• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DL Depth

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he had emphasis on the "another."

Well thought he meant he wanted a guy capable of playing multiple positions. I took it as maybe we didn't have that guy thus bringing over another guy....

:typing:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These last 2 games will be key for the fringe guys. Interested to see who will make it out of Dobbs, williams, tukuafu and siliga.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Tukuafu hasn't shown me anything that would sway me to keep him over Dobbs. Maybe Williams to some degree cause I think Tukuafu right now is stronger than Ian but that's it.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Correct me if I'm wrong but I though I read somewhere that Williams was also taking snaps in parctice at DE not only at NT...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong but I though I read somewhere that Williams was also taking snaps in parctice at DE not only at NT...

Nothing I can recall accurately, I know there was a "depth chart" released a week ago that had Williams 3rd string DE....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there's no doubt in my mind........whomever makes the roster will have earned it fair and square. if Williams and/or Dobbs don't survive final cut, not going to complain. every one of these back up linemen has one quarter and one game to show more stuff.

thats one good thing about this new coaching staff, this off-season.......they started with a clean slate with most of these guys.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's no doubt in my mind........whomever makes the roster will have earned it fair and square. if Williams and/or Dobbs don't survive final cut, not going to complain. every one of these back up linemen has one quarter and one game to show more stuff.

thats one good thing about this new coaching staff, this off-season.......they started with a clean slate with most of these guys.

Very true deep, all though I would be shocked if if Dobbs didn't make the final cut. I'm waiting to see who gets released from other teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very true deep, all though I would be shocked if if Dobbs didn't make the final cut. I'm waiting to see who gets released from other teams.

agree, up to this point my guess is Dobbs will make it.

final cuts does decrease his odds, i'd say there will be vet back-ups hitting the market?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, up to this point my guess is Dobbs will make it.

final cuts does decrease his odds, i'd say there will be vet back-ups hitting the market?

Hopefully, but at this point it's hard to say who might become available...any thoughts?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hopefully, but at this point it's hard to say who might become available...any thoughts?

sorry no thoughts. cause even if i looked thru other teams, don't know which 3-4 guys would suit Fangio? its just too easy to pick 'named' players, but their skill set has to fit.

again, not pushing for a vet back-up, but do agree Baalke and staff should do due dilligence. IF someone fits better, then try to sign him? if no one is worth signing, then i'd be fine using Williams and/or Dobbs as back-ups. cause if they're ceiling is high, better to secure them now.

also, although not likely to happen, in a big crisis we could sign a guy DURING the season? yeah, this isn't ideal but its only in a 'crisis'.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
sorry no thoughts. cause even if i looked thru other teams, don't know which 3-4 guys would suit Fangio? its just too easy to pick 'named' players, but their skill set has to fit.

again, not pushing for a vet back-up, but do agree Baalke and staff should do due dilligence. IF someone fits better, then try to sign him? if no one is worth signing, then i'd be fine using Williams and/or Dobbs as back-ups. cause if they're ceiling is high, better to secure them now.

also, although not likely to happen, in a big crisis we could sign a guy DURING the season? yeah, this isn't ideal but its only in a 'crisis'.

I too have no qualms about bringing in a vet if someone that fits become available. The thing that worries me is that both players might not clear waiver if they do not make the 53 men roster. Williams was a very sought after UDFA before he signed with the Niners, those same teams would be interested if gets waived. And with what Dobbs has shown in pre-season so far, there are teams who would take a flier on him. Right now both Dobbs and Williams are possible part of the Niners core players if they develop currectly. So the question is, are the Niners wiling to gamble that they clear waivers and gets stashed in PS and not get poached?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the question is, are the Niners wiling to gamble that they clear waivers and gets stashed in PS and not get poached?

That's what we've been discussing. I'd rather keep 'em and see how they develop than sign someone with a lower ceiling for 'depth." I think we'd lose both of them if they were exposed.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I too have no qualms about bringing in a vet if someone that fits become available. The thing that worries me is that both players might not clear waiver if they do not make the 53 men roster. Williams was a very sought after UDFA before he signed with the Niners, those same teams would be interested if gets waived. And with what Dobbs has shown in pre-season so far, there are teams who would take a flier on him. Right now both Dobbs and Williams are possible part of the Niners core players if they develop currectly. So the question is, are the Niners wiling to gamble that they clear waivers and gets stashed in PS and not get poached?

bottom line is both these guys will continue to practice, play in pre-season, and show what they got? in the end we'll pursue the better back-ups based on play.

if these guys show enough potential, don't worry. if they get cut, then they weren't good enough.

btw - in the case of Williams (bolden above), reputation is now overtaken by actual play. he's being judged on what he does now, so wouldn't 'cling' to Williams cause other teams are interested.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it's difficult to know if there will even be any better guys that get cut. Still...somehow every year there are guys who end up getting cut that leave me scratching my head. We better be fairly certain that they could step right up to the plate in that case, though. Unless someone else comes out i would have to agree with you and stay with Dobbs/Williams and hopefully they continue to improve.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO Ian Williams didn't look good this past game, he couldn't hold the line at either NT nor DE? the first priority of 3-4 linemen is hold the line.

i understand a linemen can't be solid against 'quick' double teams, but not talking about those plays.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
These last 2 games will be key for the fringe guys. Interested to see who will make it out of Dobbs, williams, tukuafu and siliga.

5th guy: Williams
6th guy: Dobbs
7th guy: Tukuafu (may get cut if we keep only 6)
practice squad: Siliga