• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early Niner draft thoughts

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
and thats fine for you, and i do admit it is a small chance.

for me wouldn't pass on a QB i felt has the potential for 'Pro Bowl'. if i scouted someone who fit great in my offense, wouldn't hesitate to draft him.

"CK is starting.." isn't enough for me, while we may be FINE, we can't pass on getting better. while i DO like Kaep up to now (6 games?), no guarantee he'll continue elevating? also no guarantee he stays healthy.

like Tolzien too for what little we've seen? but that is just it....far too small a sample to think he is a good QB. wasn't he an UDFA?

Just to clarify here, you want a QB with our first round pick? Kaepernick has put up historically good numbers for a guy making his first seven career starts. He's about as athletically gifted a guy as you will find. He's smart. He's a hard worker. He's squeaky clean. He's only 25. Sure, he's not a proven pro bowler or HOFer at this point, but I wouldn't touch a QB in the first three rounds. I'm fine with adding a guy to groom or play backup, but I think the assumption has to be that we're set at starting QB going into this next season regardless of what happens in the playoffs. If Kap struggles next season, then we reevaluate. Based on what we've seen so far, I see absolutely no reason to seriously look at starting QBs.

Kap is the guy we looked at and saw pro bowl in two years ago. We took him 36th overall, and he's really done nothing to dissuade us from that notion. What're the chances, in a markedly worse QB class, that we'll like something in the late-20s or early-30s more than we liked him?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have to disagree. Tolzien is useless IMO. So is Josh Johnson. Might as well forfeit the season with one of them at QB.

Useless for the season, perhaps. I think Tolzien could come in and keep this team competitive for a second half, or a game or two. Obviously in an ideal situation you always want to be grooming a high upside player at QB, especially with a coach like Jim Harbaugh. But IMO Tolzien could fit the Shaun Hill mold nicely.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
idk, has he? If so, maybe there is some cause for concern....especially if we are talking about the same knee.

He had a season-ending knee injury (the other knee) last season, too.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bleacher report threw out a couple names today of guys that would fit the Niners well and since they have been mentioned here, I wanted to get a feel as to whether or not you would draft them and if so, what would be the highest round you would take him.

Lattimore-I'd take him in the 3rd round, let him sit and rehab a year on IR, then you have a potential three headed monster of Lattimore, Hunter, and James.

Mathieu-I'd take him in the 4th or 5th and use him in dime packages to start and acclimate him to the NFL game. I know he is an idiot with regards to his marijuana use, but they call him Honey Badger for a reason and I have always loved the way he is a ball hawk.

I have not done my annual intensive draft research yet, but was also wondering if there are any 3-4 DE that any of you would consider in the 1st or 2nd round....and why that particular person. We desperately need to find an heir apparent for Justin Smith and RJF is nice and all, but IMO he's no better then a rotational guy/spot starter at best.

Inoticed lattimore was walking around the sidelines today without any noticeable limp. That's good.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
3rd round is too high for Lattimore. He may never even play a down in the NFL. I'd say a 5th might be worth the risk.

Wouldn't touch Mathieu 'til the 6th round at the earliest. Probably wouldn't even draft him (depending on who else was there).

I agree with your comment regarding Lattimore. I disagree with your comment pertaining to Mathieu. He's well worth a 4th round pick for me. I may even gamble much earlier by investing a 3rd on him. We have A LOT of picks this year, not saying we need to squander them them but we can at least afford to gamble on players here and there. Our locker room is too strong (Justin, Moss, Gore, Staley, Vernon, Whitner, Willis, etc.) would keep him in check.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The bleacher report threw out a couple names today of guys that would fit the Niners well and since they have been mentioned here, I wanted to get a feel as to whether or not you would draft them and if so, what would be the highest round you would take him.

Lattimore-I'd take him in the 3rd round, let him sit and rehab a year on IR, then you have a potential three headed monster of Lattimore, Hunter, and James.

Mathieu-I'd take him in the 4th or 5th and use him in dime packages to start and acclimate him to the NFL game. I know he is an idiot with regards to his marijuana use, but they call him Honey Badger for a reason and I have always loved the way he is a ball hawk.

I have not done my annual intensive draft research yet, but was also wondering if there are any 3-4 DE that any of you would consider in the 1st or 2nd round....and why that particular person. We desperately need to find an heir apparent for Justin Smith and RJF is nice and all, but IMO he's no better then a rotational guy/spot starter at best.

Ezekiel Ansah (1st round), Margus Hunt (2nd round), Sharif Floyd (1st round).

