• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elway

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently quoted. Three main takeaways:
  1. No coaching changes through the rest of the season.
  2. Embarrassed by the play of the Broncos.
  3. Vowing to fix it going forward.
I think John Elway has earned the right to fix the problem that he was a big part of creating. Five division championships, two Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl win gives him that right, IMO.

In my opinion, Elway must do several things:
  • Walk the talk by taking as tough a look at the front office and scouting as the team.
  • Determine if the coaching was bad or if the team delivered to coaches was bad to begin with.
  • Find a quarterback. Period. Free agency and/or draft but find a quarterback.
I know that Elway has been criticized a lot in the Denver and national media but I like that he's finally coming forward and admitting his embarrassment. Now, we'll see if he's up to the challenge. Number 7 has delivered so many times in the past when challenged, so I'm optimistic.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he can. But there is more hope than actual trust that he can.

Not a popular opinion, but in 7 years he has had one great signing and one great draft pick. The great signing led to other FAs, but since PM retired, who have we signed? Denver is no longer a desired destination. As I said before the season started; No QB, No chance. That’s the reality of the NFL.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have faith. I think Elway makes it his mission to find a QB this offseason. Most likely, a veteran who is ready to come in and lead this team to a Super Bowl run right now, while the window is still open. I could see Brees if somehow he became available, but more likely Eli or Alex Smith. Maaaaaybe Cousins, but I seriously doubt he drafts one.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have faith. I think Elway makes it his mission to find a QB this offseason. Most likely, a veteran who is ready to come in and lead this team to a Super Bowl run right now, while the window is still open. I could see Brees if somehow he became available, but more likely Eli or Alex Smith. Maaaaaybe Cousins, but I seriously doubt he drafts one.

I think Elway will do one of each. Draft one and bring in a free agent vet. Covering all angles, if you will.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he can. But there is more hope than actual trust that he can.

Not a popular opinion, but in 7 years he has had one great signing and one great draft pick. The great signing led to other FAs, but since PM retired, who have we signed? Denver is no longer a desired destination. As I said before the season started; No QB, No chance. That’s the reality of the NFL.

Yep, I get it. I still have faith until I don't. It's going to be an interesting off season.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Points everyone I'm most concerned about ownership going forward.
I believe in Elway still but, this off season is huge for org

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember several years ago when people thought Ozzie Newsome was this great GM who could do no wrong when it came to running the Ravens? Well now they're one step above a garbage pile and have been for a few years. Or what about Ted Thompson in Green Bay? My point is GM's have great stretches and not so great stretches, and Elway is on the latter right now.

Elway doesn't have me worried because everytime we've been beaten down like this he goes out and makes a big impact and it helps us a ton(just like after getting our asses stomped by Seattle he goes out and gets Sanders, Talib, Ward, & Ware).

If the QB position was as bad last year as it was this year(and like him or not Siemian was actually 100 times better last year than this year) Elway would've went out and gotten someone but he didn't think he needed it, literally no one here or anywhere else predicted that our QB play would actually get worse even with an improved O-Line and Running game. We all thought that with being improved in those 2 areas and even the same QB play we would be just fine and honestly if had the Line and Running game of this year and Siemian of last year we'd be leading the division.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway took a gambles and failed this season it happens. I bet Cincy and Det fans would be thrilled with Elway GM era. I always hated the spoiled fans thing but, this year I get it. We had a bad for us two years it happens. If we get right HC and get longterm QB solution we'll be fine. If not we might have a few years of this ahead. Bad part its wasting Von's prime years.

So John focus on RT G ILB TE QB RB WR this year. Go QB first at 5 or BPA at 5 (i'd consider taking Barkley if he was there at our pick) We need a legit threat at RB to take pressure off young QB. OT is on table if we don't trade or sign one in FA.

I think OL would look vastly better with a good or great QB added. The issues get magnified because we have the trifecta of suck at QB position.

Last edited:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Elway hire Bill Polian as a consultant or something or bring in Mike Shanahan to work with Gary in the evaluation of the QBs and or do both.

Maybe Elway has learned you can't let young up and comer go like Adam Peters and not replace him with someone as good in fact Elway did not replace him at all and now is looking to add more eyes next year.. Sometimes its a simple question "Would you rather keep your own employee and pay him/her or let them go to the competition"

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens are 7-5.

Ravens are always in the playoff hunt and actually win games in the playoffs. What I would not want Denver to become is Cincy . Always around the playoff hunt but really need to blow it up.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens are 7-5.

And since their SB win they've had 1 winning season and made the playoffs once, if you count this year as a winning season since they'll likely win 2 more games that's 2 winning seasons in 6 years. Not exactly a great team to mold yourself after.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And since their SB win they've had 1 winning season and made the playoffs once, if you count this year as a winning season since they'll likely win 2 more games that's 2 winning seasons in 6 years. Not exactly a great team to mold yourself after.

