• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early Niner draft thoughts

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm starting to wonder if we should try and trade our first round pick to a team that will likely have a high pick next year. I'd really love for us to have a chance to get Clowney and there really aren't that many guys I'm interested with our first round pick right now. However, that is taking a big risk, but one that might be worth it IMO.

Chances are way too slim. No one assumed that the colts would suck in 2011. No one assumed that the chiefs would suck that bad in 2012. How can we predict which team would have the worse record?! If you want to take that route it would have to be a situation in which we would have to give both our 2nd round and our 4th round for a 2014 first round pick. Cleveland/Jets/Vikings/Buffalo are 1 key injury away from being awarded the #1 overall pick.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chances are way too slim. No one assumed that the colts would suck in 2011. No one assumed that the chiefs would suck that bad in 2012. How can we predict which team would have the worse record?! If you want to take that route it would have to be a situation in which we would have to give both our 2nd round and our 4th round for a 2014 first round pick. Cleveland/Jets/Vikings/Buffalo are 1 key injury away from being awarded the #1 overall pick.

I would be okay with that. I think the over all talent will be better next year anyways.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I really like what I've seen from Sharrif Floyd tonight. Florida is getting worked, but he's made some impressive plays.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love it if we started drafting like the Patroits. Trading down and adding picks and depth. It would also give us the opportunity to trade up for a real difference maker is there. I've always been jealous of what the Pats do in the draft because I love their wheel and deal style. The targer players and then they go and get them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to look at a back up QB for Kaep during this draft. I don't like our depth in that area right now.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to look at a back up QB for Kaep during this draft. I don't like our depth in that area right now.

we should bring in a vet. i dont really see anything in the draft.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point, assuming they cut or trade Alex, the QB position is pretty thin. Ya know what too, the QB search still isn't over. Not until someone starts to rival the numbers that Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, and Manning put up.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, assuming they cut or trade Alex, the QB position is pretty thin. Ya know what too, the QB search still isn't over. Not until someone starts to rival the numbers that Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, and Manning put up.

I don't think there is any chance Alex Smth returns next season. I agree with the second half, we may not yet be done with the QB search but I hope we are. I'm tired of looking for a QB, just like I was always tired of looking for a reciever for all those years, a LT for all those years, a pass rusher for all those years and a CB that was worth a crap.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who though?

The expected FA QBs are Flacco, Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell and Drew Stanton. Not including the guys who will get cut.

Nothing really great there, since Flacco won't really be available. Maybe Moore? I wouldn't want Jackson, Campbell or Stanton.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The expected FA QBs are Flacco, Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell and Drew Stanton. Not including the guys who will get cut.

Nothing really great there, since Flacco won't really be available. Maybe Moore? I wouldn't want Jackson, Campbell or Stanton.

Yeah Flacco isn't going anywhere, as for the others I'm not really sure I'd want any of those dudes to be honest lol. If I had to choose, it would probably be Matt Moore but I wouldn't be doing back flips over that one. Plus, why couldn't the Phins just keep hiim around if hes going to be in the same role here?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be okay with that. I think the over all talent will be better next year anyways.

Many weeks ago I made a comment in reference to Jadeveon Clowney - I said that I would pull a Ricky Williams type like offer to attain his rights. I was ridiculed and laughed at. Well, I still stand behind that proposal and we will see what he does in the NFL when his time comes. If the opportunity presented itself (the team with the # 1 pick was willing to take 3 first round picks for him, I'd do it). I'd even go as far as giving up 4 first round picks for him. My reasoning is that I don't see us picking no earlier than the 25th pick for these next four/five upcoming years. I'd give those picks up easily for Clowney's services. Laugh at me now! "Don't believe me, just watch...!!"

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd love it if we started drafting like the Patroits. Trading down and adding picks and depth. It would also give us the opportunity to trade up for a real difference maker is there. I've always been jealous of what the Pats do in the draft because I love their wheel and deal style. The targer players and then they go and get them.

