They've already lined up Hue to be the next scapegoat, another 6 to 8 win season is on the horizon.

just stay asleep.

Ok, no difference between JD and AD? GTFOH - Man, someone is B-I-T-T-E-R...lol