• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Does VT win the ACC in the next five years?

Does VT win an ACC Championship in 5 years if Fuente stays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a feeling but if Clemson wins the playoffs, I have a hard time believing Dabo's assistants will stay on. Clemson is one hell of a team right now for sure, but things like this last only so long until lesser teams start poaching assistants for HC / elevated spots.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does winning the Coastal Division & then getting stomped by Clemson in the championship game count? If not, then make it a no.

TigersBleaux

Self-Deprecating
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,999.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does winning the Coastal Division & then getting stomped by Clemson in the championship game count? If not, then make it a no.

VT has three options going forward in the foreseeable future.

A. Lose Coastal to Miami
B. Lose Championship game to Clemson
C. Lose Championship game to FSU

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a feeling but if Clemson wins the playoffs, I have a hard time believing Dabo's assistants will stay on. Clemson is one hell of a team right now for sure, but things like this last only so long until lesser teams start poaching assistants for HC / elevated spots.

Maybe so, but thus far in his career whenever he had to replace a coordinator he's always upgraded.

Scott & Elliott are better than Morris who was better than Billy Napier.

Venables was a massive upgrade over Kevin Steele.

Just this off-season we lost our DT and DE coaches and didn't miss a beat.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT has three options going forward in the foreseeable future.

A. Lose Coastal to Miami
B. Lose Championship game to Clemson
C. Lose Championship game to FSU

What makes you think there is an option C? The dude hasn't even coached a game yet. Granted Miami beat VT and ND, they were still vastly overrated. They need to upgrade at QB to really win the ACC. They haven't had a QB with the "it" factor since what, 2001-2ish?

Maybe so, but thus far in his career whenever he had to replace a coordinator he's always upgraded.

Don't imagine Venables staying for the long term.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente Yeah 1: won 10 games and made the ACC Champ, lost to Clemson by 7 with trash roster
Fuente Year 2: won 9 so far with shitty QB who was never meant to be starter, limited skilled position skill

Once we can fill some of the roster holes from the Beamer era, I think we'll be better. Should make it 2-3 times to the ACC Champ game in the next 5 years, so I'd expect us to win at least once.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fuente gets things rolling with the offense they have a shot because the defense is always good

It's definitely possible the issue is they most likely have to beat Swinney to do it

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't imagine Venables staying for the long term.

I believe he'll stick around longer than people think.

For one thing his son Jake will join the team next year. Then there's this:

Venables isn’t going to leave Clemson for just any job

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables told Bo Mattingly of SportsTalk, a syndicated radio show in Arkansas, on Monday that he has had opportunities to be a head coach throughout his career, and as recently as last week, but his moral compass has told him to be loyal to Clemson.

“Coaching can be a vicious and nasty cycle,” Venables said. “The way I looked at it, now you have to move and change jobs every three or four years or you are going to be chasing a job. I never wanted to be one of those coaches that were a vagabond coach living out of a suitcase and trying to go from this contract to that contract and did not have a place to call home or a place to call family.

“So I felt maybe people did not understand what my intentions were. I did not come to Clemson so I could get a head job because for some reason I could not parlay a head coaching job from where I was, that couldn’t be further from the truth. You don’t know me. Nobody asked me if that is what I thought.”

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami isn’t winning the next five division titles, especially if Florida State gets better.
The last 3 conference championships before Clemson destroyed Miami were decided by less than one possession. Not sure what makes Clemson invincible.

Well we certainly can watch and see what happens. They look pretty solid

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't know. College football is fucking crazy. 5 years ago I wouldn't have guessed we would be rolling the way we are now, 7 straight years with 10+ wins, 3 straight ACC C'ships, 3 straight play off appearances, and a natty ..... who would've thunk it? Not to mention our Seniors have 50 wins under their belt, one more and that will be the most ever by a senior class in the history of college football.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. As long as you guys keep recruiting like you have, I don't think coaching changes will matter that much in the big picture...even if they aren't "home run" replacements. Talent can cover up a lot of coaching errors. Not all of 'em, but a hell of a lot of 'em.

TigersBleaux

Self-Deprecating
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,999.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think there is an option C? The dude hasn't even coached a game yet. Granted Miami beat VT and ND, they were still vastly overrated. They need to upgrade at QB to really win the ACC. They haven't had a QB with the "it" factor since what, 2001-2ish?

Its FSU, they will always have the talent, and if he was able to get a top ten class to Oregon, he will get the talent at FSU. Marcus Vick and Tyrod Taylor both had the it factor. It takes more than just a QB to win a conference championship.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't get a chance at the top teams in the conference with his QB, who's really really good. And their back up QB situation is probably one of the worst in the country.

And his team was the only team that finished ranked in the AAC in 2016, so it's hard to get ranked wins when you only play 1(FSU) and they were out manned from a personnel standpoint. And it's not exactly like Riley is known for defense, OU was below average defensively this year, and from an efficiency standpoint were worse than last year.

My guess is they'll be a 10-2 or 11-1 team next year, provided Francois stays healthy.
Alright. When FSU wins up as the top offense next year, we'll revisit this. You're overselling him dramatically given his track record.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright. When FSU wins up as the top offense next year, we'll revisit this. You're overselling him dramatically given his track record.

I'm not saying they'll be the #1 offense, but I can guarantee their defense won't be as bad as OU's.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they'll be the #1 offense, but I can guarantee their defense won't be as bad as OU's.
How? What has Taggart ever done to support that? I guess FSU's schedule should at least allow for it. I don't see any real offenses on their schedule unless ND is able to easily replace all that they're losing.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? What has Taggart ever done to support that? I guess FSU's schedule should at least allow for it. I don't see any real offenses on their schedule unless ND is able to easily replace all that they're losing.

Well he did take the Oregon defense from 108th in defensive efficiency in 2016 to 35th in 2017(better than OU, with worse talent) so I'd say that's a start. And add to it FSU's defense was 18th in defensive efficiency, so I'll say again, I can guarantee it will be better than OU's defense was this year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he did take the Oregon defense from 108th in defensive efficiency in 2016 to 35th in 2017(better than OU, with worse talent) so I'd say that's a start. And add to it FSU's defense was 18th in defensive efficiency, so I'll say again, I can guarantee it will be better than OU's defense was this year.
Why are you allowed to pick and choose when the efficiency metrics make sense and when they don't? Oregon sucked on defense. 76th in points against? Over half of their opponents scored 28 or more points, and only two opponents failed to hit 20.

I'll take Oklahoma's 52nd ranked scoring defense in a better conference for offensive talent any day. 6/13 of their opponents scored 20 or fewer points.