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What is your scouting report for each, why do you think they should be drafted where they are? With a new baby in the house, I haven't watched as much college football this season as I normally do so this question isn't to pin your ass to the wall but really just curious as to what you have seen in them this season (or thus far) that would warrant a 1st or 2nd rd grade.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify here, you want a QB with our first round pick? Kaepernick has put up historically good numbers for a guy making his first seven career starts. He's about as athletically gifted a guy as you will find. He's smart. He's a hard worker. He's squeaky clean. He's only 25. Sure, he's not a proven pro bowler or HOFer at this point, but I wouldn't touch a QB in the first three rounds. I'm fine with adding a guy to groom or play backup, but I think the assumption has to be that we're set at starting QB going into this next season regardless of what happens in the playoffs. If Kap struggles next season, then we reevaluate. Based on what we've seen so far, I see absolutely no reason to seriously look at starting QBs.

Kap is the guy we looked at and saw pro bowl in two years ago. We took him 36th overall, and he's really done nothing to dissuade us from that notion. What're the chances, in a markedly worse QB class, that we'll like something in the late-20s or early-30s more than we liked him?

if the right guy is there i would pull the trigger. but i don't see that guy being there in the first round this year.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't say that we shouldn't look at another QB in the first 3 rounds. I would like us to grab Landry Jones in the early second round is he is still there, but that's just because i think he could be a steal at that point.

We still need a quality back up QB. I think it's becoming more and more evident that your back up QB is one of the most important spots to fill on a team's roster. Look at what Kirk Cousins did for the Redskins this year. They would not be in the playoffs if it wasn't for him. On the other hand the Bears may have actually made the playoffs if they did have a quality back up.

In an ideal world i would like for us to upgrade the DL with the first pick, but i would be more than happy with getting a guy like Landry Jones. I do realize i am in the minority on that, though.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yes, am saying if Baalke/Harbaugh sees someone they feel is a Pro Bowl QB, draft him in round 1. ie they project someone even higher than Kaep. admittedly the odds of this are low being we pick late and can't trade up HIGH. as such, don't want to keep "pounding" on this "QB in round 1". just consider this a 'mention' vice going all out for a QB.

like what Kaep has done so far, and we'll see how he continues in the play-offs? but as of TODAY, my opinion is he hasn't shown enough where i'd pass on someone i project "QB of the future". if after six games YOU'RE totally convinced, fine here.

about waiting till next year......the QB you project as a solid fit, will not be there the following year. yes, you can wait for another year but then you don't know if/when you'll be in position to nab a QB? you might have to wait another year, or another?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes, am saying if Baalke/Harbaugh sees someone they feel is a Pro Bowl QB, draft him in round 1. ie they project someone even higher than Kaep. admittedly the odds of this are low being we pick late and can't trade up HIGH. as such, don't want to keep "pounding" on this "QB in round 1". just consider this a 'mention' vice going all out for a QB.

like what Kaep has done so far, and we'll see how he continues in the play-offs? but as of TODAY, my opinion is he hasn't shown enough where i'd pass on someone i project "QB of the future". if after six games YOU'RE totally convinced, fine here.

about waiting till next year......the QB you project as a solid fit, will not be there the following year. yes, you can wait for another year but then you don't know if/when you'll be in position to nab a QB? you might have to wait another year, or another?

How were they projecting Kap when they traded up to take him 36th overall? I'm not sold on Kap as a HOFer, but I see no reason to give up on him, and I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that we'll find someone we like more than him. Deep, you're the guy who says we should find starters with our first three picks minimum. Adding a QB when we have Kap wouldn't be a waste, per se, but it wouldn't be a likely starter, either. If the value is great, you have to consider any position, especially QB. But QBs are almost always picked above their value, not lower.

Obviously we liked Kap a lot when we drafted him. I've got to think his play since then has only increased our opinion of him. If there's a guy sitting there who we think is a HOF player, we take him. Do you honestly believe that will happen? Or is this just more Deep draft fantasyland, hypothetical nonsense?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How were they projecting Kap when they traded up to take him 36th overall? I'm not sold on Kap as a HOFer, but I see no reason to give up on him, and I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that we'll find someone we like more than him. Deep, you're the guy who says we should find starters with our first three picks minimum. Adding a QB when we have Kap wouldn't be a waste, per se, but it wouldn't be a likely starter, either. If the value is great, you have to consider any position, especially QB. But QBs are almost always picked above their value, not lower.

Obviously we liked Kap a lot when we drafted him. I've got to think his play since then has only increased our opinion of him. If there's a guy sitting there who we think is a HOF player, we take him. Do you honestly believe that will happen? Or is this just more Deep draft fantasyland, hypothetical nonsense?

cause i'm thinking we'd trade up to 20th overall, 21st overall, 22nd overall. where you can get an even better prospect than 36th overall. the point is better prospect, not the final spot, so please don't miss the point.

are you turning this into a big argument? i already said this isn't meant to pound the table for a QB. this is meant for the low possibility this TOP prospect falls to us. how many times do i need to repeat it?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
cause i'm thinking we'd trade up to 20th overall, 21st overall, 22nd overall. where you can get an even better prospect than 36th overall. the point is better prospect, not the final spot, so please don't miss the point.

are you turning this into a big argument? i already said this isn't meant to pound the table for a QB. this is meant for the low possibility this TOP prospect falls to us. how many times do i need to repeat it?

