• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ECU head coach hire

SoonerJohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montgomery is he guy and for good reason. A Shelby, NC native who played in the NFL and plenty of in-state coaching experience. The key to building up for a school like ECU is to be able to lock up the best athletes withing their own back yard. The hope is Scottie can keep the better athletes in Eastern NC from heading to UNC, NC State, or Duke.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montgomery is he guy and for good reason. A Shelby, NC native who played in the NFL and plenty of in-state coaching experience. The key to building up for a school like ECU is to be able to lock up the best athletes withing their own back yard. The hope is Scottie can keep the better athletes in Eastern NC from heading to UNC, NC State, or Duke.

ECU is living in lala land if they think they can get the best recruits to choose them over legitimate power 5 programs. They're going to be stuck with the ones that transfer out, don't qualify academically, or were not offered just like they have been the past several years. This hire isn't helping change that

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just noticed your join date. Welcome to tHoop!!

SoonerJohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ECU is living in lala land if they think they can get the best recruits to choose them over legitimate power 5 programs. They're going to be stuck with the ones that transfer out, don't qualify academically, or were not offered just like they have been the past several years. This hire isn't helping change that
Any school can have potential. Rome wasn't built in a day. Go back 20 years and tell college football fans you're from the future and Baylor is out-recruiting Texas.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any school can have potential. Rome wasn't built in a day. Go back 20 years and tell college football fans you're from the future and Baylor is out-recruiting Texas.

Sure thing, I completely understand what you're saying about Baylor. But, ECUs potential is not out recruiting all four power five teams in a non power five league. Baylor found a way to win without the top talent and used that success to improve their recruiting. ECU is at best the third option in North Carolina, even if they're successful. And, one of 7 D1 teams in the state.

SoonerJohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure thing, I completely understand what you're saying about Baylor. But, ECUs potential is not out recruiting all four power five teams in a non power five league. Baylor found a way to win without the top talent and used that success to improve their recruiting. ECU is at best the third option in North Carolina, even if they're successful. And, one of 7 D1 teams in the state.
I'm from Central Florida where UCF is in the exact same boat as ECU. UCF will never out-recruit Florida or Florida State but they are looking at Scott Frost to lock down more talent from the area. George O'Leary was very pushy for commits and UCF lost out on a number of stellar, Florida athletes that choose to go to a Temple or NC State instead. Barring dramatic changes in landscape, ECU and UCF aren't going to secure 5-star athletes over the bigger schools but they better 3-star athletes need to be sold on staying home and getting better playing time opportunities. The occasional 4-star athlete that grew up a fan, shouldn't be sold by another school to leave town.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor has the cash to compete with P5 network/conference money. Put them in conference USA and it wouldn't be happening not even close.

SMU is the highest ranked non P5 school on rivals and they are 55th. It will be hard to do much better.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WF is the 3rd choice very few kids are going to pick ECU over WF unless there are academic issues.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you make a good point.

the only big difference I can see here is that Baylor, while a doormat, was still in the Big12 and getting P5 money.

But still, your point shows it can be done.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason you'd hire a guy like Chizik is he can go in, flash his ring, talk about Cam and maybe get some guys ECU wouldn't normally get. Hiring an assistant at Duke doesn't do that for you.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus WVU plus VT plus UVA plus USCe plus Clemson plus...

UNC has some talent but not like Texas does and it gets hit by about as many P5 teams.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WF is the 3rd choice very few kids are going to pick ECU over WF unless there are academic issues.

only NC school to win the ACC in the past twenty five years. :D

#humblebrag

Wake and ECU actually had a five game series in the early 2000s and Wake won each time. I don't think the ECU people were very crazy about the idea of losing five straight to Wake.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wake Forest has very little going for them. But, more than ECU.

If a top athlete wants to pick a good school he's likely more interested in Duke than Wake Forest, if he is competitive and cares about winning. Wake Forest is a great school, but they struggle to recruit.

Duke/UNC/NC State are top three. Followed by Wake/App/ECU. Different kids want different things. For some people Wake will be option 1 or 2. For others it could be out of the equation all together.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wake Forest has very little going for them. But, more than ECU.

If a top athlete wants to pick a good school he's likely more interested in Duke than Wake Forest, if he is competitive and cares about winning. Wake Forest is a great school, but they struggle to recruit.

Duke/UNC/NC State are top three. Followed by Wake/App/ECU. Different kids want different things. For some people Wake will be option 1 or 2. For others it could be out of the equation all together.
I'll buy Duke right now with Cutcliffe as the 3rd choice but ECU is not ahead of WF. Historically I would say WF has been 3rd but Cutcliffe's success certainly has changed that.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for Ruffin McNeil, ECU.