We have 53 draft picks this year. If you add more picks, what do you plan on doing with those extra players we aren't able to add on our roster. I do not understand why "this year" you'd want to stock pile on more picks. Most fans here want to package our picks to move up higher, as opposed to accumulating more picks.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would trade up for Clowney and we won't get the opportunity bc hes going to be wanted by everyone. He would be a luxury pick and I wouldn't pull a Ricky Williamsfor one of those. Especially since hes not a great fit for our defense.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would trade up for Clowney and we won't get the opportunity bc hes going to be wanted by everyone. He would be a luxury pick and I wouldn't pull a Ricky Williamsfor one of those. Especially since hes not a great fit for our defense.

Yes he is. He can play on any defense. He's more athletic than Aldon, how wouldn' he be a great fit for us?

In addition, having him on a roster we would see a little bit more 4-3 fronts. Smith and Mcdonald would slide inside and Aldon and Clowney at the end spots would terrorized opponents. Willis and Brooks on the outside, Bowman playing MLB...Geezus!! 80% of our looks would be a 3-4, however I can see the remaining 20% of our looks being in a 4-3 scheme. No defensive coordinator in their right minds would limit the looks he'd give offenses if someone like Clowney was on our roster. Again, Clowney is a freak of nature. He's bigger and more athletic than Aldon, anything Aldon can do, and can do! So I don't see why anyone would think he wouldn't fit our defense.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm starting to wonder if we should try and trade our first round pick to a team that will likely have a high pick next year. I'd really love for us to have a chance to get Clowney and there really aren't that many guys I'm interested with our first round pick right now. However, that is taking a big risk, but one that might be worth it IMO.

It's not really a big risk when you consider the odds are better that the 1st round pick you traded is going to be higher then where ever we wind up drafting "likely the 25+ range". Not to mention we'd likely get a 4th rounder tagged along with the trade.

Now odds of getting a pick high enough to get Clowney are low but you could still wind up with a decent draft pick in the following draft.

I mean the year we traded our first for New England's 28th to pick Staley the Patriots wound up drafting 10th with our pick and got Mayo. Off hand I think they flipped the 4th we sent them for more picks.

So unless there is someone we must have in the 1st round this year when we draft I would flip that 1st rounder for a 1st next year and a 4 this year in a heartbeat.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he is. He can play on any defense. He's more athletic than Aldon, how wouldn' he be a great fit for us?

In addition, having him on a roster we would see a little bit more 4-3 fronts. Smith and Mcdonald would slide inside and Aldon and Clowney at the end spots would terrorized opponents. Willis and Brooks on the outside, Bowman playing MLB...Geezus!! 80% of our looks would be a 3-4, however I can see the remaining 20% of our looks being in a 4-3 scheme. No defensive coordinator in their right minds would limit the looks he'd give offenses if someone like Clowney was on our roster. Again, Clowney is a freak of nature. He's bigger and more athletic than Aldon, anything Aldon can do, and can do! So I don't see why anyone would think he wouldn't fit our defense.

a 4-3 would leave aldon basically 1on1 which he should be able to beat. that would be downright dirty

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Sorry if I'm repeating anyone, haven't read the whole thread. But this reminded me that the Skins will only part with pick 24+ this season. That trade for RGIII might actually look great two years down the road, and the Rams, while obviously aided quite a bit by two additional first rounders, may not benefit as much as I'd feared. All the more reason to hope the Skins beat the Hawks, I guess....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
again, if you already think Kaep is the "Qb of the future", no problem here.

let me present it in another matter, forget who we have now at QB......if we trade up to around 20th and Baalke/Harbaugh has identified a QB they feel is a perenial Pro Bowl QB, would you draft him? for some odd combination of reasons, this QB falls and he fits the 49ers to a "T". if they thought this guy was going to be elite like Brady, Peyton, or Rodgers, would you draft him?

Why would we forget who we have at QB now? What if Harbaugh and Baalke think Kaepernick is a future pro bowler? This is a guy who, in his first seven career starts and without the benefit of an offseason as the starter or a scheme tailored to him, has a 5-2 record over a tough stretch of schedule, a 98.3 passer rating (7th in the league), and a 76.8 QBR (3rd in the league).

Again, why are you assuming that the guy we can take at 20 or 21 is a better move than a guy who has already shown he can play at a very high level in the NFL? You're acting as if Kap's value is what it was on draft day in 2011. How many teams would give up a first rounder for him based on what he's shown to date? You think the Jags or Vikings might give up Ponder or Gabbert for him?