• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Drew Tate has big game in Calgary Stampede's season premiere

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure would've liked to see Tate surrounded by more talent while at Iowa. Gutsy kid and a competitor, which I always appreciate. Glad he's doing well professionally.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's like Sampson

crop_19548175023.jpg

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clem,

Tate's antics only carried him so far with his teammates. One year...and teammates are okay with Tate's antics. Two years...it got old. Three years...and players quit on him. This problem is also the fault of the coaching staff that allowed Tate's antics to go to far.

Now if Tate plays his cards right, he should be set financially for the rest of his life from playing in the CFL. And I certainly hope that he does set himself up financially...as well as learning how to be a better teammate.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoops..what in the world did you inject into your veins...Meth will kill you man.

Tate had ZERO running game, He is 2nd all time passing yards, 2nd all time passing TD's, 2nd all times wins for a starting QB. What else could he do. If the rest of the team tried to win as much as he did, who knows how far they could have went. Tate isn't recognized by many as one of the great QB's in Iowa history solely because he didn't take us to big bowl games, ie. Rose Bowl, but for Pete's sakes, that guy was a GAMER.

Note, he only came to Iowa because Chris Leak turned us down and went to Florida, oh, and he beat Chris Leak in a bowl game. Leak was down to Florida and Iowa, and we know how that went.

So don't tell me about Tate's antics. Did he smear the program with a drug arrest? r*pe conviction? girlfriend stalking? No, No, and No. Give the guy some credit.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gengljer,

I've given Tate props. He was a gamer at Iowa. He won and produced! That is unquestioned. What could have been though? I remember games late his junior year, and as a senior. He publicly ripped his teammates during games and his players tuned him out.

I never said Tate smeared the program with drugs, rapes, stalkings, etc. I said his teammates got sick of the antics in the locker room, the practice field, and during games. Teammates get turned off after a point in time. I wouldn't be surprised if Tate's WRs made Tate look bad on occasion. But that point is a totally different conversation.

Tate's antics cost him!

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who "quit" on him? Was it the 7th string running back or the horsesh*t WRs? The kid was first-team All-Big Ten when he had average talent surrounding him. Hell, wasn't Warren Holloway a senior and maybe had caught like 10 passes his entire life? That one play pretty much sums up Tate....scrambled around for his life and threw a perfect pass to a kid who really had no business being in a Hawkeye uniform.

As far as antics and calling out his teammates, that's what leaders do. I'll take a dozen Drew Tate's throwing a fit on and off the field because he's upset to lose, vs. James Vandenberg who just kind of shrugs his shoulders and mopes off the field any day of the week. That's passion, heart....whatever you want to call it.....shows he cares.

Only Hoops could poo poo a kid like Tate. I'll bet you think Chuck Long was overrated too, huh?

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if Tate plays his cards right, he should be set financially for the rest of his life from playing in the CFL.

And HUH???? You know he has a base salary of $300K/year, right? After taxes and such, that is not a lot of money, especially considering his career will likely not last more than 10 years at most. Maybe he has endorsement deals up there, not really sure. But to say he should be "financially set for LIFE" with a salary like that is laughable, as are most of your posts.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clem,

Again, you are off-base with your reasoning here. No one questions the RB injuries that Tate dealt with and the fact that Tate WAS a gamer for the Hawkeyes. You talked of the bad WRs that Tate had to throw to. That is the fault of the coaching staff for not bringing in better recruits for Tate to throw to. When Tate ripped his players on Saturday, in a packed stadium, and on TV...that antic will only go so far for him. The coaching staff allowed that to happen, and they are also part of the problem. If Tate's WRs were bad, this is an aspect of the game that Tate needed to work on --- making his teammates (WRs) better in a fashion that pays dividends.

The play to Holloway that you mentioned was another blown coaching call. Holloway's defender let him go and Hinkle nearly runs his defender right into Holloway for a tackle that ends that game. Tate makes the throw...Holloway makes that catch...and Hinkle's defender misses the tackle. Iowa wins.

There are ways to make your teammates better. And there are ways that players turn their teammates off.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clem,

I thought you were smarter than that. My mistake.

CFL money isn't the same as NFL money...and I think you GET that point. As long as Tate produces, he'll get paid well above that of a backup...and I think you GET that point too. Tate has been locked up for awhile with Calgary. But it's a business...I think you GET that point too.

Time will tell if Tate can manage a 6-figure salary annually. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here. My guess is that he makes more than the $300,000 that you mentioned.

Your lack of logical reasoning is also highly laughable.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clem,

I thought you were smarter than that. My mistake.

CFL money isn't the same as NFL money...and I think you GET that point. As long as Tate produces, he'll get paid well above that of a backup...and I think you GET that point too. Tate has been locked up for awhile with Calgary. But it's a business...I think you GET that point too.

Time will tell if Tate can manage a 6-figure salary annually. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here. My guess is that he makes more than the $300,000 that you mentioned.

What CFL QBs are making - Winnipeg Free Press

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As is saying a guy making $200K/year from age 22 to mid 30s should be "set for life" financially, lol. Go GET that.

Again, only Debbie Downer could call someone like Tate out. Par for the course for you Hoops.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: