• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early Niner draft thoughts

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
not desparate at all, but when you're being questioned, you should be able to explain why? so i'm responding, not hammering it.

are you REALLY convinced CK is a "perenial Pro Bowler"? after six or so games, you're 100% sure he is an 'elite' QB? if so, fine.

Is any draft pick, much less a guy taken in the 20s, ever even close to a sure "elite" QB? Come on, Deep. This is a huge stretch even for you. If there were a QB who was that much of a sure thing, he would be gone by pick 2, much less 20.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
again, if you already think Kaep is the "Qb of the future", no problem here.

let me present it in another matter, forget who we have now at QB......if we trade up to around 20th and Baalke/Harbaugh has identified a QB they feel is a perenial Pro Bowl QB, would you draft him? for some odd combination of reasons, this QB falls and he fits the 49ers to a "T". if they thought this guy was going to be elite like Brady, Peyton, or Rodgers, would you draft him?

So I have a few thoughts on this.

First, this isn't a random collection of players hypothetically eligible to be drafted. What QBs in this draft would you consider to be "perennial pro bowl" QBs?

Second, what else is available? Is there a "perennial pro bowl" player available at WR? How about NT? DE (Maybe a JJ Watt type)? At CB? Pass rusher?

Would you draft your hypothetical QB, relegating CK - who all have to acknowledge has been better than expected, and at least very good to this point - to the bench, at the expense of drafting a pro bowler at one of the positions listed above?

How frustrated are you with the play of Kaepernick?

How many years have we traveled this road to the draft deep? You have your remarkable vague generalities that ignore the actual prospects who are actually eligible so that it can fit your ever-changing draft philosophy.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also deep, should the Seahawks draft a QB in the first round if there is someone that they project higher than they projected Wilson last year? Odds are there will be a QB available with a better grade than the one Wilson had.

Should the Jaguars not draft a QB if there isn't one available with a better grade than what they gave Gabbert? How about the Jets and Sanchez?

At what point should a team start to ignore the draft grade they gave their starting QB and start evaluating him as a pro? How many times from 2003 to 2010 do you think the Patriots chose not to draft a QB with a better grade than they gave Brady?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With regards to adding a QB in the draft, I have no issue with drafting one in the middle rounds. What I would insist on is that we get a guy who can do the same things as CK7. I don't want to be in a position where we have to change the scheme for the backup if he's needed for a game or two.

That's the main reason I would want to move on from Tolzien. I think he would have been perfectly acceptable if we had stuck with Smith, but running the read-option and pistol portions of the play book . . . I just can't see it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
With regards to adding a QB in the draft, I have no issue with drafting one in the middle rounds.

Tyler Bray!

And Landry Jones is ranked way too low.

I hope the Niners are still looking for an eventual STARTING QB, not a backup. JMHO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm slightly thread-jacking, but say you have a choice between LSU safety Eric Reid or Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert (and they're you're ONLY choices). Which one would you rather have?

I'm looking at Reid as a SS prospect in the unlikely but possible case the Niners don't pick up Whitner's hige 2013 salary & Goldson leaves as a FA).

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like macdonald better than reid

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm slightly thread-jacking, but say you have a choice between LSU safety Eric Reid or Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert (and they're you're ONLY choices). Which one would you rather have?

I'm looking at Reid as a SS prospect in the unlikely but possible case the Niners don't pick up Whitner's hige 2013 salary & Goldson leaves as a FA).

Matt Elam FLA

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
T.j McDonald brings so much to the special teams unit as well. I love him!

I heard a comparison a while back, and from what little I've seen of him, I can't disagree; he kind of strikes me as another Taylor Mays. It seems like the majority of his highlights are when he comes flying in (from wayyy off the line) to hit someone up high. I haven't seen more than a couple games for many safeties in this class, but I'd prefer Vaccaro or Elam.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was never a huge fan of Tim's son...

