• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early Niner draft thoughts

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bleacher report threw out a couple names today of guys that would fit the Niners well and since they have been mentioned here, I wanted to get a feel as to whether or not you would draft them and if so, what would be the highest round you would take him.

Lattimore-I'd take him in the 3rd round, let him sit and rehab a year on IR, then you have a potential three headed monster of Lattimore, Hunter, and James.

Mathieu-I'd take him in the 4th or 5th and use him in dime packages to start and acclimate him to the NFL game. I know he is an idiot with regards to his marijuana use, but they call him Honey Badger for a reason and I have always loved the way he is a ball hawk.

I have not done my annual intensive draft research yet, but was also wondering if there are any 3-4 DE that any of you would consider in the 1st or 2nd round....and why that particular person. We desperately need to find an heir apparent for Justin Smith and RJF is nice and all, but IMO he's no better then a rotational guy/spot starter at best.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You who I want? Deandre Hopkins. He is going to be a stud reciever.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We better scout some kickers. May not need to use a draft pick but there better be one in camp.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no draft expert but here's what we'll need in no particular order:

K- might be an UDFA
DL- Soap and J Smith are getting old. Not much proven talent outside of Ray Mac.
S- It's no sure thing Goldson will be back. Whitner's not getting younger.
Pass rushing depth. Can never have enough.
RBs- Hunter is on the mend. Might never be the same. Gore's on the tail end.
WR-Moss is old, Manny and KW on mend, Ginn and Jenkins may be useless.
TE- Delanie may get paid elsewhere. Stone hands 1/2 the time.
CB- Can never have enough.
C-weakest link on line.

Don't we have a ton of picks this year? We may need them depending on who we resign and any FA's we might pick up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
3rd round is too high for Lattimore. He may never even play a down in the NFL. I'd say a 5th might be worth the risk.

Wouldn't touch Mathieu 'til the 6th round at the earliest. Probably wouldn't even draft him (depending on who else was there).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
first, i'd trade up for quality vice quanity, believe we have 13 picks and this team can't fit half of that. if there is no willing trade partner, then trade some picks into 2014.

second, i'd look to draft a QB and if not there, OLB next. an OLB with pass rushing skills.

third, since we'll be drafting late in each round, the odds of a QB or OLB are low. also don't think we'll be able to trade up THAT high? as such, just draft the best talent left on the board. there IS a small consideration for positional value, but generally i'd take the best talent remaining (rounds 1 -3). whether linemen, ILB's, DB's, offensive skill players, i'd take the best talent left.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Offensively the only position I would look strongly at is C. If a stud TE, RB, or WR falls in our laps then I think you do give it a serious look but for the most part the offense has a lot of young depth.

Defensively we have to get younger and more depth at DL and Safety. Need to start grooming a replacement to Justin Smith and our Safety depth even with Goldson is terrible and would like to start grooming someone to step in there as well. Looking strongly at NT would be a priority as well.

I would also spend a pick on a kicker as well. We have more late round picks then we need and we basically tied and lost a game due to kicking and look at how the strong legged rookie kickers have helped the Rams and Vikings this year.

I think we should be aggressive in trading up as well. The roster is loaded with talent so we need more quality then quantity so I would use the bounty of late round picks to move up and grab impact players.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
first, i'd trade up for quality vice quanity, believe we have 13 picks and this team can't fit half of that. if there is no willing trade partner, then trade some picks into 2014.

second, i'd look to draft a QB and if not there, OLB next. an OLB with pass rushing skills.

third, since we'll be drafting late in each round, the odds of a QB or OLB are low. also don't think we'll be able to trade up THAT high? as such, just draft the best talent left on the board. there IS a small consideration for positional value, but generally i'd take the best talent remaining (rounds 1 -3). whether linemen, ILB's, DB's, offensive skill players, i'd take the best talent left.

I'd say we're fine at QB. CK is starting and Tolzien seems like he would do fine as a backup. We can sign an UDFA or even Josh Johnson again if we need a 3rd.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
3rd round is too high for Lattimore. He may never even play a down in the NFL. I'd say a 5th might be worth the risk.