A better prospect than Kap was when drafted, or better than he is now? Cause as said, Kap is better now than he was when we drafted him. Based on what I have seen of Kap, I wouldn't go into this draft looking to replace him. I'd go into it looking to strengthen his supporting cast on both sides of the ball. IMO it's a better use of our time to discuss those options than this mysterious top prospect who falls into the 20s.

I'm not trying to turn this into a big argument, it's just such an unlikely hypo that it hardly bears considering.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't say that we shouldn't look at another QB in the first 3 rounds. I would like us to grab Landry Jones in the early second round is he is still there, but that's just because i think he could be a steal at that point.

We still need a quality back up QB. I think it's becoming more and more evident that your back up QB is one of the most important spots to fill on a team's roster. Look at what Kirk Cousins did for the Redskins this year. They would not be in the playoffs if it wasn't for him. On the other hand the Bears may have actually made the playoffs if they did have a quality back up.

In an ideal world i would like for us to upgrade the DL with the first pick, but i would be more than happy with getting a guy like Landry Jones. I do realize i am in the minority on that, though.

Maybe someone who can run and throw! To keep the Offense doing the same schemes! The QB from No Illinois if he can throw better? Go 49ers!! :roll:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lattimore is still around in the middle rounds I wouldn't mind if the 49ers took a shot on him, the last guy they drafted with two rebuilt knees in the 3rd round turned out OK. But I'd be really surprised if lightning struck twice

Although, I'm really not that concerned about RB. I have faith in Hunter and LMJ once Gore is no longer the best RB on the team.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be happy with Lattimore and Mathieu in the mid rounds (3 - 5). Lattimore needs to sit the year out but is expected to come back healthy. Mathieu would make a beast at nickle corner and kick returner.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your scouting report for each, why do you think they should be drafted where they are? With a new baby in the house, I haven't watched as much college football this season as I normally do so this question isn't to pin your ass to the wall but really just curious as to what you have seen in them this season (or thus far) that would warrant a 1st or 2nd rd grade.

ESPN Scouting reports
DE Eziekiel Ansah
6-6, 273 lbs
BYU

Scouts Grade92
Position Rank6
Overall Rank19
40-YD Dash4.73
ConferenceMWC

Production 4 2010: (6/0)  3-0-02011: (12/0) - 7-3-0

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Exceptional combination of size and speed. Has a long frame, is naturally well-proportioned and displays outstanding mobility and natural agility for size.

Durability 1
No durability issues to our knowledge.

Intangibles 2 Born in Accra, Ghana. Parents are Edward and Elizabeth. Speaks Twi and Fante, two local Ghanaian dialects. Enrolled at BYU in 2008 and participated on the track team in 2009 before joining football team in 2010. Had never seen a football game on television prior to leaving Ghana for the United States.

Pass Rush Skills 2 Highly disruptive pass rusher  both inside and outside  and he's just scratching the surface. Displays a quick first step. Outstanding natural athlete for size. Smooth mover. Can quickly change directions. Shows elite closing burst to the QB. Has enough speed and natural torso flexibility to threaten with speed and power off the edge. Also a quick penetrating interior rusher who can be highly disruptive in that role. Needs to be more efficient with hands and do a better job of setting up blockers.

Versus the run 3 Has a tendency to let pads rise and can get pushed around when he does. Can get rag-dolled on some double teams. When he stays low and gets his hands inside, he can do a solid job of holding the point initially. Displays ability to strike with initial punch and press the OL backwards. But needs to improve lower body strength and play with more consistent leverage. Must develop a better base. Gets knocked off of feet too often. At his best when on the move. Can quickly penetrate the backfield, has the change-of-direction skills of a 230-pound LB, and he closes like a strong safety. Will still take the bait on occasion and needs to continue to improve his discipline. But has made huge strides in those areas. Is doing a much better job of diagnosing plays and finding the football.

Versatility 1
Rare traits to play multiple positions in multiple schemes. Has enormous potential in this area. Have seen him play NT, DT, DE and OLB. Has also been a difference maker on special teams. Versatility should only improve with more experience playing the game.