Whoever said you mold yourself after the Ravens?

I'm just saying the Ravens are far from a good example of what it is like to be a "Bad team" One step above garbage? Really? The Ravens are competitive most years. Yeah, they haven't been great since their SB nor have they been anywhere near garbage, I can think of far worse teams to call one step above garbage and trash their GM then the Ravens. Just saying. They are better then you have them out to be.

Big difference between that and saying you would "mold" your team after them. They also went 8-8 two of those years.

So yeah they have had 1 "losing" season since their SB team, considering a major rebuild with that team after their SB not exactly what I call a garbage franchise.

The Flacco contract is my biggest issue with them.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I think Ravens I think top OLineman, running game, Defense and a great kicker.

What is the identity of Denver on offense?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I think Ravens I think top OLineman, running game, Defense and a great kicker.

What is the identity of Denver on offense?
3 and out, that’s the highlight.

The lowlight is another turnover.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember several years ago when people thought Ozzie Newsome was this great GM who could do no wrong when it came to running the Ravens? Well now they're one step above a garbage pile and have been for a few years. Or what about Ted Thompson in Green Bay? My point is GM's have great stretches and not so great stretches, and Elway is on the latter right now.

Elway doesn't have me worried because everytime we've been beaten down like this he goes out and makes a big impact and it helps us a ton(just like after getting our asses stomped by Seattle he goes out and gets Sanders, Talib, Ward, & Ware).

If the QB position was as bad last year as it was this year(and like him or not Siemian was actually 100 times better last year than this year) Elway would've went out and gotten someone but he didn't think he needed it, literally no one here or anywhere else predicted that our QB play would actually get worse even with an improved O-Line and Running game. We all thought that with being improved in those 2 areas and even the same QB play we would be just fine and honestly if had the Line and Running game of this year and Siemian of last year we'd be leading the division.
Your probably only one that thinks Ozzie has lost any respect or Thompson either. Both teams have suffered major injuries yet last time I checked Ravens are making serious run now and GB with Huntley who's only threat is his legs, is still alive with AR waiting in wings for playoff push. Your better of slamming Elway than those two GMs .

Reactions: CEH

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in Maryland and listen to sportstalk radio when I am in my car. Unless my daughter is with me, then she takes control and listens to her garbage and I usually go off about how great music was back in my day and today's music is crap. But anyway, that's not the point. Point is that people are growing very tired of Ozzie Newsome here. His track record in the draft has been slipping the past few years and he hasn't been hitting on his early round guys like he had in the past. He can still find a gem in the later rounds, mostly on the OL (where there is usually good value in the later rounds since it is not as glorious as the "skill" positions), but the list of busts (Adam Elam, Courtney Upshaw, Arthur Brown, Brashad Perriman, etc) outweigh the hits (CJ Mosely, Kelechi Osemele, maybe Ronnie Stanley, maybe Tim Jernigan, though a lot of people are very critical of this pick, considering their needs at WR and the guys who they "could have drafted"). Word has been all season that if they don't make the playoffs this season that the coaching staff is gone and possibly the whole front office. And it may happen anyway if they sneak into the playoffs and get ousted in the first round.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s baffling is Elway’s incompetence when evaluating offensive talent in the draft. Way too many misses there. We drafted D. Walker over Kamara.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in Maryland and listen to sportstalk radio when I am in my car. Unless my daughter is with me, then she takes control and listens to her garbage and I usually go off about how great music was back in my day and today's music is crap. But anyway, that's not the point. Point is that people are growing very tired of Ozzie Newsome here. His track record in the draft has been slipping the past few years and he hasn't been hitting on his early round guys like he had in the past. He can still find a gem in the later rounds, mostly on the OL (where there is usually good value in the later rounds since it is not as glorious as the "skill" positions), but the list of busts (Adam Elam, Courtney Upshaw, Arthur Brown, Brashad Perriman, etc) outweigh the hits (CJ Mosely, Kelechi Osemele, maybe Ronnie Stanley, maybe Tim Jernigan, though a lot of people are very critical of this pick, considering their needs at WR and the guys who they "could have drafted"). Word has been all season that if they don't make the playoffs this season that the coaching staff is gone and possibly the whole front office. And it may happen anyway if they sneak into the playoffs and get ousted in the first round.

I think people need to realize though, nobody is saying the Ravens are "GREAT", we're just simply saying they aren't a good example of a "step above garbage" comment. Historically the Ravens have been a pretty good franchise since Cleveland moved their in terms of W/L... I do feel it might be time for a change there as they appear to be stuck in a standstill right now with the team. They also seem to be 1 of about 3 teams that year in and year out cannot stay healthy and overpaid an average QB top tier money. Rahim Moore should get some of that salary. ;)

The Ravens are far from a garbage franchise.