Elam has been great too (as jas Vaccaro), but what about Reid VS Eifert?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also deep, should the Seahawks draft a QB in the first round if there is someone that they project higher than they projected Wilson last year? Odds are there will be a QB available with a better grade than the one Wilson had.

Should the Jaguars not draft a QB if there isn't one available with a better grade than what they gave Gabbert? How about the Jets and Sanchez?

At what point should a team start to ignore the draft grade they gave their starting QB and start evaluating him as a pro? How many times from 2003 to 2010 do you think the Patriots chose not to draft a QB with a better grade than they gave Brady?

it isn't a higher or lower draft grade than what you have on the team, ie it isn't relative to Kaep's draft grade.

you just evaluate all QB's in the draft, and see which one(s) project "perenial Pro Bowler"....in the 49ers system? if none, then drop my "mention it in passing", cause it IS low odds of happening.

if there is one, you then project where Kaep is based on his body of NFL work? you wouldn't go back to his draft grade. it appears some have already decided Kaep is the guy, and fine. for me, not convinced Kaep is this good yet.

the Patriots aren't using Brady's draft grade to decide if prospects are draftable? but very creative in coming up with that, how long did it take you to think of it? anyway, they evaluate QB prospects every year like all teams. IF someone is projected "perenial Pro Bowler", they next see where Brady is based on his NFL body of work.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it isn't a higher or lower draft grade than what you have on the team, ie it isn't relative to Kaep's draft grade.

you just evaluate all QB's in the draft, and see which one(s) project "perenial Pro Bowler"....in the 49ers system? if none, then drop my "mention it in passing", cause it IS low odds of happening.

if there is one, you then project where Kaep is based on his body of NFL work? you wouldn't go back to his draft grade. it appears some have already decided Kaep is the guy, and fine. for me, not convinced Kaep is this good yet.

the Patriots aren't using Brady's draft grade to decide if prospects are draftable? but very creative in coming up with that, how long did it take you to think of it? anyway, they evaluate QB prospects every year like all teams. IF someone is projected "perenial Pro Bowler", they next see where Brady is based on his NFL body of work.

It really doesn't take long to come up with counters to your draft "points."

Who are the perennial pro bowl QBs in this year's draft? You said you would want to look at QBs first. Who are the guys you're interested in? What system do you want them for? The Kaepernick system, or the Smith system?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never a huge fan of Tim's son...

Elam has been great too (as jas Vaccaro), but what about Reid VS Eifert?

if eifert is there i think we gotta take him. insert eifert instead of walker and we'll have a great 1-2 combo at TE.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smalls;2673036[B said:
]I heard a comparison a while back, and from what little I've seen of him, I can't disagree; he kind of strikes me as another Taylor Mays[/B]. It seems like the majority of his highlights are when he comes flying in (from wayyy off the line) to hit someone up high. I haven't seen more than a couple games for many safeties in this class, but I'd prefer Vaccaro or Elam.

Not even close. I've seen enough games to see that he can cover wr's in the slot, rb's out of the backfield, as well as te's. He has a frame to add weight, which is perfect for a ss (where I want him groomed to play).

I'm still for drafting a cb and moving Culliver to fs.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
culliver is too good at cb to play fs. not to mention he has the size to cover bigger wr's.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
culliver is too good at cb to play fs. not to mention he has the size to cover bigger wr's.

Our pass defense would improve so much with a player like him at fs. The cb position is pretty strong this season, Culliver's production could be matched.

Maybe Rhodes, Amerson, Poyer, Ryan, Wilson could all be cb's that could match what Culliver is doing.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our pass defense would improve so much with a player like him at fs. The cb position is pretty strong this season, Culliver's production could be matched.

Maybe Rhodes, Amerson, Poyer, Ryan, Wilson could all be cb's that could match what Culliver is doing.

with all the pass happy offenses we need 3 starting calibre corners

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Improve so much? Huh? Are you unaware we had a ~top-five pass defense this year? And that is to go with a top-five run defense. I think moving Culliver back inside would worsen both our run and pass defense.