Instincts/Motor 2 Plays hard. Bounces back up if he gets knocked off his feet, and will fight to get back in play. Effort is outstanding. Not a natural tough guy but is improving in this area. Starting to see him play with more of an edge late in 2012 season.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharif Floyd DT
Junior
6-3, 298 lbs
Florida

Scouts Grade89
Position Rank7
Overall Rank29
40-YD Dash5.17
ConferenceSEC

Production 2 2010: (13/2) - 23-6.5-0; 2011: (11/11) - 46-6.5-1.5; Career: 1 blocked kick (2011)

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Prototypical three-technique size with good straight-line speed for size.

Durability 2 Has played in all 24 games in which he has been eligible during first two seasons, including 13 starts.

Intangibles 2 Good football character. Has overcome extreme hardship to get to this point in his life. In September of 2011, Florida declared Floyd ineligible for violations of NCAA preferential treatment rules, including receiving $2,500 cash over several months from an individual not associated with the university. He was suspended for first two games of 2011 season and was ordered to repay the money to a charity. However, Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley and head coach Will Muschamp have spoken highly of Floyd for his honesty during the process and also were publically outraged at the NCAA's decision in this case, noting Floyd's background. A Philadelphia native, Floyd grew up without his parents in Philadelphia, PA. He comes from financial hardship and spent time living with his grandmother when he wasn't staying with a high school coach, guidance counselor and others.

Versus the Run 2 Best suited to be developed as a five-technique, which is where he takes a good majority of snaps at UF. Very good size and mobility but needs to improve power and still developing overall technique. Plays too high frequently and will lose his power source. Also gets legs cut out from underneath him too often. But when he plays low he shows ability to anchor versus the run. He also has a great motor and loves to chase. He moves extremely well for his size and he will make some plays in pursuit. He lacks explosive initial pop and must continue to improve his strength in order to maximize NFL potential.

Pass Rush Skills 4 Still a work in progress. Will never have the speed and bend-edge ability to be a great edge rusher and lacks the explosive first step to become a consistently disruptive penetrator as a three-technique. However, he does have an intriguing combination of size, arm length, strength-potential and athleticism. Show good change of direction skills for nearly 300 pounds. Flashes some power as a bull rusher when he fires out low and keeps pads low. Has long arms and frequently gets arms up in time to disrupt throwing lanes. Learning how to use his hands. Has a lot of wasted steps. Needs to show more discipline with snap awareness.

Quickness (hands/feet) 2
Very unique skill set. Has the body of a DT but the mobility and strength of a DE. Lacks ideal initial burst off the line and does not have classic three-technique explosiveness. But he is very mobile and agile for his size. Shows above average quickness with his hands but is still learning how to use them.

Toughness/Motor 2 Elite motor but below average toughness. Flashes a mean streak and wont shy away from a challenge, but he's not your classic tough guy. Plays too nice at times. Occasionally will turn back to double team when he's defeated. But absolutely love this guy's effort. Plays game with passion. Is relentless as a pass rusher. Pursues hard from behind. Will get back up when knocked down and look to get involved in the play.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Margus Hunt DE
6-8⅛, 272 lbs
SMU

Scouts Grade60
Position Rank21
40-YD Dash4.73
ConferenceC-USA

They had no real info on him but players with his ranking usually go in the 5th round

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the niners move up to get someone (Pick 15ish) this would be my first choice

Johnathan Jenkins

DT
Senior
6-4⅛, 363 lbs
Georgia

Scouts Grade93
Position Rank4
Overall Rank15
40-YD Dash5.16
ConferenceSEC

Production 3 2009-'10: Gulf Coast (Miss.) C.C.; 2011: (14/7) - 28-6-3

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Prototypical NT size but below average straight-line speed but adequate mobility for size.

Durability 2 Played in all 14 games during only season at FBS level.

Intangibles 3 Academic issues prevented him from signing with a major college out of Maloney High School (Meriden, CT). Worked hard as a backup early in 2011 season (his first at UGA) and was able to take over the starting NT job for final seven games. Noticeably improved from South Carolina to Georgia Tech on tape.

Versus the Run 1 Massive two-gap NT with wide trunk. Has adequate-to-good initial quickness and body control for size. Usually gets into good initial position. Has tree trunks for arms and flashes ability to lock out. Must continue to improve hand usage, though. Will flash ability to shed quickly and make tackles in confined area (3:21 remaining 2nd QTR vs. GTU 2011). Also makes some plays in pursuit.

Pass Rush Skills 3 Will never be an area of strength but does show the combination of short-area quickness, power and closing burst (for size) to contribute.

Quickness (hands/feet) 3 Above average foot quickness for such a massive DL. Quicker and more athletic than fellow NT prospect Kwame Geathers. Has a quick first step. Shows adequate lateral agility. Feet are quicker than hands. Needs to be more violent and efficient with hands.

Toughness/Motor 2 Will wear down a bit during course of game but plays with a solid motor for a 330-plus pound DL. Will pursue downfield. Shows a mean streak.