Wouldn't touch Mathieu 'til the 6th round at the earliest. Probably wouldn't even draft him (depending on who else was there).

Mathieu vs Fitz, Floyd, Baldwin, Rice, Quick (if he ever develops)

No thanks. His size doesn't bode well in the NFC West.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

That was my first incliation, but the way the draft is shaping up, I think the best value is going to be in the late 2nd & the 3rd round.

If Nix entered the draft, he'd top my wish-list; but he went back to school. :(

The only 2 players for whom it would be worth trading up, IMO, is Jarvis Jones & John Hankins. And that's only if they fall far enough. Otherwise, I'd probably want to trade down. If they stay put, I'd be happy with Justin Hunter, Keenan Allen, John Jenkins, Tyler Eifert or maybe a high-ceiling guy like Ezekiel Ansah.

The Niners should draft Tyler Bray regardless. Perfect long-term project at QB. Most mock drafts I've seen have him going somewhere in the 3rd round. That's a no-brainer this year with the lack of QB talent available.

Other favourites: Sean Porter & Cornelius Washington (for depth as a 3-4 DE).

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd say we're fine at QB. CK is starting and Tolzien seems like he would do fine as a backup. We can sign an UDFA or even Josh Johnson again if we need a 3rd.

and thats fine for you, and i do admit it is a small chance.

for me wouldn't pass on a QB i felt has the potential for 'Pro Bowl'. if i scouted someone who fit great in my offense, wouldn't hesitate to draft him.

"CK is starting.." isn't enough for me, while we may be FINE, we can't pass on getting better. while i DO like Kaep up to now (6 games?), no guarantee he'll continue elevating? also no guarantee he stays healthy.

like Tolzien too for what little we've seen? but that is just it....far too small a sample to think he is a good QB. wasn't he an UDFA?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

You really think that?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You really think that?

As your prototypical backup yes I think he would be fine in our offense.

Seems fairly accurate and can run an Alex Smith type of game with high percentage passes and hand the ball off in the running game.

I thought him making the roster over Josh Johnson spoke well of what Harbaugh and staff thinks of him.

I think their plan all along was to eventually have CK start and Tolzien as a backup.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have to disagree. Tolzien is useless IMO. So is Josh Johnson. Might as well forfeit the season with one of them at QB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As your prototypical backup yes I think he would be fine in our offense.

Seems fairly accurate and can run an Alex Smith type of game with high percentage passes and hand the ball off in the running game.

I thought him making the roster over Josh Johnson spoke well of what Harbaugh and staff thinks of him.

I think their plan all along was to eventually have CK start and Tolzien as a backup.

again, no problem here with your opinion. i'm certainly not attacking CK nor Tolzien, do like what they've done SO FAR.

for me, it is more ensuring we do our best to obtain the best QB we can. it is difficult to sustain a competitive team without that elite QB, so you always look to QB as your first priority.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why people don't think that Mathieu can play in the NFL. He reminds me of Bob Sanders both in stature and in physical play. The guy is a straight up ball hawk. He's has issues but his talent in undeniable. With our stable of picks, I don't think 4th or 5th is too high for a guy with his abilities. Not saying that McShay or Kiper are the end all/be all for draft experts (they are both blowhards, I know) but both graded him out as a 2nd rd grade prior to the weed issues that got him thrown off the LSU team. I think a 4th or 5th IS taking a flyer on a guy of his abilities.

As far as Lattimore, he is coming back from a similar injury as McGahee, which leads me to believe that he can and will be able to resurrect his career and as big of a character guy as he is, he is a talent that I would be willing to A) take in the 3rd/4th and B) wait for to get healthy. I like that kid a lot and if doctors think he could make a 100% recovery with time, then I would love to have him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hasn't lattimore had multiple knee injuries?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk, has he? If so, maybe there is some cause for concern....especially if we are talking about the same knee.